Meanwhile, Eurogamer has heard an open world driving game called Forza World is in development at UK developer Playground Games, helmed by ex-Codemasters racing studio executive producer Gavin Raeburn.

Raeburn's LinkedIn profile reveals he's "working on an unannounced AAA title for a major publisher". During his time at Codemasters he helped reboot the Dirt and Grid series.

Eurogamer

Weve not even got Forza 4 yet and theres already talk of another game in the franchise?

Gavin Raeburn is a programming GOD Joe.

He did simulators when you were still in nappies.

Skateboard simulator for one.

And Laser Force.

And the fucking Equaliser. The best Wonderboy clone ever. You reading Gavin?

I loved you for that.

Instant buy for me based on that game alone. Even if it is a platformer.

I'm intrgued to know how this will work.

I would imagine to retain the level of detail Forza 3 or 4 would have you wouldn't be able to do a large world, rather, a world, with sections available to race - much like NFS HP.

Anyway, E3 is gonna rock this year. Really looking forward to it.

I'm intrgued to know how this will work.

Well, it sounds rather simple to me really: A TDU-type open world with Forza physics and stuff in it.

On the next-gen Xbox hardware as a launch title.

My theory is based on current tech, although i'd love for their to be a new console announcement as i've harked on about the last 7 days or so.

My theory also assumes Forza 3 or 4 styles of graphics, which means in won't be like TDU2 - assuming it uses existing Turn 10 tech.

Don't get me wrong, I love open world games, and driving about and exploring an open world is great. But I don't like racing where you have to find the route yourself. I thought Burnout Paradise really suffered because of it, I can't really remember if TDU had fixed circuits though, it's been a long time. I like learning tracks but not by staring at a map to find out which way I have to take.

I reckon it won't be a pure racer though. I can see them going for the Top Gear viewers with adventures and challenges. It'll be all about going for epic journey's through varied landscapes whilst drooling over the cars.

Forza 4 will have a masses of Top Gear cross-over appeal and I reckon this will just take it further.

The most we'll get at E3 will be a teaser trailer which reveals next to nothing though. Turn10 will be concentrating on Forza4 and probably reluctant to over shadow that with any talk of FW.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to see this game until 2013 at the earliest.

They are using Forza as the brand for now to get the 'hardcore' racers interested. They will then announce this as Top Gear the Game.

Using the controller, players drive around lush open worlds to create video packages of the worlds best cars, while meeting challenges along the way (beat the Stig's best time, Beat Hammond using James May to your destination, get a sunset shot of all three cars, etc). Then using Kinect, players will present segments, as the Kinect technology puts you in the game. Over Xbox Live upto THREE players can present a segment. Hit the cues to get points.

Microsoft finally listened and made a game JUST for Meers, Dimahoo and Joe ;)

We make great videogames for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

We've been making games for other people for over 20 years, and in 2009 we set up Playground Games to make them for ourselves.

Our vision is to build a world class development studio by attracting the most talented game developers available, and making the best games possible.

Simple really.

We're currently ramping up our team to begin pre-production on our first project. If you want to be part of it, we have lots of opportunities in our Careers section.

SENIOR ONLINE ENGINEER

PG 009

Working at senior level in a team of online engineers, you will be responsible for implementation of a broad range of online systems within the game. Engineers with in-depth knowledge of online implementations on current-gen consoles are ideal for this role, as you will use your skills to provide a robust multiplayer experience. You must be able to work closely with designers to realise their vision. You are highly motivated and approachable, with a strong desire to succeed.

You should have:

Experience of working on published titles on current-gen consoles

Strong C++ and software architecture skills

Detailed knowledge of online APIs and network architecture on current-gen consoles

Excellent communication skills

A passion for games

Desirable skills:

Experience of mentoring and coaching junior engineers

Experience of console online server platforms

Experience of developing web services

This is an opportunity to join a highly experienced team at an early stage of development and define the processes and technology direction for the company. It provides exciting new challenges for established developers looking to further their career.

http://www.playground-games.com/

Nothing much to go on there. Based on that though this game is years away. E3 kicks off 3 weeks today so the rumours, leaks and bullplop should start flowing fairly soon.

I reckon it won't be a pure racer though. I can see them going for the Top Gear viewers with adventures and challenges. It'll be all about going for epic journey's through varied landscapes whilst drooling over the cars.

Forza 4 will have a masses of Top Gear cross-over appeal and I reckon this will just take it further.

The most we'll get at E3 will be a teaser trailer which reveals next to nothing though. Turn10 will be concentrating on Forza4 and probably reluctant to over shadow that with any talk of FW.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to see this game until 2013 at the earliest.

That's actually even better than I imagined it.

• 10 months later...

Cheers Meers

work.1909433.5.flat,550x550,075,f.jack-daniels-racing-perkins-pretty.jpg

Dan Greenawalt believes all studios involved will benefit.

forza4article.jpg

Turn 10 and Microsoft are taking a risk with Forza: Horizon, but Forza director Dan Greenawalt believes such risks are needed to meet the vision for the franchise.

Horizon is in the hands of Playground Games, which features the "core group" behind the Codemasters Racing Studio team that worked on establishing series including DiRT and GRID.

"Of course it's a risk," Greenawalt told VideoGamer.com. "We have developed a team and a process and a vision that has been all done internally, and we've had great success. Four products in eight years, good scores, good sales, and we've been building our momentum as a franchise."

However, Greenawalt believes more can be achieved.

"The vision we have is very ambitious - gamers into car lovers, and car loves into gamers. It's a trite statement, but what it represents for our team is actually a very ambitious goal. To really make a difference in car culture, and really make a difference in gaming culture. Preferably both.

"To me it's not about competition with them. Having a colleague I trust to help me climb Everest, that's what I want. The next question is, do I trust them? There's of course risk. But I do trust their pedigree. Some of the best racing games in the last twenty years have come out of that post-Psygnosis fracturing and reconvening of the UK racing game development studios, and that's Black Rock, and Slightly Mad, and Bizarre Creations, and even Criterion. There's a whole lot of these great racing game developers [in the UK], and the talent [Playground Games] has attracted and distilled down into this team gives me great faith."

Greenawalt also made it clear that Horizon isn't Turn 10 or Microsoft's concept given to Playground Games, but the idea of Playground Games which they have been allowed to run with.

"We didn't say 'hey you guys should make a game like this', it was their vision. It was theirs. And they had embraced our franchise vision and made sure their vision aligned to the greater franchise good," explained Greenawalt. "And that just develops faith, right? I hear that sort of rhetoric from them and see that pedigree and I go 'I think I can trust you to help me climb Everest'.

"This is a complete sharing thing. Obviously they're going to be benefiting from us, and we're going to be benefiting from them. DiRT's a fantastic game, and it was a lot of creativity that went into refactoring Colin McRae into DiRT. Some people were miffed about the change to Colin McRae, some people were brought into the franchise because of the changes. They showed the ability to take great risk, there's tremendous innovation in things like rewind.

"I see this very much as a sharing thing, and their great ideas will come back into the internal Turn 10 development, and the internal Turn 10 development will be going into Playground Games."

The game's set for release this autumn.