Halo 4 - It's the one before Halo 5

T Pot

that's really good. what guns / Am Ability / tactics were you using?

I like to learn.. :blush:

It was on that level with the base on the middle and lots of plants. Don't remember the name and I was using noob combo, fast reload, plasma grenades, jet pack and extra grenades I think. Got the shotgun 3 times from ordinance and kept an eye on saw drops.

I've been playing it on heroic and it was all easy until...

what the fuck are you supposed to do in the landing bay bit with respawning covenant? The game keeps telling me to run to the controls to put up the shield but that just gets me killed. I must have tried this bit 20 times now!

On Legendary I cleared the area with the gun emplacement, laid plasma nade cover to move into, picked up the minigun when my shields poped and then moved forward while putting down fire with the mini gun. The gun emplacements are very powerful in this one imo.

So, what's the consensus on the best single player level? I'm think level 7 Composer, tight quarters, loads of Covies, great fun.

Honestly? All of it. There are one or two dips where it feels like you're just fannying about instead of smashing the fuck out of things, but for me the level of excitement and enjoyment was always nothing short of top notch. From the atmospheric and well-realised beginning, to the poignant and low-key end. No level really outstays its welcome and all of it looks incredible with a great attention to detail. A lot of it is down to the texture work, which when done right can more than hold its own against increased geometry - the opening ship level and the desert rocks being excellent examples. If you look at sparth's work on CGHub you will see the almost uncanny similarity between his visuals and the finished game, not only in content but style.

I have never been one to ooh and aah at the AI of the enemies or rely on any tactics - things move about and I shoot the fuck out of them - for me the Halo games have always been about the environments and the sense of place and your journey though them. I am more than happy to play on normal/easy if it means I can spend more time looking at things and enjoying the hard work the artists have obviously put into this series. So many recent shooters almost drag you through the levels at such a speed that you never have time to appreciate (or mock) the world around you, and all I say is fuck those games for doing that. Halo (and Rage for the most part) does it right - you have an objective and you make your own way there at your own pace and as such, the story evolves at the same pace.

So yeah, a truly excellent game not only because of the way it allows you to play your own way and still keep it exciting, but because it looks incredible and is something that I can see being a great reference and inspiration for my own work.

Actually, one touch that I noticed upon first play through (in co-op) is the turning on the spot animation of the chief, i'm sure that in previous games the Chief kind of turns on a turntable, in this he shifts his feet around properly. Its not much but it really impressed me.

So many recent shooters almost drag you through the levels at such a speed that you never have time to appreciate (or mock) the world around you, and all I say is fuck those games for doing that. Halo (and Rage for the most part) does it right - you have an objective and you make your own way there at your own pace and as such, the story evolves at the same pace.

One of my favourite things about Halo. I gave MW 3 a go and after one level I'd had enough. You can't stay still for one second without someone barking orders at you. I think there are collectables in that game too, what an irritating experience that must be...

MP: the binary rifle kicks butt: quick zoom, BOOM! evapourated, mother fucker. love the rail gun too.

But if this is the most MS spent on a Halo game could they not have pushed the boat out a little further with dedicated servers? Anyway used to lag and black screens now... unfortunately.

bolt shot reload glitch:

I'm having trouble getting into this online. Campaign mode is good (on the last level at the moment) but the multiplayer isn't what I was hoping for.

Instant respawning, getting killed by people who can see through walls, powder-puff grenades, players zooming around with mysterious armour abilities, hardly any weapons to pick up on the battlefield, no explanation of game modes or powerups... How the hell am I supposed to get into this? Is there a training mode or something?

Last game I played, I was dumped straight into a match in progress and got run over by a Banshee before I could even move.

Completed it on legendary (solo). Took me a leisurely 19hrs 35mins (I tend to be a cautious player, picking off most enemies from range and only getting up close and personal when an opportunity presents itself or I'm out of suitable long-range weaponry).

Great game.

You know, I used to think I was bad at Halo. Turns out I'm okay, if suicidal - but some of these guys can't even utilise the menu correctly. Heading into a King of the Hill game where everyone ignores the hill completely is pretty commonplace.

In my last two games, I had over a minute in the hill whereas my other four team mates had mere seconds apiece.

You know, I used to think I was bad at Halo. Turns out I'm okay, if suicidal - but some of these guys can't even utilise the menu correctly. Heading into a King of the Hill game where everyone ignores the hill completely is pretty commonplace.

In my last two games, I had over a minute in the hill whereas my other four team mates had mere seconds apiece.

Half the players don't know what's going on because the game never explains the rules. I loved Halo 3 - there was some website that had a breakdown of every stat, and it said I'd spent over eight hours waiting to respawn. It wasn't time wasted, for me, it was time spent thinking about how I'd do better in a moment (while the controller rumbled as the other player dipped his nuts onto my face).

Halo 4, though... I was doing okay in a game a minute ago, then I got the drop on some player but it turns out he had some kind of yellow invincibility shield I'd never seen before, so I emptied two clips into his back and he just turns around and kills me. Instant rage quit. Fuck this game, I'm swapping this worthless piece of shit for Hitman Absolution.

Half the players don't know what's going on because the game never explains the rules. I loved Halo 3 - there was some website that had a breakdown of every stat, and it said I'd spent over eight hours waiting to respawn. It wasn't time wasted, for me, it was time spent thinking about how I'd do better in a moment (while the controller rumbled as the other player dipped his nuts onto my face).

app.halowaypoint.com

Also, don't hit X to respawn and that gives you a minute to think about why you are shit and died.

Halo 4, though... I was doing okay in a game a minute ago, then I got the drop on some player but it turns out he had some kind of yellow invincibility shield I'd never seen before, so I emptied two clips into his back and he just turns around and kills me. Instant rage quit. Fuck this game, I'm swapping this worthless piece of shit for Hitman Absolution.

Overshield. It's been in all Halo games.

Fuck this game, I'm swapping this worthless piece of shit for Hitman Absolution.

Martin Kitts? I remember your love of Hitman 2 from NGC days.

Please don't trade this in for Absolution... You'll only become more enraged. (See relevant thread, or at the very least the first post of.)

Martin Kitts? I remember your love of Hitman 2 from NGC days.

Please don't trade this in for Absolution... You'll only become more enraged. (See relevant thread, or at the very least the first post of.)

Hey, I like the idea of wrestling a giant mutant Danny Trejo!

Also, don't hit X to respawn and that gives you a minute to think about why you are shit and died.

Overshield. It's been in all Halo games.

Thanks for the tips. The spawning thing is crap, though. Killing a player should penalise his team by putting him out of action for a while, that's how it worked in previous (better) games. Can you still get a medal for obliterating an entire team?

Just finished the campaign - that was *amazing*.

I have been holding off posting much until I got the campaign done and having finished it on heroic last night I can now confirm, Halo 4 has the best campaign of the entire series. In terms of presentation, story and action 343 have done a fantastic job. Proper excited to see where they take things from here.

Hopefully gonna get a bigger story related post up tomorrow once I have read some more of The Thursday War. I know its been mentioned earlier in the thread that much of the game story requires prior knowledge of the books but I don't think is really the case. Sure, the books add a lot of depth to some characters and plot points but they aren't essential to the overall experience, they just enhance it.

I was very skeptical before playing Halo 4 and feared the worst but 343 have achieved something I thought they would never do. They have brought everything I ever imagined about the forerunners from the books and set the scene on a trilogy that could well eclipse bungies work. Keep the books and games coming 343... Legendary status awaits!!

Whilst I definitely rate the campaign highly, I don't really enjoy fighting the Prometheans.

Crawlers are okay by me: they traverse the environment in a unique way but can be dispatched easily with precision weapons, so they bring a new dynamic to combat. Functionally Watchers are also interesting, although I think they miss a trick by not really requiring a specific approach; as far as I can tell they don't have a weakspot or a particular vulnerability, so it's just a case of shooting them with whatever.

For me the Knights are the real disappointment. Fundamentally they require a similar strategy to Elites — pop shield, go for the head — but I think they screw with the dynamic by teleporting away when you're going in for the kill plus they don't have the same level of feedback that an Elite's gradual shield glow, and eventual pop, have. If I'm missing something then hopefully someone can fill me in, but as it stands I don't really see what they bring to the table other than annoyance; on Legendary the shotgun variant strikes me as particularly cheap.

This is a bit of a tangent, but something I love about the original Halo is that even on Legendary you can take down a Hunter with a single magnum round in the right place. Now I agree they probably should be a little bit more resilient, but the thing I've always enjoyed most about the series' combat is that when you know how to handle them any individual enemy is fairly trivial, the challenge arising from picking apart mixed groups, constantly adapting your approach based on the composition of hostile forces. Whilst this is largely true of Halo 4 — Grunts still only need a headshot, Jackals the one-two to hand and head — I often felt like the only particular strategy the Knights encouraged was "hold on to a power weapon, and don't put it down or it'll disappear".

I'd really like to be mistaken about this, so I'm all ears if anyone has something to say to the contrary.