rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Dimahoo

Project CARS (Slightly Mad Studios) / NAMCO Bandai

I've still got my crusty G25, it's about 6 years old now but still as good as the day I bought it. :lol: Best £150 odd I ever spent. I was always tempted to upgrade to a Fanatec but I remember them having some problems with the belts when they launched and I sort of got put off by them. They're meant to be pretty great though.

I want to buy a seat or frame thing for my pedals/wheels though as I'm playing on a swivel office chair at the moment so it's not exactly ideal. :P

I've still got my crusty G25, it's about 6 years old now but still as good as the day I bought it. :lol:

And even my £90 Driving Force GT is as good as the day I got it and has got me through GT5, GT6 and 4 years of iRacing including 400 miles round Pocono and 300 miles round Charlotte.

The only thing about the DFGT that sucks is the "gear change" paddles which are tiny. Normally not an issue once you know but made the Red Bull single seater events in GT6 very tricky.

So with a combination of reading bits of this thread and the Assetto Corsa one and watching some vids of R Factor, iRacing, etc on YouTube and liking what I see and feeling my mediocre talents are being wasted getting constantly rammed by drivatars :P I'm becoming increasingly tempted to give this PC sim racing thing a try. What sort of budget would I be looking at for wanting to get a PC that'll run these things nicely?

Well bud...i'd suggest you ask in the PC thread as i'm out of touch now (i built my machine about a year ago or something - i'm running a i3570k processor with a GTX670 CUii and 8GB ram)

Graphically you want to be pushing a machine that'll output 1080x1920 res with 4x MSAA and 8 x Ansioscopic at around 60fps with a grid of 15 cars (that'll roughly match an PS4 or Xbone console).

pCARS, Rfactor 2 and AC require that to look and play anything like good on a 42" - iRacing doesn't need as much as its older tech.

Whereas I'm running a first gen i7-950 and an old GTX 460 and I still have no problems at 1080P. I'm possibly not getting full shinies but most of these scale surprisingly well. I'm usually in triple digit framerates on iRacing and AC and PCars seem to run nicely in 1080P.

yeah they do look a little on the small side - just managed to find an old driving force wheel for sale near me for a tenner but even as a beginner I suspect they won't be much good.

I keep dabating getting a couple of lollysticks and gluing one each side to create a proper sized paddle.

Cool, ta. Will probably be a couple of months or so before I get round to sorting something out. Need to do some other stuff and will want to get some overtime in at work to help pay for it first. Will ask in there for advice nearer the time.

In the meantime I spotted a DFGT wheel in shop near me for £60 and if the box is any guide to the condition of the wheel itself then it should be perfect. Tempted to pick that up now and give it a try on GT6 as I can't bring myself to get stuck into that on the Dualshock pad.

If you can afford it, do it, the DFGT is a very fine entry wheel and you won't likely come close to that price elsewhere.

And yes, it's beautiful on GT6 but even better, how much you think that feels better than a pad on a game you like will determine if it's worth you going the whole hog.

I'll jump onto GT6 Meatball if you want to hook up. We've not had any proper events yet bar a night or two.

In the meantime....i'm off to play GSC Extreme. Right up there with AC and RF2 in my book.

Cool, ta. Will probably be a couple of months or so before I get round to sorting something out. Need to do some other stuff and will want to get some overtime in at work to help pay for it first. Will ask in there for advice nearer the time.

In the meantime I spotted a DFGT wheel in shop near me for £60 and if the box is any guide to the condition of the wheel itself then it should be perfect. Tempted to pick that up now and give it a try on GT6 as I can't bring myself to get stuck into that on the Dualshock pad.

If you don't get it Meatball, where is it you live? I've been after a decent entry level wheel for a while but haven't come across anything cheap as yet.

The only thing about the DFGT that sucks is the "gear change" paddles which are tiny. Normally not an issue once you know but made the Red Bull single seater events in GT6 very tricky.

You want to buy one of these

Definitely worth the purchase http://granturgismo.com/buypaddles.html I've had mind for years and never had a problem once.

• Upvote 1

Here's a 1080p lap or so of Silverstone during rain from late afternoon (see clock) until night at 240x in Audi R10's.....apologies for the driving which sends me wide quite a bit but cars are in unfinished state.

See through A pillar!! Looks good though (the game, not your driving obvs ;)).

If you can afford it, do it, the DFGT is a very fine entry wheel and you won't likely come close to that price elsewhere.

And yes, it's beautiful on GT6 but even better, how much you think that feels better than a pad on a game you like will determine if it's worth you going the whole hog.

Yeah, I can imagine. I played GT3/4 pretty extensively on my Joytech Williams F1 wheel and though it's probably shitty compared to these Fanatec's and the like I thought it was great at the time. Plus I have some credit from trading in my old fatty PS3 and I been looking for something to spend it on, so a wheel would be great use of it.

I'll jump onto GT6 Meatball if you want to hook up. We've not had any proper events yet bar a night or two.

Yes for sure once I'm set up and had some practice and up to speed.

If you don't get it Meatball, where is it you live? I've been after a decent entry level wheel for a while but haven't come across anything cheap as yet.

Seems to be a lot in stock on the CEX website at £60 + £2.50 delivery.

Aye, it's just in a local CEX I saw it. Will go check it out on the weekend and get it if it's in good nick. Looking on their site the Oldham store is showing 3 in stock, so I can hop on the tram up there for nowt if this local one is crappy and check them out.