rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
smoothe

"Gentle" Foods

I'm suffering from a bout of what I think is gastritis right now: My stomach aches really badly, sometimes debilitatingly, I'm producing lots of gas, and food just makes things worse. This is the third time I've had it at about six-weekly intervals, and it lasts about a week.

The worst thing about it is that my head feels absolutely fine which means my appetite is still intact- but eating anything even slightly interesting makes me feel terrible! I've been surviving on a diet of bananas, plain rice and lean chicken but I was wondering if anyone else had any tips, recipes, go-to foods for gastritis/IBS eating. I know there are some other sufferers on here (though I don't know if they would visit the food folder!) and would really love some variety in my diet, especially as my missus insists on eating the same meals as I do so I feel bad for her.

Help me rllmuk! I'm going to sleep tucked up with a hot water bottle feeling sorry for myself.

I've suffered similar problems for a couple of years. Doctors advice was to stop eating crap and exercise more (brisk walking). I cut out the McDonalds and try to walk at least 2 miles every day. I've barely been bothered by it since.

Avoid spices, coffee (especially black coffee, it's really bad). Drink hot water, fruit teas, and peppermint tea is supposed to be good for the digestive system.

You 'think'? Get to the doctor and find out for sure, i'm sure they can offer advice on what to eat too.

Yeah definitely go see your GP to find out what the issue is but I wouldn't trust your GP too much when it comes to nutrition advice following diagnosis if it's IBS.

In the last six weeks I've had a new female client's life completely change thanks to no longer following what her doctor's were recommending for her IBS over the years and going another route - from what used to be regular pain and serious intrusion on her life to nothing. The only lapses in her wellbeing since have been directly preceded by a lapse in her dietary choices.

Elimination is key. You're almost undoubtedly going to have to keep a few things out of your diet pretty much permanently if you are suffering from IBS. The good news is, you'll feel great and be much healthier for it anyway!

Hm, well I went to the GP and she says it's probably an ulcer. I have proton pumps and blood tests and things like that. On topic though, I'm cooking up a lovely chicken soup tonight- chicken is one thing which never seems to aggravate things and I think it'll be hot and delicious :) I haven't tried warm water to drink, not a bad plan!

I've had similar symptoms for the last year from a slightly different problem.

Burpy, can't keep food down, tend to vom stuff up if working out or eating more than a moderate amount, sometimes just randomly without warning.

Probably a hiatial hernia (to be confirmed in a few weeks) which means the type of food makes little difference, but I will say that those probiotic yoghurts are about as effective as anything I've tried.

Obviously if it's a mechanical problem then they won't fix it, but they do at least sooth the immediate unsettledness somewhat.....though I suspect that's simply due to them being thick and cold, more than anything else. I'd suspect they help more with actual stomach imbalances, though couldn't say whether they're more than a temporary measure. I know for the price I'd certainly hope so.