IGNORED

The 3D games on a 3D TV review thread

I'm interested in learning how the hell the conversion works but in Skyrim especially I'm positive it enhances the looks of the game. In this case it adds depth, which heightens immersion and that's a plus.

Black Ops is definitely 3D enabled. MW3 is definitely not. :(

Shame, ah well still plenty to play. Resistance 3, SOTC/Ico, Gears 3, Crysis 1 + 2 are all looking to be my next game. I'm guessing youre on the Panny plasma range?

Crysis XBLA : By far the best use of 3D yet in the games I've played, absolutely stunning and really immersive, hardly any ghosting.

Holy shit, I didn't know this had a 3D option. I'll be giving it a go later. Needed an excuse to get back into it again.

Crysis is very lovely in 3d, it's side by side 3d and doesnt look to have a resolution drop (i may be wrong, its still in 1080p). The only issue is you get crosstalk on your gun sites when looking at black, but its worth it for the immersion.

Shame, ah well still plenty to play. Resistance 3, SOTC/Ico, Gears 3, Crysis 1 + 2 are all looking to be my next game. I'm guessing youre on the Panny plasma range?

Yes. £500 for a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma 3D tv with two pairs of the latest version of the glasses included was too hard to turn down. I found it really hard to get hold of as my local Curry's kept selling out of the damn thing!

Yes. £500 for a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma 3D tv with two pairs of the latest version of the glasses included was too hard to turn down. I found it really hard to get hold of as my local Curry's kept selling out of the damn thing!

Sweet, the exact same set / deal as me. Be interesting to compare TV settings, if not for anyone else :)

I've not tinkered too much with the settings so far to be honest. I have had to remove my coffee table from the living room though as during the day the screen was showing the tables reflection too much!

Obviously there are the inbuilt settings, Dynamic, Cinema, True Cinema, Game etc and I have found a few of these to be very usable. Temporarily anyway.

I considered it a bonus feature, but he's right, it does look very good. Results vary but it adds a lovely depth and shimmer to the picture. I was playing Xbox Zsnes last night and its lovely with that...Mario World looks gorgeous, Axelay and Contra 3 were great. You need to see it in action to understand.

:blink:

It's like someone telling me magic really exists.... but ok, I'll take your word for it until I see it in the flesh.

:blink:

It's like someone telling me magic really exists.... but ok, I'll take your word for it until I see it in the flesh.

For me it was a combination of excitedly reading about a bargain, £499.99 for a 42" TV that is the equivalent of last years 2nd top model (G20), with 2x glasses worth £79.99 each. That and wanting to try something new..last year it was plasma, so this year it was 3d. Trying to be open minded and all that. I love it to bits, I cant wait to see the improvements in the tech over the years.

And now....run away..settings talk.

Well, at first I ran everything in GAME mode, but now when im watching / playing 3d, I use dynamic. It gives that bit extra brightness push over the others, hideous for normal viewing, but perfect to boost 3d brightness. I'm also using the ingame brightness to add extra, too. Not that its dark, I just like a bright picture and the active glasses obviously take some of that away. I'm currently using (rough values, slider bars innit)

view mode dynamic

contrast full

brightness 50%

colour 30%

sharpness 0%

colour balance normal, sometimes cool

vivid colour on

CATS off

PNR off

3d detection on

3d strength (2d-3d only) max

intelligent frame creation off

resolution enhancer max

overscan off

For me it was a combination of excitedly reading about a bargain, £499.99 for a 42" TV that is the equivalent of last years 2nd top model (G20), with 2x glasses worth £79.99 each. That and wanting to try something new..last year it was plasma, so this year it was 3d. Trying to be open minded and all that. I love it to bits, I cant wait to see the improvements in the tech over the years.

And now....run away..settings talk.

Well, at first I ran everything in GAME mode, but now when im watching / playing 3d, I use dynamic. It gives that bit extra brightness push over the others, hideous for normal viewing, but perfect to boost 3d brightness. I'm also using the ingame brightness to add extra, too. Not that its dark, I just like a bright picture and the active glasses obviously take some of that away. I'm currently using (rough values, slider bars innit)

view mode dynamic

contrast full

brightness 50%

colour 30%

sharpness 0%

colour balance normal, sometimes cool

vivid colour on

CATS off

PNR off

3d detection on

3d strength (2d-3d only) max

intelligent frame creation off

resolution enhancer max

overscan off

Dynamic is retina melting bit I have to admit I've used it a lot as well. I do need to tinker with colour slider more though.

Dynamic is retina melting bit I have to admit I've used it a lot as well. I do need to tinker with colour slider more though.

I've a normal G20 aswell as this set, and the gamma settings are locked away in ours. I only use it for 3d, I use GAME for everything else. Some of the profiles as i call them have different options locked out. Some you cant turn off overscan etc so it's worth a browse through.

PC stuff uses the z buffer from the GPU.

almost all modern games have some kind of z information on a polygon basis, to help render where everything is in the pretend 3d space.

as for best 3 ever, I have everything mentioned before in the thread, but have to say Monster hunter portable 3rd HD on the PS3 has the singularly most consistent, impressive 3d of anything I have played, even beating crysis 1 and 2 and Wipeout HD.

When the 3DS can do 3d video I will post a few youtube videos, it is truly astonishing. basically rock solid frame rate, no tearing and ultra consistent 3d effect

Ive noticed there are some 3D " Monitors " by LG appearing to buy, that allow full 3D as if they were a TV. ie no PC tech needed! they even come with Cinema 3D Glasses. Passive as well.

So essentially.. the first batch of 23" 3D TV's ?

I'd suggest that 3D is better the bigger the tv you can view it on. I'd be surprised if the market for 'bedroom' 3D tv's takes off anytime soon. Sony's £400+ 24" Playstation tv is an odd one.

I tried out Crysis in 3D on the 360 last night and it was pretty decent. Perhaps the age of the game is even more apparent when you play it in 3D but nonetheless the added dimension worked well. It's not in the same league as Killzone 3 though which has blatantly had stuff added in to add to the immersion. I've went back to Motorstorm Apocalypse as well and for some reason I'm now playing it from the zoomed out view in 3D. Feels right for some reason. I played it through to completion on my old tv using the in car view.

Ah.. but I only recently in the last 2 years bought an all singing(?) all dancing 42" TV

this is exactly my reason for having a small hobbyist 3D TV in the corner.

Besides they are under 200 pounds as well!

Sell your other 42" on Gumtree or something similar?

Put that and your £200 together and get a half decent 42" 3D tv. I've never tried it but I'd imagine a 23" tv would negate the 3D effect somewhat. My first ever LCD tv was a 26" many years ago and it's fair to say I never really appreciated HD until I got a much bigger tv.

I've got a Panasonic 3D set. To be honest I was not impressed at all with 3D gaming, tried most of them, Super Stardust is the best out of them all, it looks amazing! I like some of the 3D films, Avatar etc, but gaming is pretty ropey, too much ghosting. I considered it an added little bonus when I bought my tv as all I wanted was a bigger screen and plasma.

Ghosting isn't the games' fault, it's a result of the screen technology being unable to completely block each eye's feed from the other. Games will usually have more areas of highly contrasted graphics compared to films (crosshairs, HUDs, etc.), so the effect will be more noticable, but it's ultimately a problem with the TV.

I thought passive glasses (polarized screens) were supposed to be better for ghosting, but I tried one out in Tesco (LG, I think it was) and it was horrible. Double-images all over the place. Might've just been shitty glasses but I wasn't impressed.

One of these days I'm sure it'll be worthwhile. :unsure:

My lounge TV is pretty old now, a 37" bought in 2005 or so, so it has a massive bezel and I can fit a 46" in the same space if I choose carefully. I've been into 3D for ever, since I first played with it at uni in the 90s so I'm rather surprised I haven't bought one yet. We have 3 kids though, so active 3D glasses are both expensive and likely to get lost/broken on a regular basis which rules them out for me.

Does anyone here have a passive 3D set, or have tried out the no-glasses philips sets? I do wonder if the quality of the ambient lighting has an effect on passive sets - does anyone have any trusted sites worth reading?

I do think that 3D gaming is a stretch just a tiny bit too far for the GPUs in the current generation, ideally you want to be able to run at 120Hz full HD and it's hard enough for PS3 and 360 to get to 60Hz at HD resolutions - games push for visual effects at 30Hz usually, not a good match for 3D IMO.

My lounge TV is pretty old now, a 37" bought in 2005 or so, so it has a massive bezel and I can fit a 46" in the same space if I choose carefully. I've been into 3D for ever, since I first played with it at uni in the 90s so I'm rather surprised I haven't bought one yet. We have 3 kids though, so active 3D glasses are both expensive and likely to get lost/broken on a regular basis which rules them out for me.

Does anyone here have a passive 3D set, or have tried out the no-glasses philips sets? I do wonder if the quality of the ambient lighting has an effect on passive sets - does anyone have any trusted sites worth reading?

I do think that 3D gaming is a stretch just a tiny bit too far for the GPUs in the current generation, ideally you want to be able to run at 120Hz full HD and it's hard enough for PS3 and 360 to get to 60Hz at HD resolutions - games push for visual effects at 30Hz usually, not a good match for 3D IMO.

Go to AV Forums to read up on peoples opinions on passive sets. Numerous people there have them.

I have a passive LG and literally no ghosting....... but you have to set the input to "PC" which I am sure Tesco did not.

nothing I have played has ghosting, only GT 5 has a weird colour bug, but everything else is great. like I said before when the nintendo 3DS is movie capable ill post some YouTube reviews of various games 3D implementation.

Cheers chaps, I will go look at avforums. I'm pretty familiar with the tech, been playing with commercial 3d tech on and off since the 90s.

20 quid isn't bad for AS glasses, if they were always that price I don't think I'd mind too much. I am a bit surprised nobody is offering a kit to bang two projectors together so you could have full HD passive 3d.

When I had desktop 3d before, I had an Elsa LCD shutter set at home so current active 3d TVs are largely the same as that. I never got much use out of it though, there wasn't much software which worked with it. I see a lot of the same titles coming up in this thread, do we think it's likely to get better or are we really waiting for new consoles?

I see a lot of the same titles coming up in this thread, do we think it's likely to get better or are we really waiting for new consoles?

Numerous titles came out in 3D or where patched for 3D in 2011. I'd expect that to escalate in 2012. Even Microsoft got on the bandwagon with Halo and Gears of War 3.