Pikmin 3

Major Britten

In the roundtable meeting Miyamoto just confirmed that Pikmin 3 is now in development for the Wii U and no longer for the original Wii. This year is the 10th anniversary and he wanted it out by the end of the year but with the HD graphics and controller he felt it would be a perfect fit for Wii U :omg:

To think it was casually announced for Wii during that E3 where Wii had no other good games on show and then never got mentioned or shown again. Now this E3 is the same but he's not even pretending that there's hope on the horizon for Wii owners, he's crushing every last remaining morsel.

So Pikmin 3 has been officially Steel Diver'ed, probably the best thing to do to it, 3 games with basically the same level of graphics might have been a bit much to put up with, hopefully they actually take advantage of the increased power available and Miyamoto doesn't tell them to stop adding content or increasing the scope :)

Pikmin 2's the classic example of a sequel that's better in almost every way, but somehow can't quite live with the original. I actually missed the loss of the time limit, and the more altruistic storyline, which meant the game lost some of its emotional impact. Olimar's letters home to his family were a tiny thing, but actually made your actions in the first game feel more significant.

The Piklopedia in 2 was brilliant, mind. Maybe you could use the Wii U controller to scan larger enemies and find out information about them, perhaps hints at potential weak points and what have you. Or it could be used as a mini garden for breeding your Pikmin army.

I actually missed the loss of the time limit, and the more altruistic storyline, which meant the game lost some of its emotional impact.

This. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I never found the time limit intrusive. To me it helped make the game. It added a level of tension to the situation and what you could do within each day.

This. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I never found the time limit intrusive. To me it helped make the game. It added a level of tension to the situation and what you could do within each day.

Exactly - it was part of the strategy. You needed a plan for each day, and if you screwed up you really felt it. The time limit in the end was fairly generous, but it felt like Olimar might be in trouble if you lost any more Pikmin and wasted another day. It meant you were more careful not to lose any rather than just lobbing as many as you could at an enemy and thinking 'fuck it, if they die I can just grow some more tomorrow'.

It certainly made the Pikmin feel important, and their loss heartbreaking. It was your own little army of helpers, rather than just a resource.

EDIT: I felt that emotional bond was broken in the sequel.

Spot on. You put it better than me. Have a +1.

I hated the time limit in the first one. It meant that you couldn't just enjoy exploring the world and try out new things. You had to just keep moving and worrying about using up too much time in a level so you might not have enough left to get to the end. Then if you did think you had used too much time, you would replay the level trying to remember where everything is so you could do it quicker. It sucked all the fun out of it for me.

The dungeons were Pikmin 2's way of giving you the feeling of loss of your Pikmin. You could only take 100 in and had to finish the whole dungeon without being able to get new ones so any loss was upsetting without ruining the whole game.

Purple and White pikmin never seemed expendable but I completely agree with Hawkeye & Rudderless. I loved Pikmin2 but it didn't quite have that spark that the resource constraints of the first one provided.

The day Pikmin 3 comes out is the day I'll buy a Wii U or Won't U

The thing I didn't like about Pikmin 2 was the caves. The outside in Pikmin 1 felt like a real place, a wild alien world. The caves in 2 were like a surrealist nightmare. The only good thing about the caves was the prospect of white and purple pikmin.