rllmuk

Halo 4 - It's the one before Halo 5

I've just rattled through this weeks campaign challenges on legendary. That initial tight corridor section fighting elites is as good as anything in Halo CE. Legendary + Thunderstorm skull seems to basically turn on Halo CE mode, even the plasma pistols homing trajectory is spot on.

What does the Thunderstorm skull actually do? In Halo 3 it's defined as 'field promotions for everyone' and in Halo 4 it says 'enemy capabilities are enhanced' (or something to that effect). The thing is, I can't work out how it effects the gameplay (the A.I. seems to respond in the same way regardless).

Back when score attack existed - sob! - it was one of the skulls I'd bang on (along with Tough Luck and Fog) because it never impacted on the gameplay in an obviously negative way. But I couldn't for the life of me tell you what it does.

Anyway, Spops episode 2 trailer:

I did the first chapter of Spops on my own on Legendary last night. I don't recommend it. In fact I can absolutely, positively say it's best experienced in the company of like-minded folk. I'd really like to hit it up as foursome if anyone's interested.

I did the first chapter of Spops on my own on Legendary last night. I don't recommend it. In fact I can absolutely, positively say it's best experienced in the company of like-minded folk. I'd really like to hit it up as foursome if anyone's interested.

I'm game. Should I finish the campaign first?

There is a reason behind this... Notice on your way in the Prometheans are blue? That is because they are still under the direction of the Librarian, keeping guard to keep the Didact locked in his cell. Trying to stop bot you and the covenant from releasing him.

When he is released however, he takes control of them. That is when they turn orange. They are now trying to kill you to stop you from escaping.

Cheers for that. Makes sense.

However...

It's another example of gameplay taking a back seat to story. Which is annoying!

After complaining on another forum about the story being utter nonsense, I was directed to Halo Waypoint, as apparently it answers all my questions... Halo Waypoint is a pile of stinking shit. It's a shop window for the games and books. There is very little information available on HW that is pertinent to Halo 4's plot. I looked into the section labelled 'Universe' and was excited to see a section called 'Events'. Right! Now I'm going to get some answers, I thought. Imagine my disappointment when it's purely a selection of 35 videos and tidbits, none of which provide any back story about the events of the forerunners, nor sheds any light on the events of Halo 4.

Simple fact is if I want know more or, you know, make some fucking sense of Halo 4's story, I absolutely have to read the novels. Fuck that. I learned from Mass Effect to not bother reading third-rate prose from authors who can't be arsed, with appalling proofing that makes for a reading experience as enjoyable as a spastic trying to read War and Peace.

I've not finished the campaign yet so not sure bow much of the novels Glasslands and The Thursday war tie in with the Halo 4 plot, but they happen before and alongside the events of Halo 4 respectively so reading about them on wiki, etc. might shed some light :)

Also, if you have any questions about the story from the novels just ask, I don't get to talk about the books enough :lol:

Problem with SpOps is it feels a bit under-designed when you're playing alone, on account of all the multiplayer-style respawning you'll do (especially on higher difficulties). I suspect it would be lots more fun with a full compliment, as even with two it degenerates into a war of attrition type scenario.

Nevertheless, it's not the best thing about Halo 4. Not even close. But it's probably worth playing in co-op, if only once.

I really wish firefight was in this, as it stands outside of the campaign theres nothing for the solo player to do. Nice one locking out spartan ops to gold subscribers even though I want to do it solo.

In a few years time you might not even be able to access that content. What a waste...

• Upvote 1

Got this and played mainly multiplayer - loving it so far. Some things I don't understand though - what's the 'new player joined' business all about? Kinda spoils the game having new players come in / joining after a match has started. Also, how do 'levels' work on this? I can see i'm gaining XP and stuff, is this the ranking system equivalent? I miss the days of the Halo 2 ranking system - I loved that!! And finally - how do you get things like jet pack as your power up? I only seem to have the hologram option.

You know I thought of that very post when I wrote this!

remember that bit on level 2 of CE where you're in that structure and phantoms are landing all around you dropping off elites? Thats what I want from spartan ops. Being the hunted instead of the hunter

So mad that we remember certain key posts from so many years ago

• Upvote 1

Finished the last bit tonight. What a great swan-song for the 360.

343 have picked up the torch and carried it with aplomb, really only guilty of replicating Halo elements a little too closely. But hey, if my only real complaint is that it's too similar to the previous games, they can't be doing too badly! Let's not forget this is a first title from a new studio too! What a debut.

Halo 5 as a 720 launch title gives them the chance to put their own spin on it and shake things up a bit. I really hope they continue to push further into unknown territory. Halo 4 felt like waving goodbye in some respects, and a new beginning in others. It was true to the series and true to itself, they've earned the right to make it theirs now.

Bravo chaps.

• Upvote 4

Have not played lots yet and mainly multiplayer (infinity slayer) but have to say apart from looking great (the campaign intro in particular) am not really into it all that much.

Very Minor early spoiler

The bit with the climbing just seemed gimmicky and the fact that in co-op only 1 of us was involved was a bit poor

Multiplayer just seems to be designed for if previous games struggled to hold your attention, way more happening, highlighting the grenades, weapon drops (is there rhyme or reason to when these become available to you?). The grenades were what made halo for me in many ways and now they seem much weaker too. The load outs seem weird, I don't see a problem with them but if there are some only available to certain people playing, then what's the point. The spartans just feel much bouncier and less of a force than in previous games -though can't put my finger on why. Instant respawns make it much less likely that you can get a double kill and then recouperate and come back and be a force to be reckoned with again. I don't play many FPS games, but it reminds me of timesplitters 2 so far.

I still don't understand all the weapons in fairness and it's early days but having only bought a 360 and been playing reach for the last month that definitely seems to be more to my tastes.

I'll persevere for now but put me in the camp that doesn't like change :)

Well just completed campaign and wow..... What a game.

Graphically faultless throughout. Stunning changes in direction. Only a few moments where you could feel the repetition of shooting and venue but then quickly surprised.

What an excellent swan song for 360 and a cracking title for a new group.

With all the hype of multiplayer I am over moon that some developers still focus energy on producing a classic campaign.

Highly recommended. Don't worry about trying to understand it all, just enjoy!!