Nicolas Winding Refn‘s Drive

lordcookie

• 6 months later...

I'd love a print of all these alternative Drive posters!

^ This is probably my favourite though :wub:

The one that's on this page from Cake and Comics is available to buy. It's dirt cheap as it's not a limited run but apparently the print quality is superb. I'll find a link for you.

EDIT: http://www.onthewall.co.uk/Drive-Poster-Print-Ferguson-OTW0017/dp/B00B9B4HDA?field_availability=-1&field_browse=1703509031&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Drive+Poster+Print+Ferguson+OTW0017&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=1703509031&searchPage=1&searchRank=-product_site_launch_date&searchSize=12

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rescored version was on tonight on BBC3. Noticed it by chance and ended up watching the whole thing. Unsurprisingly it was a complete waste of effort. It would be one thing if he'd tried something a bit different with it - maybe some modern electronica or something, and seeing that Jon Hopkins was in the list of contributors briefly got my hopes up - but it seemed to be simply an inferior imitation of the original soundtrack and style for the most part. I don't really understand what would possess someone to do this.

Heard an advert for it on R1 this morning. As mentioned, it's just the most futile and pointless thing anyone's ever done. The OST is such an integral part of Drive, to think of this film without A Real Hero, Under Your Spell, Nightcall etc is pretty much stripping away half of what made it great.

If anyone wants to remind themselves how good it actually is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inMjbQd-O6A

It's on iPlayer. 'The reason we picked Drive is because we love it so much, and because the music and the film are perfect together': surely a reason not to do it?

An interesting experiment though, and I quite like the idea behind it. Any decent films with mediocre soundtracks that could actually benefit from something like this?

Wow, it really is terrible. It doesn't help that it also makes you listen out for the soundtrack specifically, rather than just enjoy the film.

I've got the proper version on now and 'Tick of the Clock' bubbling under the first five minutes truly makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. This re-scored version had nothing :huh:

I've not yet seen Drive and was pretty pumped for watching it on BBC3 HD last night. Then I saw it was a rescored version and decided no way was my first watch going to be that.

However, I've just got a new Smart blu-ray player and it looks like the film'ss available via the Curzon Home Cinema app. Anyone know what the quality is like using that?

Not sure why people are so against the idea of it, you still have the option of watching the film as intended. And rescoring movies is not in itself a new idea. Seems more the usual bent against Zane Lowe than the actual meddling.

I've recorded it so haven't watched it through properly, but the sound mix sounded off when I flicked over at times last night. As though you're listening to the new soundtrack through the earphones of someone next to you on a bus.

I saw this last night, just seemed like a massive vanity project for Zane Lowe/Radio 1.

The original soundtrack was an integral part of the film why change something that is as good as it gets.

Looking at the backlash on Twitter it didn't seem to go down too well generally.

Not sure why people are so against the idea of it, you still have the option of watching the film as intended. And rescoring movies is not in itself a new idea. Seems more the usual bent against Zane Lowe than the actual meddling.

Because he (and the BBC) have made a big fuss out of basically doing nothing. It's like when that fucking muppet did a shot for shot remake of Psycho, successfully creating something that was simultaneously the same and worse.