Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (now Re-Reckoning)

There is one way I'm kind of artificially making things harder on myself: I'm only using weapons and armour that I create myself (though I don't think that's nerfing me or anything).

I

If anything that may make the game easier on any given difficulty setting - with a high enough blacksmith skill and with a good pool of recycled weapons and armour to gain the components from you will be able to craft things which are likely to exceed anything you will find or be able to buy because you can include multiple powerful modifiers. For example, armour % increase, health regen, elemental resistence ,+10% exp gain, weapons with multiple elemental effects etc. You can also buy the generic best-in-class armour and socket up to 3 gems yourself which with powerful enough gems achieves the same effect. The downside of doing this is that crafted gear looks drab and generic compared to unique weapons or armour sets. It's great to have those options available.

Playing on hard with daggers / bow then changing to faeblades / bow later, I had one very awkward opponent early on - a fae with faeblade who would literally one shot (one slice?) me if he got close enough and when frenzied he would teleport in and out of range making him very tricky indeed. After that I would say it was a good enough challenge for most of the game until a point was reached when mobs could barely touch me (bansheen and electro charging murghan were still pretty tough though) and the finesse techniques of multi-shot, dark cloud and traps / mines supercharged the reckoning meter pretty quickly which made dealing with the various quest bosses pretty simple.

If you plan on seeing most of what the game has to offer, don't run into new areas just to see what they look like - this will set the level of enemies relative to your level thus giving you less challenge when you return.

If anything that may make the game easier on any given difficulty setting - with a high enough blacksmith skill and with a good pool of recycled weapons and armour to gain the components from you will be able to craft things which are likely to exceed anything you will find or be able to buy because you can include multiple powerful modifiers. For example, armour % increase, health regen, elemental resistence ,+10% exp gain, weapons with multiple elemental effects etc. You can also buy the generic best-in-class armour and socket up to 3 gems yourself which with powerful enough gems achieves the same effect. The downside of doing this is that crafted gear looks drab and generic compared to unique weapons or armour sets. It's great to have those options available.

Well despite my focus on blacksmithing, I haven't been that lucky with salvaging components. I've gone through millions of items, including the DLC stuff, one-off items and set items and it's been pretty rare for me to get anything decent from them. My longsword has developed pretty well (it's up to 75 or so) but I'm still on the same bow I've had for ages (23 - though to be fair, it's got decent modifiers). Neither of them are anywhere near the most powerful weapons I've come across so far but they both look lovely and are my own work (complete with funky names) :wub:. I'm about 23 hours into this game now (not 30 as I thought yesterday - that was my game on normal!) so maybe my luck with components will pick up as go on. Also, I'm not socketing generic armour - only stuff I create from scratch.

Caveat: I'm sticking to lightning modifiers (with a dash of ice) -- if I went the fire route my weapons would be more powerful as I've found quite a few decent fire components. Can't find anything but birch cores for longbows though!

My armour is pretty rocking, though it's really annoying when the game ups the level needed to wear something. I created a cuirass last night night that I couldn't wear straightaway as it required my finesse to be 18. I leveled up very shortly after and upped my finesse to the required level only for the game to then say that I now need my finesse to be at 21! (I'm probably missing something obvious as to why this happened but I haven't looked it up yet.)

If you plan on seeing most of what the game has to offer, don't run into new areas just to see what they look like - this will set the level of enemies relative to your level thus giving you less challenge when you return.

I'm guilty of this. When I played the game on normal, I played through the Ballads storyline but on hard I'm going through the Warsworn one, as I wanted to see more of the world.
  • 2 weeks later...

It's Day 155 for my Level 37 Polymath, and with a hardy 127 hours on the clock and 183 quests completed, there's always time for more DLC "done right". ;)

And Dead Kel's got your number! Four hours in and I espy the scurvy seadog... right, let's be having ya (says she, with a 100% Fate Meter locked and loaded). Cue some interstitial waffle, and a reference to three underlings who must first be bested, and I knew it wouldn't be this easy. Dead Kel makes his exit via a puff of smoke and I'm back to scouring the isle for treasure maps and pieces of eight - yarrrrrrr!

It's a ripping yarn and no mistake, and your objectives dovetail nicely. Once you've established a foothold in Gravehal Keep, the sundry survivors of a shipwreck can be enlisted for duty, and 'wee' Paddy Dower is a dab hand at carpentry. He'll send you on the obligatory fetch quests for materials that will upgrade your lot, and in between there's stat-conferring wedges of combat and beast training, scouting missions and book translations to be had.

For those deeply ensconsed in the Amalur journey, this is unbeatable value for 800MP, although am I the only one who hasn't unlocked a virgin plot of land due south of Detyre? (Legend of Dead Kel is situated on the Nor'easterly tip of the map.) :unsure:

Well there is another chunk of DLC in the works.

Looking forward to firing this up again especially after the rather sour taste left by ME3 ending.

Prior to Amalur, my most anticipated RPG of the first quarter was always going to be Mass Effect 3. Little did I know how deeply satisfying the fantasy gubbins would be (and hard to believe I won't be making a start on ME3 until I've conducted the Arrival pre-emptive strike).

But I am a tad concerned that one of my questlines has broken. :(

Has anyone else completed Khamazandu's Gift for the Warsworn? It's telling me I've slain all the Warsworn, but I distinctly remember being overwhelmed by them (in Hall of the Firstsworn) and subsequently dropped outside an autosave with no recourse to earlier files. Despite wanting to wrap up Khamazandu's Gift, I am still "bade to return to Cloudcrest and take Besin's helm"...

To the best of my knowledge, wasn't Besin's helm catalogued as "The Helm of Hideous Visage"? My Dokkalfar has spent the entirety of her days in underwear, so any accoutrements acquired have been stashed away (or sold). I'm also carrying the Heart of Sibun (another quest-specific item), so what haven't I done? (Apart from failing to kill every rogue Warsworn, and despite a non-ability to permakill Warsworn guildkeepers.)

I haven't played that segment myself since I am a goody goody most of the time, but according to the guide you

Accept the offer from K, speak to and kill Gwyn, take the helm worn by Besin from there, travel to the hall of the firstsworn and kill the massed warsworn there, take the vault key and finally take the heart of Sibun to conclude this quest

So I am not sure how that tallies with your experience.

Also, smooth though this baby is, I would always advise manual saving at least at the end of each session of play and possibly more frequently to protect yourself.

Dead Kel is great though isn't it? I love it when you start picking things up in your inventory and can guess what they will turn out to be used for in advance. I only wish the stash size would increase.

I haven't played that segment myself since I am a goody goody most of the time, but according to the guide you

Accept the offer from K, speak to and kill Gwyn, take the helm worn by Besin from there, travel to the hall of the firstsworn and kill the massed warsworn there, take the vault key and finally take the heart of Sibun to conclude this quest

So I am not sure how that tallies with your experience.

Well yes, up until I encountered the warded gate of Khamazandu, I myself was 100% helping people and never refusing a quest. Dutifully aided the Warsworn with nowt but a spilled glass of milk between us, and all of a sudden this Gwyn came lunging at me with fire in her eyes! Er, what did I do wrong... was just innocently hack-and-slashing my way on autopilot.

I do fear that I somehow glitched the Hall of the Firstsworn 'kill order'... or that I otherwise did kill whoever, but jinxed the flow chart of events. Not worth a restart though. ;)

Dead Kel is great though isn't it? I love it when you start picking things up in your inventory and can guess what they will turn out to be used for in advance. I only wish the stash size would increase.

You're not wrong. I've a passion for hoarding purple trinkets and amassed volumes of Amalur lore. Never sure whether to turf an item (eg, Helm of Hideous Visage) which may be required later, or whether to hold on to that rare armour set should I choose to reset my destiny (only did it once, mind, handily maxing out Detect Hidden for the glowing Lorestone markers).

But the Legend of Dead Kel certainly lives up to its name. Gotta love a good treasure hunt. :)

i've got far too many items already stashed just on the off chance ,but realistically I'm not going to change my build again - maxed out finesse is sooo good, but more keep coming - some unique faeblades, daggers and a new chest piece being the rewards from last night alone. 4.5m in the bank too!

Going back to the earlier point - I think you must have spoken to Khamazandu earlier after beating Besin to kick that whole segment off.

Gallows End is in many ways a care package; a microcosm of the Faelands... in terms of raw content, there's enough here to put most boxed games to shame. Just netted 50G for fully restoring Gravehal Keep, and now I'm lording it over a mini-kingdom, with a diplomatic envoy who goes on day trips for largesse.

Not to mention I'm the Mistress of Unlocks (ie, yet more mini-quests) by simply sitting on my 'throne'. It never rains it pours in Amalur! :wub:

The more I play this game the more I'm enjoying it.

I feel it doesn't make the best first impression, with its rather gaudy art style and middling voice acting. Naturally the combat's also a bit underwhelming until you unlock more skills. Honestly I think the biggest problem is the size of the first region, though: if you're at all OCD like me then you won't escape from it for about 20 hours, and whilst there is some variation it's still all a bit samey. I suppose you could argue that's partly my fault for doing all the quests, but if they didn't want me to do so many they shouldn't have made them!

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun as a Finesse character that's just hit level 30. I run into the odd issue with control responsiveness and the battle camera sometimes doesn't frame the action as you'd like, but otherwise the combat's pretty slick and very enjoyable once you start chaining abilities: a personal favourite is rolling in to launch an enemy with daggers, keeping them in the air with arrows, then dragging them back for another beating using Harpoon.

By the way, how does training work? I've done it a few times but I'm not sure what restrictions there are on it: I'll be a suitable skill level to talk to a Trainer, but the option to buy is greyed out and says "All Training Complete". I thought maybe I could only train once a level, but that doesn't seem to be it. What's the restriction?

The more I play this game the more I'm enjoying it.

I feel it doesn't make the best first impression, with its rather gaudy art style and middling voice acting. Naturally the combat's also a bit underwhelming until you unlock more skills. Honestly I think the biggest problem is the size of the first region, though: if you're at all OCD like me then you won't escape from it for about 20 hours, and whilst there is some variation it's still all a bit samey. I suppose you could argue that's partly my fault for doing all the quests, but if they didn't want me to do so many they shouldn't have made them!

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun as a Finesse character that's just hit level 30. I run into the odd issue with control responsiveness and the battle camera sometimes doesn't frame the action as you'd like, but otherwise the combat's pretty slick and very enjoyable once you start chaining abilities: a personal favourite is rolling in to launch an enemy with daggers, keeping them in the air with arrows, then dragging them back for another beating using Harpoon.

By the way, how does training work? I've done it a few times but I'm not sure what restrictions there are on it: I'll be a suitable skill level to talk to a Trainer, but the option to buy is greyed out and says "All Training Complete". I thought maybe I could only train once a level, but that doesn't seem to be it. What's the restriction?

It's certainly a game which takes off once you have levelled up a bit and can start to see some real variation in combat strategies - there was a certain moment when fae blades just clicked with me and i've used them ever since together with the shot gun style bow attack and copious use of bombs / mines and dark shadow (when pure stealth is not an option).

As you say, the first area is a bit sprawly and doesn't have a great deal of character - most of the later ones have character in spades - Webwood, the plains with the refugee camp, the old mining village area to give just a few examples. The game is very content rich throughout.

As for trainers, there are two basic, one advanced and one master trainer for each skill but if you have not yet reached the necessary level it is not always clear which skill is being trained - one of the very few minor frustrations of the game. If you make a note of trainers which you can't use because you have already passed the required level you can alwqays respec and go back to them later having dumped the skill points temporarily elsewhere (e.g to experiment with crafting). This is probably a bit OTT, but I think it's worth running with a high detect hidden, dispell (unless you are much better than me with this) and persuade skills in the field.

Still playing the Dead Kel expansion and it's gone a bit Fable III all of a sudden. I'm

sitting on the throne sorting out petitioners requests and also sending diplomatic missions round to other parts of the world

These guys have surpassed themselves with this - I get the feeling it was something of a labour of love to a bunch of fantasy loving RPGamers who have attempted to mesh lots of bits and pieces they like from their favourite games into something new. Nothing seems rushed or incomplete either, which makes it a much better game than the likes of Dragon Age II and Fable III were. Just lovely.

It's Day 183 for me, some 144 hours on the ticker, and still haven't capped Level 40 (whilst playing on Hard). Dead Kel's been put out of his immortal misery - again - but alas there wasn't any achievement for besting his bones. :(

I'm looking at my Lorestone legend here, and it's hard to believe I still haven't explored Glendara, Amaura and Bhaile yet. Oh yeah, and since maxing out my Blacksmithing skill, I've only recently discovered the sheer 'pwnership' of Mastercrafted kit. Amalur truly does cater to every whimsy, and having personalised Prismere Faeblades (to the tune of 167 Damage Points) means I'm literally shredding the landscape!

At this stage of the game, nothing much requires Fateshifting, but I've yet to tackle the 'big bad' (Gadflow). Not that I'm in a hurry to find him. ;)

Day 194, and I'm now less than 2,000XP away from maxing out at Level 40...

However, in breaking news my achievement list has been UPDATED! :o

Yep, when 150 hours (and counting) just isn't enough Amalur, the lure of yet more content - which must be shipping soon - is just enough to keep the hardcore grinding. Oh, and for those of us who've been playing Dead Kel, how many of you have exhausted Combat Training with Ollie Madsen?

I was drawn back to Gallows End in the hunt for one missed Lorestone, and decided to check in with Ollie because I'd kept a Root Golem as a pet. Little did I expect to find an outstanding challenge awaiting closure. If you beat the Root Golem in under sixty seconds, you earn The Crafted Sun, a Dvergan Staff that deals out 84 Ice Damage. Meh, my Dokkalfar is more than happy defaulting to her DLC Greatsword, The Harpy (awarded for 'wooing' Captain Brattigan)...

That is, until I opened up a can of whoop-ass on Ollie's Spiders and received a...

Trencher [211 Damage Points. "Fashioned from a salvaged harpoon, this huge blade is difficult to wield. Only the very strongest warriors can can raise its jagged, and overwhelming, blade."]

Am extremely curious to find out what DLC is being prepared and when (this week or next?). Most of the achievements are listed as secrets, however this one isn't: Murder Most Fowl [25G] "Kill 50 Pteryx". Kill 50 what? :P

I finished this last week with 110 hours and 208 completed quests. Overall it was really enjoyable and probably the first game (other than the CoDs) that I've spent so much time on since Disgaea on PS2.

Definitely a few small niggles such as:

Often not knowing what skill a trainer offers making fate weaving to the right level a bit hit and miss

The 'yellow' armour sets being mostly useless as it takes so long to get a set that you'll have much better normal/ green/ purple stuff by then anyways

Not enough stash space (as you open up more stashes the amount you can hold should increase)

Not being able to mark the 'infinite' fetch tasks as complete

In the blacksmithing screens the quantity of each component not being displayed

Looking forward to getting the DLC but am going to wait until it's all out and go though it together.

Does the current DLC raise the level cap? I reached 40 at least 10 hours before the end and I likes me some levelling!

Day 194, and I'm now less than 2,000XP away from maxing out at Level 40...

However, in breaking news my achievement list has been UPDATED! :o

Yep, when 150 hours (and counting) just isn't enough Amalur, the lure of yet more content - which must be shipping soon - is just enough to keep the hardcore grinding. Oh, and for those of us who've been playing Dead Kel, how many of you have exhausted Combat Training with Ollie Madsen?

I was drawn back to Gallows End in the hunt for one missed Lorestone, and decided to check in with Ollie because I'd kept a Root Golem as a pet. Little did I expect to find an outstanding challenge awaiting closure. If you beat the Root Golem in under sixty seconds, you earn The Crafted Sun, a Dvergan Staff that deals out 84 Ice Damage. Meh, my Dokkalfar is more than happy defaulting to her DLC Greatsword, The Harpy (awarded for 'wooing' Captain Brattigan)...

That is, until I opened up a can of whoop-ass on Ollie's Spiders and received a...

Trencher [211 Damage Points. "Fashioned from a salvaged harpoon, this huge blade is difficult to wield. Only the very strongest warriors can can raise its jagged, and overwhelming, blade."]

Am extremely curious to find out what DLC is being prepared and when (this week or next?). Most of the achievements are listed as secrets, however this one isn't: Murder Most Fowl [25G] "Kill 50 Pteryx". Kill 50 what? :P

Yes, I had to rub my eyes last night when I saw 7 more achievements pop out of the ether. It would seem to suggest the second dlc must be imminent and I would guess it will take us down to the SW corner of the Faelands.

I think I have done everything possible in Gallows End other than one achievement related thing - raised every pet, refurbished all the paintings, established diplomatic relations with all 3 territories, fought every monster type and done all the personal quests to keep my folk happy (they do end, it's not a repeatable task). Really good value for money dlc.

I finished this last week with 110 hours and 208 completed quests. Overall it was really enjoyable and probably the first game (other than the CoDs) that I've spent so much time on since Disgaea on PS2.

Definitely a few small niggles such as:

Often not knowing what skill a trainer offers making fate weaving to the right level a bit hit and miss

The 'yellow' armour sets being mostly useless as it takes so long to get a set that you'll have much better normal/ green/ purple stuff by then anyways

Not enough stash space (as you open up more stashes the amount you can hold should increase)

Not being able to mark the 'infinite' fetch tasks as complete

In the blacksmithing screens the quantity of each component not being displayed

Looking forward to getting the DLC but am going to wait until it's all out and go though it together.

Does the current DLC raise the level cap? I reached 40 at least 10 hours before the end and I likes me some levelling!

Agreed - these are niggles alright - especially not being able to discontinue the tasks, and not having enough stash space (but this would likely be never enough if like me you hate throwing stuff out). Also the various quest items which can't be removed from inventory even though they take no space up (and lots of books are included in this category following Dead Kel).

There is no increase in the level cap though and like you I had reached 40 some time before the end battle. It doesn't really matter though since it's so enjoyable to play this game even without the carrot of a level up. The dlc adds a couple more twists of fate and more tweaks to your stats from

the raising of pets and inspection of pictures

so you are still building your character to some amazing level of awesomeness. I find I can afford to be fairly careless in combat now (other than those electric generators who seem to do a huge amount of damage when they charge up) but shifting to reckoning mode still makes a significant difference to getting the orange enemies like root golems down quickly.

Yes, I had to rub my eyes last night when I saw 7 more achievements pop out of the ether. It would seem to suggest the second dlc must be imminent and I would guess it will take us down to the SW corner of the Faelands.

That said, it does make you wonder how feature-complete the game is. For instance, I haven't tackled Gadflow yet but decided to go after missing Lorestones. Since two more sets have been added for Dead Kel, where would this leave achievement hunters in respect of not having the expansions? Would the achievement not unlock?

And given how integral the Lorestones are to the lore (or even lay of the land, for that matter), how could you not open the SW quadrant without adding more Lorestones? It's all a bit murkish, isn't it?

That said, it does make you wonder how feature-complete the game is. For instance, I haven't tackled Gadflow yet but decided to go after missing Lorestones. Since two more sets have been added for Dead Kel, where would this leave achievement hunters in respect of not having the expansions? Would the achievement not unlock?

Hmm, things get curiouser and curiouser. :huh:

I've just unlocked the "Loremaster" cheevo, despite not having discovered EVERY Lorestone. According to my chart, there's 190 Lorestones in total (Dead Kel sets included) but I've yet to find 10... either the achievement is gimped, or 38 Studios left the door open for folks who weren't considering DLC. Not complaining, obviously, because my travails have netted another 20G.

Interesting - I assume the achievement triggers when a counter reaches the original total number of stones regardless of location. It's easy to miss some of the stones of autumn because they are in interiors, and there are some located in the court of winter too, but jumping into the dlc would earn the achievement regardless.

Another minor irritation to the list posted above would be the way chests and whirlpools etc respawn / repopulate after a certain time - it's a good reason to be methodical as you can in each area before moving on (and having lots of points in detect hidden skill). I just about managed to clear them all in Gallows end before they refreshed last night, otherwise I would likely never have found the last treasure map fragment.

OMG, it's finished! It's completed!!! :D

For me, the clock stopped at Day 202, and 154 hours on the board. Of course, the game hasn't really finished because I still have another 19 achievable achievements... erm, well 18, because there's no way a Level 40 chara can "kill an enemy 4 levels higher" [Out of Your League cheevo] unless 38 raises the level cap. :(

In respect of spoilers, I have one Big Huge Achievement!

For beating the game on Hard difficulty, I brought home 100G! Hands down, when coupled with the 75G you net for defeating Tirnoch, that's one sweet denouement to a Big Huge Quest you just want to continue playing!

Hmm, and if you're like me and have attempted to open every locked door in the game, you'd probably have scratched your head once or twice in Rathir (where's the flaming key to Orbocant?). Of course, there's nowt more to be said unless you're a completionist. Apart from that, I'm itching to get my talons into a few more nooks and crannies (not to mention that Big Huge swathe of open territory southwest of Detyre).

Whoa! Consider my breath well and truly taken away... can Mass Effect 3 even compare? :P

OMG, it's finished! It's completed!!! :D

For me, the clock stopped at Day 202, and 154 hours on the board. Of course, the game hasn't really finished because I still have another 19 achievable achievements... erm, well 18, because there's no way a Level 40 chara can "kill an enemy 4 levels higher" [Out of Your League cheevo] unless 38 raises the level cap. :(

You can still get this achievement. Just reload the autosave that was done immediately after finishing the tutorial dungeon, chat with beardie to get your fateshift ability etc, then head to the prison. There's a prisoner in there who's four levels higher than you. Job done.