Nicolas Winding Refn‘s Drive

lordcookie

I've just gotten around to watching this tonight. Wow.

I loved it. Loved it. Loved it. The soundtrack is amazing and I'll be using my Christmas iTunes vouchers for that!

The tension was just immense. I was rubbing my hands together for most of the film. The scene in the lift, especially!

One thing I'm not too sure about is

why he wore the mask when he went to kill Perlman?

Oh sweet jesus, film of FOREVER. I've just listened to College - A Real Hero at least fifteen times on repeat. Tomorrow I'm going into town, buying a white grandad top, smearing grease all over it then strutting through Bromley passing off fifteen yard stares like I own it.

Not really. I might try a Gosling side part though.

:wub:

I just watched this recently on a plane with headphones on and must have seemed like a complete loon to the stranger sat beside me as I kept letting out little yelps of excitement and squirming in my seat. So wildly tense. I did love the soundtrack too, but definitely not the lyrics/vocals. They just made me wince.

Just revisited this. Still absolutely brilliant, the kind of film you take through your life I think.

Anyway, I think I spotted a gag:

When Driver goes to his trailer to pick up his mask for the confrontation with Nino, I'm sure those are Christina Hendricks dummy heads for the bathroom shotgun scene in there.

Oh sweet jesus, film of FOREVER. I've just listened to College - A Real Hero at least fifteen times on repeat. Tomorrow I'm going into town, buying a white grandad top, smearing grease all over it then strutting through Bromley passing off fifteen yard stares like I own it.

Not really. I might try a Gosling side part though.

:wub:

On my mp3 player i basically listen to the first five tracks on repeat.

This is firmly stuck in my brain, love it:

Just revisited this. Still absolutely brilliant, the kind of film you take through your life I think.

Anyway, I think I spotted a gag:

When Driver goes to his trailer to pick up his mask for the confrontation with Nino, I'm sure those are Christina Hendricks dummy heads for the bathroom shotgun scene in there.

Good spot, I think you're right.

I watched the Blu-Ray last night and loved it just as much as I did in the cinema. I also found this rather spiffy Mike Horowitz poster recently too:

drive___poster_by_mikehorowitz-d4i61zo.jpg

Just watched this for the first time. Excellent stuff. I've read complaints that the film's "slow". Sure, it's slow, but never less than totally riveting. Ryan's character reminded me a little bit of that other Ryan, who starred in The Driver, but only a little bit. Same almost blank expression, nameless, totally ice cool, his not giving anything away leading to most people reading him wrong, and underestimating him. Gosling's driver is more of a psychotic, but still has that little bit of hero buried deep below the surface of what is essentially a pretty bad guy.

Lone wolf characters can be faintly ludicrous if handled wrong. But in the context of the somewhat dreamy urban landscapes of Drive, Gosling is superb.

I downloaded it, but have now ordered the blu-ray. Can't wait to watch it again.

Tick of the Clock and A Real Hero are pretty much the best songs ever.

Yep. Listen to A Real Hero whilst walking around the supermarket. It's strangely fitting.

Also, the bluray is only 11.99 in Morrisons at the moment if anyone is interested.

Well just finished it. Very refreshing from the normal hollywood crap, wish i'd have caught it in the cinema. Some parts made my hairs stand on end...

absolutely loved the shot of him standing over the rocks after he flipped Nino's car over. The mask made it really work

Brill soundtrack too. Highly recommended

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this last night.

Shit, that was good.

Such a tense film. A similar tenseness to Punch Drunk Love*, but without the cheap trick of forcing it on you with a constant nausea enducing throbbing soundtrack (which would have made The Care Bears Movie seem tense).

Really quite blown away. Like the woman suing due to the trailer, not what I was expecting. I'd kind of dismissed it, as I assumed it was going to be like The Transporter (which I admittedly quite enjoyed, but on an entirely different level). In the end I watched it because I just kept hearing people refer to it as one of their films of the year. I still kind of expected it just to be like The Transporter, but really good.

I'm already regretting renting, rather than buying, this one. May watch it again today, before my 24 hours are up.

I even managed to feel comfortable with Gosling in the role, despite his strangely comical face (which may even have added to the role), and with the fact that Ron Perlman confusingly looks, to me, like Ted Danson in prosthetic makeup (I actually watched the whole of Hellboy thinking it was Ted Danson in prosthetic make-up, and it wasn't until afterwards, when looking something up about the film on IMDB, that I discovered it wasn't).

Also Carey Mulligan AND Christina Hendricks. :wub:

* When it comes to Punch Drunk Love, I'm a hater who's going to hate.