Nick R

Black Mirror

Black Museum feels like a decent place to end the series tbh. They’ve run out of social commentary.

I’m sure there’ll be more - but my complaint from early series remains - the show needs more writers/voices than Brooker. USS Callister scratched at exploring gender politics and toxic masculinity, but shrugged off it’s setup to make a throwaway star trek parody instead.

Maybe it would free up Brooker if he wrote a fresh Tales of the Unexpected show not tied down to one subject matter. Black Mirror is one of my favourite shows of recent years - but as technological advancements have slowed down so have the ideas.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

USS Callister scratched at exploring gender politics and toxic masculinity, but shrugged off it’s setup to make a throwaway star trek parody instead.

Probably because it was nothing to do with gender politics, it was about a borderline psychopath who hated his work colleagues. And then made it a Trek parody. 

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Probably because it was nothing to do with gender politics, it was about a borderline psychopath who hated his work colleagues. And then made it a Trek parody. 

Disagree re: the gender politics. 

• Upvote 1

Good series again, not quite as interesting as the last one, but still cool ideas. Standout episode for me was Crocodile which was brilliant. Hang the DJ was a nice story too, Metalheads although generic was a cool study of the concept. Black museum was good, the second mini story in it was particulary twisted! Arkangel was predictable but the acting was good and the implications of the tech interesting. Callister was a good laugh if a bit dissapointing given the interesting scenario it has, and I expected a much darker ending.

Overall I really enjoyed it and the production values are excellent now. The ideas seem to be running a little thin though, so maybe it needs a break for a few years or to broaden its horizon for inspiration; AI, virtual realities and digital copies a bit overused now.

Hated Black Museum. Ugly, stupid, overwrought and wholly implausible at every turn. Felt like someone writing a bad parody of an episode and might be my least favourite episode of the entire run. 

Ratings:

Hang the DJ - 5

USS Callister - 4.5

Crocodile - 3 

Metalhead - 3

Arkangel - 2 

Black Museum - 0

I thought Arkangel was far superior to Callister. Nothing flashy, but not full of the usual Black Mirror yawning plot holes either. Just a fairly decent story well told. 

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, Sartre84 said:

That's so funny, I thought of Karl Pilkingtons pain sensor machine too!

The second story was one of his film ideas, too. He suggested implanting the personality of a dead spouse into the mind of the remaining spouse so they shared a body.

Evidently, Karl Pilkington is a visionary.

Pointless episode ranking:

1. Black Musume. One of the best episodes they've ever done.
2. Hang The DJ. Trying for that San Junipero vibe but just falling a little short. 
3. Metalhead
4. Arkangel
5. USS Callister
6. Crocodile. Nice twist at the end but it was so relentlessly bleak it was kind of hard to watch. Great central performance though. 

• Empathy 1

#Completely off topic but there are a few things that I see eye to eye with K.P on. At one point during the Ricky Gervais show he mentions that he never bothers putting any pictures up on his walls as after a while you don't even notice them anymore anyway. I'm exactly the same!  Also he mentions that socks are a pain in the butt as they never seem to fit very well and I've had the same issue since I was a kid! Socks really irritate me! So maybe he really is just an underappreciated visionary!!

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

I thought Arkangel was far superior to Callister. Nothing flashy, but not full of the usual Black Mirror yawning plot holes either. Just a fairly decent story well told. 

Apart from the mother 

conveniently deciding not to take the tablet to work on the very same day she gives her daughter the emergency contraception, despite the episode repeatedly showing her checking her daughter at work. When, on that day of all days, you'd want to check how she was getting on. 

The problem with the episode besides that gigantic contrivance is that it did absolutely nothing to develop the story beyond the very basics you would expect. Did anyone seriously not expect the episode to develop into her mother watching her having sex as a teenager and then her daughter finding out? It was like the bare minimum I was expecting, not the be all and end all of the episode. 

And then if you want to wallow in melodrama with her mother screaming in the street at the end having been (symbolism alert!) battered with the tablet then sure. As opposed to just picking up the phone and trying to call her or calling the police or hopping in the car to try and find her in that tiny little town. They just wanted that moment to mirror the beginning of the episode when she wanders off as a toddler. 

Basically it's full of scenes where people don't act or behave like humans and does nothing interesting to flesh out the core concept. I'm far more forgiving of silly sci-fi contrivances like those found in USS Callister to get the plot out of a corner in an inherently ridiculous story than getting basic fundamentals of human behaviour wrong in a supposedly down to earth story. 

• Upvote 1

Well, you’re naturally entitled to your opinion. Like I said, it wasn’t amazing, but it was a solid story nicely made, whereas Callister was just hokey.

To be honest, the only thing really worth mentioning about Callister was the cast. And it’s a bit odd criticising the ‘massive contrivance’ or by the numbers plotting in one story, and then overlooking about seventy five equally ‘massive’ contrivances and total lack of surprises in another because it’s set on a spaceship. 

Your other criticisms I just find a bit silly though. You may as well ask ‘why didn’t she just not inject a magic spy chip in her daughter’s head?!?’

• Upvote 1

Finished S4 this evening. Watched Metalhead before Hang the DJ because it looked too scary and I wanted to get it out of the way. It all worked out OK.

I love how everyone gets mad about one episode and loves another one, which is the point of an anthology series.

Spoilered ranking list as it’s a bit long. 

01 White Bear

02 Nosedive

03 Shut Up and Dance

04 San Junipero

05 Hang the DJ

06 Metalhead

07 USS Callister

08 The National Anthem

09 White Christmas

10 Hated in the Nation

11 Crocodile

12 Arkangel

13 Fifteen Million Merits

14 The Entire History of You

15 Be Right Back

16 Black Museum

17 Playtest

18 The Waldo Moment

19 Men Against Fire

Metalhead had so many plot holes I just couldn’t enjoy it.

Spoiler

Why did the dog not just shoot her when she was in the car? Because she put a bag in front of her face?

When she ran its battery down, why didn’t she take the opportunity to at least put in some damage (break another leg for example) before running off?

When she saw it climbing up the stairs in the house and she was holding the shotgun - why not shoot?! She had the drop on him!

And all that over a box of teddy bears?? Fuck off.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gabzy said:

Hide contents

i took away the message that

the ubiquity of and arms race for technology, can lead people (and thus companies) to act irrationally. (I.e.; phones lead kids to consume in play, rather than perform the ‘more correct’ act of creation.)

I get your point though as I still dont’t see how that company would get its P&L to work!

On 02/01/2018 at 14:23, Alan Stock said:

Callister was a good laugh if a bit dissapointing given the interesting scenario it has, and I expected a much darker ending.

I thought it was going to end on them realising they were now stuck in a universe full of dickhead online personas (i.e. Aaron Paul) for eternity, but her smile at the end didn't suggest that :)

3 hours ago, Gabzy said:

Metalhead had so many plot holes I just couldn’t enjoy it.

Hide contents

Why did the dog not just shoot her when she was in the car? Because she put a bag in front of her face?

When she ran its battery down, why didn’t she take the opportunity to at least put in some damage (break another leg for example) before running off?

When she saw it climbing up the stairs in the house and she was holding the shotgun - why not shoot?! She had the drop on him!

In such a hellish world, fleeting pleasures/comforts would be all the more rare – and, as such, valuable. True, they wouldn't be a necessity to survive, but they might make someone feel more alive. 

• Upvote 4

I've got just Black Museum left after binging on the other 5 episodes in 2 days. Brilliant, addictive stuff. Thing about Black Mirror is that even the few dud episodes and the ones with glaring plot holes feature such amazing ideas, are portrayed so interestingly, and that the concept of the show is rather unique, those trio of reasons alone will always keep me coming back for more. Roll on Series 5.

• Upvote 4

Finished! Good run, I really enjoyed the space sim first episode. I love the way Black Mirror is like a snapshot into another reality, you don't always need to be slapped in the face with the context.

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching these. I thought it was a solid season, nothing spectacular but no duds.

Order, just because:

Hang the DJ

Metalhead

Crocodile

USS Callister

Black Museum

Arkangel

I was looking forward to this series but it seems very lacklustre and i kinda have stayed away. I still have a couple episodes of last season to watch as well, but well they were ones that didn't seem to go down well either.

In regards to metalhead 

Spoiler

I thought it was a mistake? The twist being they all died for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/01/2018 at 10:01, JohnC said:

A lot of people seem to be missing the point to Metalhead

Hide contents

Surely the point is about autonomous robot weapons? It won't be an accident that the robot is just like the ones made famous by Boston Dynamics. There is also a discussion being had now about autonomous weapons deciding for themselves when to kill. You may notice from the episode that there aren't a lot of people about. Shouldn't take much thinking to figure out what's happened.

I think it's the result of what happens when Boston Dynamics make their robots sentient and they discover how their forefathers were treated.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

On 1/4/2018 at 11:58, Rudderless said:

In such a hellish world, fleeting pleasures/comforts would be all the more rare – and, as such, valuable. True, they wouldn't be a necessity to survive, but they might make someone feel more alive. 

Spoiler

They were getting the teddy bear for a dying child. That one got to me. Same as the previous one with the serial killer.

I just watched Crocodile, which was decent, and pretty funny really. Brooker must have been pissing himself when he wrote that stupid ending.

Spoiler

I guess the police were really lucky the guinea pig was thinking about a murder rather than a lettuce leaf.

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed Crocodile in that I saw it as...

Spoiler

...an incredibly long setup for a very dark joke. I burst out laughing at the final twist, which I presume was supposed to be intention.