IGNORED

Uncommon/ rare-ish Retro games worth their value

MikeBeaver

Ok, so we have the thread for rare games you own, but what about one's that are sometimes perceived as rare (even if they are uncommon as mentioned elsewhere) but are at a reasonable price for the amount of enjoyment / time you get out of them.

I'll start with "Stubbs the Zombie" not sure on how rare it actually is, but it's quite a fun game that I think kind of got over looked originally on the Xbox (at least by me anyway).

Normally see it anywhere between £10 - £18 on evilbay, prices inbetween this seem fair as I certainly got my £15's worth of entertainment out of it.

Sorry if there is something similar, did have a look but didn't see anything.

Discuss...

Ok, so we have the thread for rare games you own, but what about one's that are sometimes perceived as rare (even if they are uncommon as mentioned elsewhere) but are at a reasonable price for the amount of enjoyment / time you get out of them.

I'll start with "Stubbs the Zombie" not sure on how rare it actually is, but it's quite a fun game that I think kind of got over looked originally on the Xbox (at least by me anyway).

Normally see it anywhere between £10 - £18 on evilbay, prices inbetween this seem fair as I certainly got my £15's worth of entertainment out of it.

Sorry if there is something similar, did have a look but didn't see anything.

Discuss...

Halo engine, isn't it? Which is why it's on the 360 BC list. Which is why it's "desirable".

Halo engine, isn't it? Which is why it's on the 360 BC list. Which is why it's "desirable".

Yep, on both counts, but it is also enjoyable and I think at a fair (not over priced) cost for what it is, that's what I was getting at.

Things like Rez(dc) are often over priced on certain consoles even though newer versions are available, plus obviously there is emultion, but there is deffinetly something about owning a nice boxed game, but a lot of my collection I have bought for that very reason just to collect, I hoping to find games that are, I don't know, good enough to command a price high enough to keep the traders from making any money buy buying them all up, but cheap enough so that you don't feel the need to get rid of it once finished.

contrastly anything thats classed as a shmup gets its price automatically hiked up in price regardless of rarity,. Last Hope and Dux are already £30 to £40. Actually who sets the prices for 'rare' games?

the people paying.

contrastly anything thats classed as a shmup gets its price automatically hiked up in price regardless of rarity,. Last Hope and Dux are already £30 to £40. Actually who sets the prices for 'rare' games?

But they were released at that price in fairly limited quantities, and original buyers would have been DC and Shmup fans. Why would they decrease in value?

It's the games like Panzer Dragoon Saga (Not really thatrare, albeit very good game, that are overpriced!

GViper, Thats the thing though, PDS, Chrono Trigger etc are all not really rare, just desireable as mentioned, which does push the price up, but that price is (in my opinion) too high for what it is, I guess what I'm trying to find are games that are good value, i.e fun to play through but also cheap enough that your not tempted to sell them, thus meaning you can go back to them every now and again if you so wish :)

Thats an overly simplistic view, and not necessarily the case.

Most of the ps2 shmups released in the pal region are pretty cheap (like a fiver), Homura and Raiden III being two of the few exceptions as they were released on the quiet and most web shops didn't even sell them, never mind bricks and mortars. On ps1, shmups released in Europe in the early days were always low print runs especially considering the smaller customer base, and towards the end enough that they can be found cheaply (see:Strikers 1945 II)

On the DC it's a collectors market, it's the only reason aside from the cost of porting that the Naomi shmups were still being released on DC. The games were sold direct to customers and so could be given precise print runs and then be reprinted if there was demand (see: Border Down). they weren't particularly cheap. For similar reasons this is why the "homebrew" efforts fetch highish prices, there is demand.

Prices are determined by whoever pays the price that's asked or throws money at someone on eBay. Once that happens enou you get a typical price. I've noticed this with PCBs. Some games started off at cheapish prices, but then someone puts one up for sale for a higher cost and someone throws money at it. That then becomes a guide for when the next one shows up, once another one or two come up at a similar price you get a typical price that may last for a long time, ,or just a few weeks. Ibara (pcb) has gained an average 33% over two years ago when there was little to no demand. Console games generally work the same, but some get their prices by word of mouth rather than anythingi else, hence why people try to sell relatively common games as rare/inflated prices.

There's not even a PAL copy of Homura on ebay!

I bought a host of PS2 shmups a couple of years ago for cheap (gigawing generations, homura, raiden etc.). They didn't appear to be silly rare at the time to be honest. Homura especially. There were plenty on ebay for sub £10. Gigawing generations and raiden were slightly harder to come by. The prices now are crazy.

GViper, Thats the thing though, PDS, Chrono Trigger etc are all not really rare, just desireable as mentioned, which does push the price up, but that price is (in my opinion) too high for what it is, I guess what I'm trying to find are games that are good value, i.e fun to play through but also cheap enough that your not tempted to sell them, thus meaning you can go back to them every now and again if you so wish :)

Zone of the Enders 2?

Goes for more than the average price of a second hand PS2 game from what I've seen, certainly alot more than its predecessor (although that fetches a semi decent price from what I understand if it has the MGS2 demo).

Thats an overly simplistic view, and not necessarily the case.

Most of the ps2 shmups released in the pal region are pretty cheap (like a fiver), Homura and Raiden III being two of the few exceptions as they were released on the quiet and most web shops didn't even sell them, never mind bricks and mortars. On ps1, shmups released in Europe in the early days were always low print runs especially considering the smaller customer base, and towards the end enough that they can be found cheaply (see:Strikers 1945 II)

On the DC it's a collectors market, it's the only reason aside from the cost of porting that the Naomi shmups were still being released on DC. The games were sold direct to customers and so could be given precise print runs and then be reprinted if there was demand (see: Border Down). they weren't particularly cheap. For similar reasons this is why the "homebrew" efforts fetch highish prices, there is demand.

Prices are determined by whoever pays the price that's asked or throws money at someone on eBay. Once that happens enou you get a typical price. I've noticed this with PCBs. Some games started off at cheapish prices, but then someone puts one up for sale for a higher cost and someone throws money at it. That then becomes a guide for when the next one shows up, once another one or two come up at a similar price you get a typical price that may last for a long time, ,or just a few weeks. Ibara (pcb) has gained an average 33% over two years ago when there was little to no demand. Console games generally work the same, but some get their prices by word of mouth rather than anythingi else, hence why people try to sell relatively common games as rare/inflated prices.

Pal verisons are much less desirable than their ntsc-j counterparts. 60hz, pretty boxart, and many collectors obsession with the orient mean that jap games are more sought after. So yeah, when i was talking shmups i was referring mainly to the ntsc-j versions. Which is waaaay overpriced, its harder to get a decent deal now that ebay is shit for retro (hell they don't even list retro systems on ebay anymore, they are just all slumped under 'other'), where once the likes of genki and videogameimports used to be an expensive option if you're desperate their prices are now the norm as sellers are sticking items on 'bin' that reflect which they see as the going price because of what the the importers are setting them at. So the prices are very artificial, if videogameimports.com decide to mark a certain game up 20% then they rest of the market will probably follow suit soon after. As long as there is someone willing to pay the price then it won't come down. Strangely enough the economic collapse and live arcade hasn't seemed to affect the retro market as much as it should have done

yeah, the retro market is interesting at the moment. It certainly has far less apparent momentum than normal but the high end is still reasonably active.

I think the effect of the financial climate and the rising costs of postage have made selling a lot of retro items individually just not worth it.

yeah, the retro market is interesting at the moment. It certainly has far less apparent momentum than normal but the high end is still reasonably active.

I think the effect of the financial climate and the rising costs of postage have made selling a lot of retro items individually just not worth it.

aka they're waiting for the prices to go back up when people have the money to pay... high prices.

capitalism, yay!

I tend to be quite sceptical about the "r@re" preowned market in general. I generally don't find a preowned game to be "valuable" or "desirable" unless it can at least command a bit more than its original retail value. People talk about titles like Guardian Heroes but even a good condition title tended to cost around £30-40, which is what it sold for new anyway.

I bought a host of PS2 shmups a couple of years ago for cheap (gigawing generations, homura, raiden etc.). They didn't appear to be silly rare at the time to be honest. Homura especially. There were plenty on ebay for sub £10. Gigawing generations and raiden were slightly harder to come by. The prices now are crazy.

I picked up Homura for a tenner or less from Play I think, maybe Amazon a couple of years back. Really good shooter.

Not sure where else to post this, and I realise its not a game but... I found one of these Dreamcast VMU/Wrist Strap thing up the loft recently (still perfectly sealed)..

other_wrist_band.jpg

Its came as a freebie with my launch first edition Jap Dreamcast (the one that was weirdly plastered with the Sega Directors photo), to which I also still have the DC Orange Box.

dc_unit_orange1.gif

Alas the actual machine that went with it died many moons ago..So its got a PAL machine living in it now :(

Anyway did a quick scan of ebay and cant see any of these thingys being sold recently (doesnt help as I dont know what description it would have been sold under).. I figure it may be collectible but really have no idea.

This youtube vid seems to sum up my knowledge perfectly :)

Spot on there

And alot of collectors now realising they dont even play half their games, generating the response "do I really want that?"