Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (now Re-Reckoning)

I have a very odd relationship with Skyrim. I think it's an amazing game, and have ploughed so many hours into it, but I still rage against the fucking thing for being so broken,. The thing is it's not broken in a big way, just thousands of very small ways. the one thing the Elder Scroll games do is they make a very convincing world, where you actually go "What's over there?" start walking and then found out. Amalur feels...I want to say constricted but that's not what I mean. The world feels boxed in, like a set of levels rather than a 'world'. Of course that might have something to do with the fact IT'S NOTHING LIKE FUCKING SKYRIM*. The devlopers have made a rod for their own fucking back with that one.

*this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just my current axe I have to grind.

This seems to be in short supply in South Yorkshire, no copies in Barnsley, got the last copy from Gamestation in Meadowhall, £42.99 though!

Luckily I had traded a shedload of stuff to get this and add more cash to my ever burgeoning Vita fund.

It better be good.

Question RE: Coilsbane Ruins

The missus has killed a necromancer in there and there's a book. I saw a quest prompt/finish come up but I didn't pay any attention to it, but she's not sure he was part of any quest. Was he?

To answer your question:

Your quest is to kill 10 big fat dudes but, when you reach the end of the ruins (which look awesome btw), you find out this dude was controlling them and says he can't let you live. Once you kill him, you finish the quest.

And some screenshots (spoilered to save space for folk). I don't look particularly interesting yet - I'm only level 10 - but the game itself is proper gorgeous. So colourful!

ScreenShot_2012_02_1117_41_18.jpg

ScreenShot_2012_02_1117_44_45.jpg

ScreenShot_2012_02_1122_43_45.jpg

I also just found a blue hammer with 56 damage which, compared to everything else I have which is in the 20s and 30s, kicks SERIOUS ass. They're really, really slow, though, so you get knocked about a lot trying to use them but when you hit...DAMN. Things stay hit!

Loving this so much :wub:

I also just found a blue hammer with 56 damage which, compared to everything else I have which is in the 20s and 30s, kicks SERIOUS ass. They're really, really slow, though, so you get knocked about a lot trying to use them but when you hit...DAMN. Things stay hit!

Loving this so much :wub:

I've now picked up a 50+ dagger and longbow and am caning pretty much everyone I meet (I'm a level 12 scout). I am getting slightly worried that I'll be a little overpowered when I get back to the main quest but am loving this so much that I'm already planning on playing a new game on the hardest difficulty as soon as I get through this playthrough.

Last night I crafted a bad ass dagger, rank 98 or whatever that number means. It's got lightning damage, poison damäge and bleed damage on top of the poison and bleed I get on every weapon I carry. Things are getting crazy with mini bosses suddenly losing half their health due to my very big critical hit chance. I've pretty much maxed out the bow too. When I charge it up seven flaming arrows shout out, it's like a medieval shotgun.

It's a great game, and the scenery gets really awesome when you move further out to the east, to the plains. I've got over 350 000 in gold, but things get pretty expensive the further in you get.

I've specced exlusively in finesse.

I must have put a good 8 hours into this yesterday, doing the Webwood / Canneroc sector and then moving up north into the Didenhil area. The basic idea was to get the stash sorted but of course that soon got sidetracked into carrying bags of bones around amongst other things.

I'm finding the whole experience smooth and compulsive - usually by this time minor iritatations become apparent (like the hotkeying in Skyrim and various inventory management aspects of this game which were pointed out succintly by a poster here very early on) but I haven't found anything like that here, let alone any bugs or graphical glitches. The only problem is that sometimes the lore stones are hard to hear against the background of waterfall noise etc. I don't have any issue with the camera at all.

Playing on hard as a rogue with daggers and bows with that skill which blinds a group of enemies before sending a hail of blades out is working well, but the impression I had from the demo was that any combination of weapons and skills was feasible.

Above all, it's a great adventure into the unknown - for all their strengths and charms, the worlds of Elder Scrolls, Albion and so on are familiar ones to us now and this is not. Ok. the enemy types so far at least are familiar to the point of being cliched maybe but the whole Webwood sequence where you ask around about the Widow, most dismiss the story as one to scare kids with, but a few believe, then the lore stones start to retell the story as you travel on towards the inevitable confrontation, it all builds up superbly. Then there is a little Canneroc kids primer where the A-Z are all arachno orientated.

Oh, and at least Barton recognised a fellow Varani - made that particular decision an easy one to take!

Oh, and I've found the Travellers base camp

Great stuff so far.

Typical. I get an epic quality sword better than my hammer and way better than anything else I have. It's called Fortune and looks badass.

Then I go and craft a green sword that's better because now I can use/make azure weapons, but this sword looks the same as the one I've had for ages :(

Just started this after spending some serious hours in Skyrim and it feels like SPAGGLEHORN found an arcade cab in the corner of a tavern. The combat is bloody ace, loads of juggling fun so far with cool magic finishers. The map is doing my head in a little bit, but that's about my only criticism so far...that and I haven't found a horny helmet to wear yet.

This game is epic. Level 18 at the moment. I wandered over to a big city, got my sagecraft to max and killed a boss while in reckoning mode and after drinking a greater experience boost potion. 10k XP :)

Loving my rogue. I've got two sustainable effects. Poison chance on every hit and a massive increase to critical damage. After ignoring them for so long frost traps turn out to be ace and I normally kill trolls using just my bow and traps.

The game is *MASSIVE*. Quests everywhere I turn. Also the further you travel the better the graphics get. GOTY so far by a country mile.