Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (now Re-Reckoning)

I enjoying the fuck out of this :D

One major complaint though. The way the story is implemented and conversation are being held is extremely poor. I must admit I have started skipping through all the conversations because quite frankly I could not care less about who has done what to whom at what place on what day. I am not expecting Mass Effect quality cutscenes and conversations but I expect a lot better then what I am being served now. Very, very poor indeed.

Still, I am enjoying myself with this here game.

I enjoying the fuck out of this :D

One major complaint though. The way the story is implemented and conversation are being held is extremely poor. I must admit I have started skipping through all the conversations because quite frankly I could not care less about who has done what to whom at what place on what day. I am not expecting Mass Effect quality cutscenes and conversations but I expect a lot better then what I am being served now. Very, very poor indeed.

Still, I am enjoying myself with this here game.

Having played a little of this tonight, I was amused by just how much the cut-scenes felt like those from Bioware's early console RPGs - Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire - right down to the stilted animation. Albeit lacking the quality of characterisation and script, particularly for the player's character. Still, I didn't go into this expecting a great story RPG, so I'm not too disappointed.

Well, after two weeks of hammering this, I'm gutted it's over. Every lorestone has been found, and my completed quests number 175. The big evil went down hard.

By the end I was a DPS machine,. All my weapons and armour focussed on chance to crit, so I was smashing stuff for 3000hp per swing of my greatsword, and my arrows, coupled with the points invested in finesse, were like a bite from a komodo dragon. Stuff got dead quick. Poison splashed about and the last few hours of the game were absolute carnage, in a good - even if perhaps a little to easy - way. Sometimes it's nice to be overpowered at the end of an RPG. Kind of befitting your 'chosen one-ness'.

Anyway, as I bask in the Amalur afterglow, sipping a single malt and puffing on a cheroot, I have to say I struggle to think of a game I have enjoyed more. It's not perfect, but for me at least this is 10/10 gaming.

What a ride. God I love this hobby. Gonna be knackered tomorrow though...

Anyway, as I bask in the Amalur afterglow, sipping a single malt and puffing on a cheroot, I have to say I struggle to think of a game I have enjoyed more. It's not perfect, but for me at least this is 10/10 gaming.

It's that good isn't it?

Anyway I found I had got 4 pieces of the Captain's set stashed away, so wearing these adds +2 to all finesse skills on top of the +1 from some necklace, and with my newly crafted poison/fire fae blades and poison/ice long bow I reckon I am nicely set up for the forseeable future.

Just reached Adessa and last time I checked quests done were 103 so still some way to go with this it seems.

Say, the Wiki is a tad rubbish so I will have to ask here: are set pieces random drops or can they be obtained from certain chests/mobs/bosses? I have cleared all places/quests in the western part of the map and found 4 or 5 pieces from 4 or 5 different sets. I'd love a complete Rogue set.

Say, the Wiki is a tad rubbish so I will have to ask here: are set pieces random drops or can they be obtained from certain chests/mobs/bosses? I have cleared all places/quests in the western part of the map and found 4 or 5 pieces from 4 or 5 different sets. I'd love a complete Rogue set.

I'm not at all sure - lots of items are specially placed in chests behind hidden doors etc, but folk on neoGaf have also talked about set items dropping from mobs. Keep on working for the Travellers though and you will be rewarded.....

Word of advice for anyone struggling with dispell and looking for easy pickings towards the achievement - there are several in Adessa.

Question for anyone who has completed the Travellers quest line

where is the door the Vault key is used for? - the one you can either steal from the keyholder or get from the chest after setting all the beacons alight - is is a special area or just used to unlock all the internal doors encountered

One of the most things to do in this game is backstabbing a gnome as a rogue. The particularly gory 'cutscene' make it so satisfying.

You backstab a gnome with your dagger, lifting is up from the ground with the gnome skewered onto your dagger. Gushing blood everywhere and the sounds of a dying gnome.

Played the demo and sort of enjoyed it, and the combat was Fable-fun, but the lore was fantasy generic, the look just too cartoony for my tastes - sort of Fisher Price does Elder Scrolls (not that that's a terrible thing). Also I was amazed at how many of the mechanics underpinning the game feel very similar to those in Skyrim (maps, missions, alchemy, shards, foraging, shrines that give you perks etc.) - is it just that all WRPGs are this template, or is this a particular close coincidence?

Played the demo and sort of enjoyed it, and the combat was Fable-fun, but the lore was fantasy generic, the look just too cartoony for my tastes - sort of Fisher Price does Elder Scrolls (not that that's a terrible thing). Also I was amazed at how many of the mechanics underpinning the game feel very similar to those in Skyrim (maps, missions, alchemy, shards, foraging, shrines that give you perks etc.) - is it just that all WRPGs are this template, or is this a particular close coincidence?

There are some obvious similarities to Skyrim to b esure - the choices you face if you are caught committing a crime for example are identical, there are skill books lying around, the shrines and so forth but there are many other WRPGs which have capability for blacksmithing and alchemy. Once you are outdoors roaming around or questing I would say the game more closely resembles games such as Sacred 2 (mobs, different zones, loot), Fable (constuction of environment, aspects of combat) and even the likes of Divine Divinity (very content rich. rewarding going into those little nooks and crannies and with quite a sense of humour too in many of the sub quests). The combat however rises this game above those others quoted by a long way.

Is anyone else suffering from the bug where your character will stutter and then freeze while running? Have tried reloading but that doesn't seem to clear it. Oddly it doesn't seem to affect fights, only running around the place. Fortunately my last pre-freeze save was only a little way back so will go back to that, but slightly worried about this... Level 12 or so, put a fair few hours into it and keen for more!

I'm almost 70 hours into this and have not seen that bug, or any other lockup (on 360, black 60Gb elite model). Only bug I've seen is occasionally when fighting on a slope the camera will go so low down as to be 'underground'. Running for a few seconds brings it back into a normal position though.

Is anyone else suffering from the bug where your character will stutter and then freeze while running? Have tried reloading but that doesn't seem to clear it. Oddly it doesn't seem to affect fights, only running around the place. Fortunately my last pre-freeze save was only a little way back so will go back to that, but slightly worried about this... Level 12 or so, put a fair few hours into it and keen for more!

I am not getting the freezing, but I get it were is stutters for a few seconds, as if it is loading something. This has only happened recently, I did not get this in the first 20 odd hours.

I have had a couple of freezes early on during a session and then had it run perfectly for 3 hours afterwards - could be hardware related though since the old thing is definitely wheezing a bit now.

I also had a weird bug where the entire hud disappeared - health status, mini map, the lot. Looked awesome but was impractical.

There is also noticeable slowdown when you are releasing the shot-gun type multiple arrow attack and there are multiple casters etc on screen too.

However, generally it is super smooth and feels rock solid.

Still working through the Klurikon areas but reaching the level cap (40) from having done so many side-quests.

Getting around to the home straight now I think having found out a bit about how I died, and this game is still throwing so much stuff at the player - new suits (typically it seems 2 or 3 pieces will show up in boss or chest loot leaving the others to be farmed), new unique weapons including some tasty bows and best of all my own rennovated castle with merchant attached which is handy.

Stats are; Hours 95, Level 39, quests completed 185, locations found 131.

Really really recommend taking each sub-area slowly since they all have a different character and circumstances, and that way you keep unexplored levels further down the path at greater challenge levels.

Even with pure finesse build I am finding myself pretty invulnerable to yellow mobs but the combat keeps these encounters a pleasure to play rather than the pure tedium they would otherwise be.

The Future Press game guide is now in stock at Amazon.

Also

Announcing 'The Legend of Dead Kel'

We're thrilled to announce Reckoning's first full DLC, The Legend of Dead Kel! The massive Legend of Dead Kel DLC will be released on March 20th, and boasts the following:

An Epic New Questline — The Legend of Dead Kel is only part of the story of Gallows End. It intertwines with numerous side quests, multiple dungeons to explore and a colorful cast of characters.

New Enemies, Dungeons, Items — Multiple new enemies and enemy variants, a new dungeon type: Dverga Fastings, three new Twists of Fate, eight new armor sets, eight new shields and 18 new unique weapons.

The Ultimate Player Housing — Gravehal Keep is more than just player housing, it’s a massive estate with multiple buildings and a full retinue of retainers, each with their own back stories, side quests, perks and quirks.

Tons more to Explore — The Legend of Dead Kel DLC adds in more than 15% of additional land to traverse and explore in the already massively expansive world that is Amalur.

Reckon that will be in the south west corner of the map then.

A pity there are not more display options in the housing - it's certainly big enough but if only we had a few tailors dummies or weapon racks...

Guide should be coming today.

Finished up last night and it's quite a slog along the final straight owing to the size and fequency of mobs encountered. The final boss is OK though - the execution is quite neat, it doesn't ask you to do anything different from what has gone before (ta, TW2) and it's not a simple strafe-fest either.

It's an indication of the quality of the game that I jumped right back into the world seeking a few missing lore stones - there are some additional side-quests in the later areas too which I had overlooked.

Favourite easter egg so far:

Fire spewing chicken overlords in a hidden area in one of the later dungeons

All done ......

Can't recommend this game too highly. A real epic journey with a combat system which is probably the best of it's kind.

Going back to the post tutorial character to get the final achievement (beat a "red" level enemy) just brings it all home - running quickly through the dark forests with no info on the map and only the most basic attack functions available if you get hassled, then breaking through into the bright blue skies of the Wold.

After 100 hours or so all I can come up with are 3 irritations:

Trainers don't always indicate which skill they offer training in.

Some quest rewards and items can't be stashed or trashed.

Insufficient storeage space - 155 items seems huge initially but soon gets filled with set items.

I have just overwritten my 100+ hours saved game (Rogue build) with my newly started Mage. I have been on my Rogue all day, saving manually was getting an automatic thingie: Start -> Save -> Choose slot -> Yes :facepalm:

Now, I am a PlayStation + member, hopefully I can copy my "uploaded" save locally

edit: My old Rogue saved game is there for the taking. However, all the progress I made today is gone. Ugh, think I need a break from this game for a while.

A note for anyone who may be just starting out with the game and is worried about breezing through it. I'm about 30 20 hours into my new game on hard difficulty now and it's starting to put up a decent challenge, even when I'm loaded with health potions. Up to now, it had been quite easy, which I put down to having already played quite a bit on normal difficulty.

1-on-1 encounters are still pretty easy but groups are getting a lot harder to take out as there always seems to be a decent mixture of distance and melee attackers in most parties.

I have taken my character in a completely different direction to my normal difficulty game (normal: finesse with alchemy and stealth, hard: might & archery with blacksmithing) but I think the difficulty is down to the gits being harder to kill rather than my change in style (if anything, I've had to step up my combat, especially parrying).

There is one way I'm kind of artificially making things harder on myself: I'm only using weapons and armour that I create myself (though I don't think that's nerfing me or anything).

Edited by isogashii