Halo 4 - It's the one before Halo 5

T Pot

It's 5 shots, just like the DMR/BR, isn't it?

4 to the body, 1 to the head?

the LR zoomed is 4 shot kill. If you hit the first shot zoomed with the LR and the rest unzoomed it's still 4 shots... (last shot headshot)

here:

edit: not sure if the zoomed shot has to be the first or if it just has to be one of the shots...

I'm not clicking with the light rifle. Using that perk which allows two primary weapons - DMR & AR is a fairly legal combination in slayer and regicide matches.

I'm quite enjoying Spartan Ops and wouldn't mind going through a few with some of you guys. Anyone interested?

I'm not clicking with the light rifle. Using that perk which allows two primary weapons - DMR & AR is a fairly legal combination in slayer and regicide matches.

I'm quite enjoying Spartan Ops and wouldn't mind going through a few with some of you guys. Anyone interested?

I'm doing this a lot too - so much so that my go-to loadout for Infinity Slayer is now DMR/AR/Frags/Jetpack/Firepower/Ordinance.

I'm just not so hot with a DMR (I panic too much in 50-50s) so having an automatic and quicker access to power weapons really helps even the playing field for me.

It also means I'm the one panicking opponents by peppering them with automatic fire when they're unloading their DMR my way. They just don't expect it. :ph34r:

Have you tried the perk that boosts your grenade radius, too? It's especially brilliant on Haven where everyone congregates in the downstairs-middle. Makes your 'nades more like old-style Halo ones.

I managed to have a few games with Clustr and I think some other Rllmuk folk the other day and would love to again. I'm having a shit time with BT at the moment, which means when the phone rings the net drops out completely (and indeed me from any game I'm playing) which is bit annoying to say the least. So, I don't know if there is a Rllmuk Halo 4 GT, or a group, or something. But anyone is welcome to add me - Nagrub - for some casual online games. I'd like to run through Spartan ops. I did the last chapter the other day with randoms and it was great. Also the 5 seconds of the Flood infection mode I played was fun, before my internet dropped out.

I think the Light Rifle - unlike the BR, DMR and Carbine - is not a hitscan weapon, meaning its bullets are subject to travel time and don't hit the target the instant you pull the trigger. I find I have to lead my shots when I'm shooting at a target from a distance - that I have to anticipate where my opponent will be when the shots land. Before anyone says anything I don't think it's a lag issue, because I don't have any problems with the other precision weapons.

I'd be up for playing through the latest set of Spops missions if we can find a couple like-minded folks to roll with. The most recent set of missions were reasonably enjoyable, possibly because

there aren't any Promethean bullet sponges to stink up the experience.

I think the Light Rifle - unlike the BR, DMR and Carbine - is not a hitscan weapon, meaning its bullets are subject to travel time and don't hit the target the instant you pull the trigger.

That'd be really fucking weird if it's true, the writeup states it shoots HARD LIGHT and last I heard light travels faster than bullets. :wacko:

That'd be really fucking weird if it's true, the writeup states it shoots HARD LIGHT and last I heard light travels faster than bullets. :wacko:

Not that weird compared with the general weirdness of being a cyborg super soldier in 2557, up against crazy ancient robots and fanatically religious aliens whilst being in love with a blue hologram with big titties surely.

Been playing this with mates lately, done it legendary in co-op (already done it solo but always fun runing friends over in a ghost_ and done all the spartans ops on legendary as well.

However I just remembered something from my Legendary playthrough that made me realise why I fucking love the Halo games. On the very first level when you exit the ship, I was fighting some enemies at distance, when I ran out of ammo, I backtracked and discovered a Covie sniper rifle lying near my start position and used it to clear out the enemies. On further playthrough I was looking for this rifle but it never appeared again. Then I realised what had happened. I had taken out the guy with the rifle, and due to the game's low gravity the Jackal's death throes had actually launched the rifle towards me because of the area's low gravity. It just went to illustrate that you can play the game so many times, and the fights will almost never be exactly the same each time. Yes even though games like MOH and COD will have enemies who may try and flank, they are most designed around big set pieces. Halo is design in putting smart enemies in areas of a level and seeing what happens. That situation with the rifle may be a minor example, but the way my battle had turned out combined with the area's physics and the enemies reactions to my action threw up a little scenario that I doubt could be reproduced so easily.

Just been mauled over about an hour's worth of Team Slayer after a week of doing well... stopped playing to lick my wounds and re-think my approach. It's an amazing game... but I think the feel of it has changed massively from Halo 3 and Reach, the trend in encounters isn't that you react to fire any more - you die because you came under fire in the wrong place.

The more I play the more curious I am to go back to Halo 3 and see what that's like online now...

We've all been fooled by the solid level design, exciting pacing, and spectacular action

Yeah, the gameplay sounds amazing there.

We're also not so crippled by nostalgia that we can't enjoy an exceptional game.

It genuinely is nothing to do with 'nostalgia', what a ridiculous comment that is.

How do you explain my admiration for Reach - is that nostalgia too?

Also, that comment is deeply and deliciously ironic given that everyone's jizzing their pants over how it is 'so like the original' and 'alien and grand like the first' etc etc.

Trust me. I'm more of a Halo connosieur than you'll ever be

This from Mr REACH IS A SHITPILE WINDMILL. Seriously?

If this game is so amazing why aren't I in here jazz-handing around the place? You think I have some sort of problem with Halo? I thought I was some sort of Halo fanboy? I criticise the latest flashy one and suddenly i'm a heretic who knows nothing about Halo?

Do I not get to be a Halo fan now, then? Because I don't like the shiny new crowd-please box-ticking pretender to the throne? BUT DEM GRAPHICS, SMITTY.

343 have done some great stuff with the presentation and so on. But they need to take a long hard look at their combat 'sandbox'.

This game does stuff which I literally cannot comprehend six games into a series, a series which has changed hands no less. How could 343 NOT learn from Bungie's mistakes? They have all the time, money and other resources in the world to get this stuff right. What could possible excuse could there be? People CRUCIFIED Bungie for mistakes made after 1, but a new studio with unimainable resources and five games to study and learn from makes basic mistakes and they get a free pass for it because people like the visuals?

Also, despite its quality, most people seem to agree that Halo 4 plays it pretty safe. It does nothing new or exciting with the gameplay.

Apparently they spent 95% of that time working on lensflare effects and nice graphics, apparently forgetting about getting things tight as fuck where it matters - the combat. Who feels threatened by an Elite in this game? Who feels threatened by a Knight? Why does basic combat with Elite and Grunt groups feel so staid and boring?

And why not bring up CE? As I said before - everyone else is. And why shouldn't 343 work to that standard, especially in a game which bathes in the first games reflected glory with its focus back on grand alien structures and mystery?

They're the ones saying WHOOOO HEY ITS LIKE HALO 1 OR SOMETHING YEAH BUY IT. So why not hold them to that standard? Why not ask for a set of mechanics that feels so solid you could build an entire series on it? Why not ask for a set of weapons which compliment each other, rather 1000000000 fairly similiar ones? Why not ask for some slightly more interesting behaviours (don't get me wrong, I like what there it is, but it ain't enough) from you new main enemies?

I don't think they are fun to fight, either. With the Covenant or Flood you get instant and obvious feedback to your shots. A reaction from a grunt, A crackling shield of an Elite, Limbs flying off of the Flood. The Promethean Knights just stand there like lemons. After a while of being shot their head sort of turns blue? And then they die sometime after being shot a fair bit more. They don't give a good reaction upon every shot like the other enemy types do.

They do need more feedback, I agree.

They're bullet sponges too, I can't imagine what they're going to be like on Legendary.

Obviously. But it's an example of the design priorities of the two games. Reach gives you a spaceship to fly about in freely, engaging in a massive space battle. 4 leads you along thinking that it's nonsense of a story has done enough that you'll forgive it for

a 10 minute tunnel, followed by 30 seconds of actually being able to move in a 360˚ space.

It's a waste of a potential set-piece. A set piece sorely needed by that point in Halo 4. Actually forget set-pieces, it's a waste of potentially engaging gameplay.

Agreed. It was exciting in a narrative sense, but whilst I was following a straight line down a tunnel I realised this section was stealing valuable real gameplay time (and resources from the devs, its pretty grand) from me as a player.

It was 'cool' but not interesting gameplay wise.

Man fuck this game, finished a level yesterday got the achievement for it then played a bit of the following level got an invite to play online so accepted the invite, turned it back on this morning loaded single player and im back the level before, WTF. So this game doesnt save after chapters then itself and you have to manual save it everytime?.

I mostly like the game, but Halo 4 is without doubt the easiest Legendary campaign I've ever played. There were certain sections I wasn't looking forward to (having already completed the game on Heroic) but the game throws so many checkpoints at you it's almost impossible not to progress. I also think the hitboxes are too generous in this. It's incredibly easy to headshot the Covenant forces.

In a way I'm not complaining. I'm too old to be throwing myself in to the videogaming equivalent of a meatgrinder add infinitum. I did that with Halo 2 on Legendary and it was never anything less than utterly horrible.

One other thing I kinda liked but I suspect everyone else hated:

the QTE at the end of the game. The whole time I was working my way towards the Didact I was anticipating some bloody awful Tartarus-style boss battle. I was actually kinda relieved when it was done and dusted inside of five seconds.

Beat it on Legendary. The room filled with knights took a while, but my heart was racing when It was down to the last one, fired the scattershot and click empty so I just ran up to him in a blind panic and beat him to death with the butt of it. Proper heart racing stuff.

Missed a couple of terminals and chapter specific achievements, so go through again on Heroic??? I think so

:D

Man fuck this game, finished a level yesterday got the achievement for it then played a bit of the following level got an invite to play online so accepted the invite, turned it back on this morning loaded single player and im back the level before, WTF. So this game doesnt save after chapters then itself and you have to manual save it everytime?.

Resume campaign takes you to your last save and quit moment, but you can access the later level direct from front menu.

I had to redo half an hour last night because I didnt do a save n quit. I wrongly assumed that yhe checkpoint reached message meant it had saved too. Bit backward not to imo.

Are you saying that if instead of doing a resume campaign I could choose a level to play and that would let me resume my campaign at the most recent checkpoint even though I didn't save?

I had to redo half an hour last night because I didnt do a save n quit. I wrongly assumed that yhe checkpoint reached message meant it had saved too. Bit backward not to imo.

Are you saying that if instead of doing a resume campaign I could choose a level to play and that would let me resume my campaign at the most recent checkpoint even though I didn't save?

Not exactly. There are 2 'rally points' in each mission so you might get back to roughly where you were depending on how far you got. I did it on the last level and I was very relived to only lose a few minutes progress.

I mean if you save on mission 3, then make it to half way through mission 4 and switch off....resume campaign will load mission 3, but the menu will give access to the start of mission 4.