Halo 4 - It's the one before Halo 5

T Pot

So I live in Germany, and I've just purchased halo 4 only to find that it's entirely in German, with apparently no option to download the English language pack a la Mass Effect 3. Is this some sort of wind up, or am I genuinely in this day and age tied to only a single language when I buy a new game

I had to pause the game to come and post this. Hyperbole warning!

The end of level 4 is a pretty iconic Halo moment, but the start to level 5 is jaw dropping; the scale, and just how lush it is. I don't think I've been this impressed with a game visually since Uncharted 2, which it completely blows away.

2 more shit bits:

Level 5, I noticed there was an achievement for jacking a wraith and destroying 4 more. Can I jack one? Can I fuck! Tried from the front, from the back, killing the gunner first, a wraith with no gunner and plasma pistoling one to make it stop all with no joy. I thought it would have been an easy achievement to pick up during the mission but obviously not.

Same section, I get in a Scorpion and kill 4 elites and a bunch of grunts scampering around. Get out of tank and go to where they were but there were no bodies and not 1 gun left behind.

Very annoying.

Surprised to see no one mention the warthog being fucked. Feels like its made of cardboard.

That aside I have to say its an admiral effort. 2 hours in I am impressed at the job 343 have done. It's definitely missing something, and in terms of AI it has a few weird issues, but the graphical sheen is definitely a boost in the right direction.

I kinda wish we could have a bungie/343 collab, but given my low expectations when this was first announced I have to say I am very impressed

The Warthog is fine! Feels just like it did in Halo 2/3 to me and not like abomination from reach that would tip over from the force of a single bullet.

2 more shit bits:

Level 5, I noticed there was an achievement for jacking a wraith and destroying 4 more. Can I jack one? Can I fuck! Tried from the front, from the back, killing the gunner first, a wraith with no gunner and plasma pistoling one to make it stop all with no joy. I thought it would have been an easy achievement to pick up during the mission but obviously not.

Same section, I get in a Scorpion and kill 4 elites and a bunch of grunts scampering around. Get out of tank and go to where they were but there were no bodies and not 1 gun left behind.

Very annoying.

I jacked a wraith no probs. Took out the gunner and boosted at it in a ghost. Hopped out and jacked.

I'm not feeling all the love that you guys are for Halo 4. It feels like its lacking in something and certainly one of the worst of the series. It reminds me of Halo2 with the way it's set up, albeit not as good. Also, the grenades are shit. Sticky launcher is good though.

I'm hoping it'll improve with a bit of co-op but I'm not holding my breath.

(NB: I'll still be buying Halo 5 at launch)

So I live in Germany, and I've just purchased halo 4 only to find that it's entirely in German, with apparently no option to download the English language pack a la Mass Effect 3. Is this some sort of wind up, or am I genuinely in this day and age tied to only a single language when I buy a new game

Not trolling but language wise, only PS3 games are safe to buy in Germany because of the storage a blu-ray offers. I bought several PS3 games here in Frankfurt am Main and *every language is on each and every one of them.

* at least English

I started Campaign today.

I was pretty unprepared for how good it is. I've not finished it but based on what I've played, this is about as AAA as games get. If that means anything. All the niggles I've read seem pretty unfounded to me, especially the ones about corridors and lack of open arenas. I've got Smitty on ignore though so I've probably missed the really important stuff.

I started Campaign today.

I was pretty unprepared for how good it is. I've not finished it but based on what I've played, this is about as AAA as games get. If that means anything. All the niggles I've read seem pretty unfounded to me, especially the ones about corridors and lack of open arenas. I've got Smitty on ignore though so I've probably missed the really important stuff.

Basically, the grenade effects arent as nice as in reach.

verdict:

-3.02/100 would not exist in the same plane of reality as

The best part of this game is the opening cutscene with Dr Halsey. It goes downhill from there.

No way, best bit is the level 5 or 6 (i forget) cutscene where

the admiral guy tries to arrest Chief, who simply says "No" and then afterwards Cortana asks which of you is the REAL robot monster.

On a related note the faces look incredible!

Okay, finished for a second time. Now I know what the fuck is going on, I have to say, this is one hell of a fucking game. Utterly brilliant from start to finish. On my first playthrough I felt the final levels were not quite up to the standard of rest of the game; on my second playthrough I didn't feel that.

I still have some issues with the story, mainly

how Cortana managed to physically manifest herself to ensnare the Didact on that bridge, and of course saving John from the nuke. The former I can just about accept; the latter? Come on, his hands were ON the nuke, there's no way he wouldn't get vaporised.

But other than that, fucking bring on the next games. Let's hope 343i don't do a Bungie with the sequels.

re that bit in the ending

I figured she hacked the lightbridge emitters and used those as impromtu shields etc. Still a bit dodgily enacted though, agreed.

Not sure if I'll get flamed for this, but: is it just me or has the AI been, for want of a better phrase, fucked over? Granted I'm not on Legendary - I chose Heroic as I'm not a complete masochist (or that skilled) - but if you engage anything at long range that hasn't been activated by your presence then there's a noticeable lag before it reacts to being shot/its friends react to being shot. It's something that is so flawlessly executed in the other games that it's glaring for me at the moment.

Good bits: I really like the new graphics. Melee attacks feel meaty rather than floaty for a change.

Bad bits: magnum sounds like a pea shooter. Voice of the chief has gone from actor to video game actor. LOL QTE WTF BBQ.

Unsure of this at the moment, but the MP sounds promising.

I meant levels 3 and 4 iny post before. I was incorrectly counting the prologue.

This game is the bomb. The art direction is incredible. The palette and tone phenomonal.

Had a go at Spartan Ops. Was ok but the people I was playing with weren't talking. War Games just gets better and better. The DMR is a beast of a weapon. My reaction times have increased so I'm on targets much more quickly now.

Just one last thing. Ghosts now look and sound ace. Like a light cycle crossed with a big fat beetle. The sound generally is bonkers.

Oh yeah, I like this game.

Played some multiplayer with Sack Man 64 and Gambit last night. Had a blast , we had three games agasint one team where we won all the matches, second one being quite close and third we destroyed them, even though they outnumbered us 4v3. Then we got m,atched up with guys who were at least ten ranks above us and destroyed us. Still all good fun. And I got to show of My Master Chief armour for completing it on legendary.

Speaking of Legendary, did anyone find this easier than previous games? I've done Halo 1 on legendary (yet to do it all again on Anniversary mind), Halo 3 and ODST on co-op, and Reach and Halo 4 solo (fuck Halo 2 and those Jackal snipers). I found Reach more difficult than this. I suppose the Prometheans are tougher than the Elites, but I never really came across any sections that I had to repeat upwards of an hour, like the final fight on exodus with the bloody hammer and fuel rod Brute. I only really became stuck at two bits.Mainly when the Prometheans first turn up due to the learning curse and then the penultimate fight where

you have five or sixof the fuckers in one area. I managed to do with with the light rifle and scattershopt for three of them but then finished off the last three with an Incinerator cannon I had been carrying through the level specifically for this fight. Still, took me a good half hour to do.

I remember a few reviews saying this was the hardest Halo ever, but I never really got that stuck.

Also the new Spartan Ops missions should be out tomorrow.

Not sure if I'll get flamed for this, but: is it just me or has the AI been, for want of a better phrase, fucked over? Granted I'm not on Legendary - I chose Heroic as I'm not a complete masochist (or that skilled) - but if you engage anything at long range that hasn't been activated by your presence then there's a noticeable lag before it reacts to being shot/its friends react to being shot. It's something that is so flawlessly executed in the other games that it's glaring for me at the moment

The other games are susceptible to that too. I don't know what level you are on but things really ramp up a gear around level 4.

The other games are susceptible to that too. I don't know what level you are on but things really ramp up a gear around level 4.

Not to this extent. I'll go back and make sure it's not rose tinted, but it's always been something that has impressed me about the Halo games - with the first one I remember it being the only game since HL1 to make you feel like you've just kicked something off when you engage from distance.

I've had it too - Elites not moving (at a fair distance) while I DMR them to death.

Actually, on that note, I had a moment last night where I approached a Promethian Knight and got to well within Shotgun range and just stood looking at him while he stood blankly facing me.

Then something happened and he sprang to action.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Glad it's not just me!

You two are old hats at Halo; am I being unfair to suggest this is a new thing?

Not to this extent. How Halo CE worked was that you triggered enemies by entering a certain area and you could bypass that on levels such as AOTCR by getting to the canyon floor from the bridge and that would stop any enemies popping up. Once they were there they engaged you as far as I recall. In Halo 4 I was about 50m away from this guy.

It's worth watching the terminals in this. In Halo 3 they were basically a bit of flavour text, but in this one they seem to have decided to shove a load of contextualisation for the game's story in them that perhaps could have been better explained in the campaign itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IaL13LFaHw

Thanks for that. It's making sense now.

This seems a bizarre approach to me though. 343 seem to either expect you to be familiar with the books, or to have played through the game at least once (assuming you even unlock all of the terminals on the initial play through) before being able to understand the game's story. Or perhaps they know that people will just trawl google for background info.

But this doesn't seem particularly welcoming to anyone new to Halo. Surely the story should be told competently, and clearly within the game itself? A bit like it was in CE maybe?