rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
KRP

Bjork - Biophilia

Anyone else as super hyped for this as me? Bjork is premièring it Manchester this month and apparently there's going to be apps that 'play' the album as well, sounds interesting anyway.

Preview here:

And check the offical website, for a few snippets of information: www.bjork.com

Hopefully it'll be better than Volta, that was the first time I've really been disappointed with a Bjork album

It's a Bjork album so of course I'm looking forward to it but I'm not as hyped as I would normally be. Volta is the first album of hers I really didn't care for and all this app talk sounds a bit pointless, even if she is working with Gondry to create it.

Hopefully the music is great though.

Hmm, if you click the 'view on vimeo' button you can watch it. The sound quality isn't great, but it already sounds like it's gone in a different direction to Volta.

I'm really hyped. Not for the apps, I find it very rare (like I can't think of any times at all) that these things are worth more than a minute or two's look. But I'm always interested in what the new directions will be, plus I'm off to one of the Manchester gigs.

A new teaser video:

I really hope there isn't a return to the horns that overpowered Volta, and more of the delicate sounds instruments.

A couple of similar interviews with Stereogum and Pitchfork:

http://stereogum.com/744502/stereogum-qa-bjork-talks-biophilia/

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7996-bjork/

Some reassurance for those of us who aren't too bothered about all this app stuff, and are just hoping for a CD as good as that run of albums from Debut to Medúlla:

Stereogum: If someone buys the CD on Nonesuch and doesn’t have the apps do you think they’re still experiencing the album the way you want them to experience it?

Björk: I tried to do that. I hope this doesn’t come across as being arrogant, but I’ve seen so many interactive music galleries and museums, and you walk in some space, and some noise starts or whatever, and obviously being the music nerd that I am, I would be like, would this song sound good on your home stereo? So, in many cases it doesn’t, and because many times it’s not made for that, that’s totally fine, not all things have to be on your Walkman or iPod to count as good music. There are all these other situations that work fine.

If somebody would hear this album in ten years, buy it in a secondhand store, it would be the same as my other albums. You wouldn’t need the App to appreciate it. This, for me, is a Bjork album; it’s not a bunch of generated music, ambient wishy-washy stuff. I guess it is like a private joke or something. I enjoy to take on my own musical taboos. For example when I did, Medulla, it was taboo for me: A capella music, the worst music on earth, let’s tackle that! Then on Volta : Oh, the worst music in the world is feminist political music, you know? Then I went there: “Declare Independence”! Now I’m taking on generative music, that’s all in pastel colors, it’s kind of superficial. It’s me doing that. It’s like a joke between me and myself, you know? It just seems like a recipe for disaster to do an App song — and I enjoy that challenge!

Still can't get over Crystalline, I was honestly surprised to find out that the track was a proper collab rather than a remix and that 16bit have done more stuff with her... Amazing, I love me a bit of 16bit so I can't wait to see what they've done.

Even better is the fact an entirely new musical instrument was built expressly for that track:

I went to see this on Sunday. Fucking brilliant show! Since it's performed 'in the round' and only 2000 capacity venue, it was easy to get very close. Stood just near the Gamaleste and since the performance moves around each side of the square stage, at various points in the show we were standing less than 10m from Björk while she sang, standing at the same level as us. I was pretty astonished to be able to get so near to the performance, really gave it an intimate feel despite the size of the group. While I mention that, the 20+ Icelandic choir are all HOTT. Also, I really want a tesla coil synth, that thing sounded amazing. And David Attenborough recorded the song intros! As well as using footage from (uh, the last series he did, with the under Arctic ocean timelapse footage of wildlife feeding on a seal corpse) for a fantastic version of Hidden Place.

Buzzin'. If you get chance, see this show.

I went to see this last night and pretty much agree with everything Milko said. It sounds like a child's fever dream (there's a choir! They made their own instruments! There's a Tesla coil!) but it's an excellent show.

Crystalline live is incredible and there's a good few standout tracks that I'm really looking forward to hearing studio versions of.

Also: Lots of live Medúlla tracks thanks to the choir.

Amazing. :wub:

Bjork is an expert at monetizing shit isn't she. I remember she had loads of versions of albums and re-releasing all her stuff for at least a decade. Money grubbing whore.

Has she re-released many albums? I thought it was just the really old stuff which seems fair enough, it was impossible to get hold of. I quite like it when they make crazy special editions - nothing forces anyone to buy them and they can be quite creative (or just funny).

I think doing this tour in such a way as to just about guarantee making a loss (from what she said in an interview at least; those custom instruments don't come cheap and there's plans for more elaboration yet) would suggest she's not money-grabbing. Could be selling out arenas doing the hits instead if she wanted, I'm sure.

Has she re-released many albums? I thought it was just the really old stuff which seems fair enough, it was impossible to get hold of.

Maybe Palo Alto's referring to the (____surrounded)---[]{__} and Live boxsets?

Ah! Wasn't even aware of Surrounded. All the albums again in 5.1 and stereo? Right. Right. I guess if I had none or one I might go for that. The trouble with box sets like that is that unless they're dead it's pretty much out of date within a couple of years.

Have to say, I don't think much of the iOS app and if you're not committed to buying all the album within in eventually I couldn't recommend a download. The reason is that it seems when every new track is released there's a significant update containing all the new material - Virus has just become available and it's a 229MB download. Obviously you might argue that you don't have to download it, which is true, but for anyone with an iOS device you might agree with me that it's irritating to have a 'updates available' badge constantly showing both on the device and in iTunes. And obviously if you want to get rid of this you'll need to download what, if the size of Virus is a guide, may be another ~2Gig of data onto the phone or iPod. That's a hell of a chunk, especially if you don't actually unlock the content.

I can see why they've done it this way but it I guess I didn't expect each new track to be this big. Unless you've got a quite empty or very large device, and are willing to sacrifice the space, I wouldn't bother with it. (Or you're not bothered by having a constant 'updates available' badge showing on your device; but even then, it remains to be seen if you want one of the later tracks but not the ones before it, whether you'll have to download them all: I suspect you will, so there's all your space gone again on invisible content.)

EDIT: Actually, now I come to think about it, they might have done something daft like replace most or al of the original code with the first update (though it doesn't say to in the update notes); so I may as well find out.

EDIT 2: Ok, so it's not as bad as above. The app was 129.5 MB before the update, and it's 287 MB afterwards; obviously it's not over 200 MB just for the new track, but it still seems to be bulking up something rotten. That may change as the app develops, but caveat emptor I suppose.