Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (now Re-Reckoning)

I have fond memories of this game, it was the first game I remember playing (and completing) after my daughter was born. 

Don't know if I could go back to it now, I remember it feeling dated back then including graphics.

After 20 minutes in I started skipping conversations. I did not care for the story in the original and I have less patience for it now. It's just too much details shoved down my throat in the least exciting way possible. Everything is handed to you via speech: factions, groups, names, synonyms of names, pieces of land, deity, past events, upcoming events. I don't know who is doing what and why. I don't know what anyone's goal is.

Personally, I need it to be dumbed down. Like, cut it into small pieces I can easily digest.

That's interesting, I never thought that exposition is something that would have advanced in game design by doing less of it. It seems archaic outside of 'proper' RPGs to have so much dialogue but there's soooooooooooooooooooooooo much of it in this. And my stupid brain won't let me leave dialogue trees unexplored, even if they're not essential.

I exhaust all possible conversation options, I just don't pay attention.

Like you say, there's sooo much of it. It reminds me of the PSone RPG Xenogears where that game literally starts with 2 or 3 pages of white text on a black background explaining who is who and what is what by dropping about a dozen different names.

I think the problem is that the game world had loads of lore, with a lot of depth - but none of it was particularly interesting. I originally was reading every bit of text (I couldn't listen to it, it would've taken about twice as long!) but gave up about half-way through. The same went for side quests - there were far too many and nothing stood out.

I kept going because combat was pretty fluid and tactile, to the point I almost think it might've worked better as a 15-hour hack-and-slash adventure rather than an RPG (where I don't think it was very good).

This is sooooo good, the odd audio lag aside.  Smooth as butter and no loading times of any note.  Also, getting tougher, leastwise playing as tank.  I've just discovered that Grant Kirkhope did the music - he seems to have been the in house composer at Rare during the N64 -> viva Piñata era at least.  The music is also highly reminiscent of that used in Fable.  I'd also forgotten how many Scots and Irish voices are included for the gnomes / humans and far respectively.  

Being ultra critical I know you would say it lacks identity - a bit MMORPG like (or Dragon Age Inquisition for that matter) at times, a bit of a Witcher hunt for clues, the usual fighters and thieves guild quest lines, but it has a certain something, nether the less.  

5 hours ago, df0 said:

No loading times? You're on PC then?

On PS4 there's a ton of loading. Every door has its own loading screen darn it.

On 07/09/2020 at 17:56, Gabe said:

So still only a max of 3 skills/spells on pad at one time? That's...low effort if so.

I'm on xbox and there are loads into buildings admittedly.   Probably thinking of fast travel when posted.

On the other hand I've just seen that 8 skills or spells may be  slotted because lb can be used as a toggle between two sets of four when right trigger is pulled.

On 11/09/2020 at 14:23, Cosmic_Guru said:

Also, getting tougher, leastwise playing as tank.

Having played this for a fair chunk would you now say they've fixed the difficulty scaling then? As I mentioned previously it's the only thing holding me back from getting it. If you can just blitz your way through everything once you're a third of the way through the game again then I'll have to pass, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Having played this for a fair chunk would you now say they've fixed the difficulty scaling then? As I mentioned previously it's the only thing holding me back from getting it. If you can just blitz your way through everything once you're a third of the way through the game again then I'll have to pass, unfortunately.

It's very hard to say.  Last time I played finesse and from this far back I don't recall any difficulty spikes or particular problems with bosses, using chakrams from distance then dancing around with fae blades.  This time I'm wading in to the melee with a very much slower weapon at high risk of interruption when surrounded by adds or summons.  It's not even a true tank build, partly because I've got points in magic, and partly because I have to do the damage as well as attract the aggro.  Using this build I'm finding there are some enemy types and boss fights which are quite difficult - the quick answer always being to approach them with the super maxed out. 

I’m fairly certain there’s scaling. Am about 30 hours in, level 22 and I can’t remember Hard being this... not necessarily hard but enemies are more resilient. Every new zone I enter has red or purple enemies (but never skulls). I just completed the first DLC and am certain when I return to the regular zones everything’s scaled.

Sounds promising, as if you’re both finding some enemies still fairly difficult and resilient at this point in the game then that’s already a significant step up from the original.

Think you’ve both convinced me to pick it up. Cheers! :)

Fairly difficult is subjective. I’m a Sage casting elemental damage all over the shop, my minion heals me on damage dealt. Very few enemies can approach me, yet I feel more vulnerable. I can’t remember this being the case for the original but that was 8 years ago so maybe I’m seeing things that aren’t there.

By far the biggest difficulty spike came from the final boss in Teeth or Naros, he could actually one-shot me. Without defense potions I doubt I would have been able to defeat it.

I'm playing mage spellbastard too and previously I went full massive sword and armour so although I have died on a couple of bosses in Re-Re, I'm not sure if the reason is the change to class or game.

What might make the game easier now is that thanks to a bug I seem to have gained a permanent companion.

The Hero and the Maid has completely bugged. A sub boss is not spawning, so Wencen is my bitch now. When I fast travel away he still comes. It's a bit of a shit show really this remaster.

To confirm - enemies in previously explored areas don't scale up to your current level - just had a spider eruption at chez moi which illustrated this.  All enemy  types scale though when you move into a new area - so a wolf or a rat for example becomes tougher and has no one set level.  A lot of things aren't explained at all in this.

This is spectacularly buggy for me now. Enemies show as glowing orbs until I get close and just disappear into thin air as soon as I kill them. Coupled with my constant companion (whom accidentally interacting with causes my character to fall through the floor and having to reload) I'm close to binning this off :( 

Anyone else having issues?

14 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

This is spectacularly buggy for me now. Enemies show as glowing orbs until I get close and just disappear into thin air as soon as I kill them. Coupled with my constant companion (whom accidentally interacting with causes my character to fall through the floor and having to reload) I'm close to binning this off :( 

Anyone else having issues?

No, nothing like that.  What system are you playing it on?  

Not too bad bug wise. The one I see the most often is characters not loading in for a brief moment after introduction. There's numerous times where a troll animation would play and the model appears like 2 to 3 seconds later. Same for characters that instigate a conversation with me.

One that rears its ugly head more and more is where the camera decides to place itself at my feet slicing the screen horizontally: upper half showing the game world, bottom half showing everything under the ground that you're not supposed to see. I think there's some odd behaviour with the minion that triggers it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is nowhere near as good as I remember. It's not bad, but I am more disengaged than ever before. I could not care less about anything. Which adds a nice bonus of taking uneducated decisions: there's no pressure to pick a certain answer to cater to a Paragon or Renegade path, I just pick whatever whenever.

It is extremely "flat" for sure - visually wonderful but lacking in real memorable moments - the sort of scenes that BioWare could conjure up at will in their heyday and we remember years and years afterward.  Combat has definitely not been tweaked - I reckon whoever claimed it was had misunderstood the levelling in the original.  It's almost a surprise when you stumble on a few side quests which have alternate paths, but there are some.  Still, in the main a very enjoyable game (that initial load time though, and the load time for opening books..).

• 2 weeks later...

And finished. The end zone is worse than I remember, bloody hell. It's nothing but a massive enemy base camp spread out over as handful of zones with hundreds of boring bipedal humanoid enemies and about a dozen copies of the same troll which comes with the exact same introduction animation every single time it appears on screen. I already fought this exact same troll numerous times elsewhere in the game world, there's no need to play that introduction animation every time this late in the game.

Man does the game run out of steam towards the end.

Also the Lorestone trophy is bugged, it popped when I still had 3 zones to go.

Nowhere near as good as I remember. Maybe I can recommend you pick it up for when it's below 10 quid, whatever.

Couple of trophies to go for Plat.

edit: and that’s Plat. Now onto something fun hopefully.