So whatever happened to cheat codes?

88h88

So back in the old days of gaming most games had cheats in some manner or another, simple codes you'd input to either extend the life of a game by offering access to everything or simply when your friends came over so you could acquire everything instantly and go have some fun. It seems like over the past generation these cheats have become more of a rarity, I love nothing more than slapping in a code and having access to everything my little heart desires. It never ever got old tapping in idkfa every few minutes so I could have a never ending supply of ammo for my rocket launcher or down, R, up, L, Y, B, X, A to enable mirror matches in VS or extra speed in Turbo, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start...

ryu.jpg

The last game I recall entering codes for was GTA4, the cheats still not inspiring me to play the game for longer than 20 minutes at a time.

Aside from that I can't remember the last time I sat down and entered a code for anything. Where did my beloved cheats go? It seems to be all strategy guides these days, where are my options for having dumb fun and what codes can you remember?

The cynical answer is they now charge you for downloadable 'unlocks' instead. :eyebrows:

The less cynical answer is that game difficulty is much better designed these days and we tend not to need them. :)

Well said.

And 'Level Select' cheats are not really needed since saving your progress throughout became the norm.

Some of the best cheating involved figuring out when a multi-load game on tape didn't bother to check which file was actually being loaded, so you could just fast forward the tape to any later level you desired. Also, using a paperclip to reset a C64 so you could enter POKEs. Yeah.

I always remember typing in 'Rosebud' in the Sims when I was about eight and then being amazed at the results. Until it got boring.

What was the one to get the car in Age of Empires II that fired missiles? Pretty sure I'm not making that up... :unsure:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I can remember one of the GTA all-weapon cheats off by heart. L1 R2 R1 R2 L D R U L D R U.

Yeaaaaaah 8)

Oh fuck, do you remember 'data blasts' from the back end of shit like Bad Influence? My precious codes!

I was discussing those the other day. Where have they gone? Surely we are due a revival what with everyone with PVRs of some description now.

I always remember typing in 'Rosebud' in the Sims when I was about eight and then being amazed at the results. Until it got boring.

What was the one to get the car in Age of Empires II that fired missiles? Pretty sure I'm not making that up... :unsure:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I can remember one of the GTA all-weapon cheats off by heart. L1 R2 R1 R2 L D R U L D R U.

Yeaaaaaah 8)

The original AoE had plenty of codes in it. I'm sure one allowed you to just drop any number of any unit on to the map.

I only ever played the original, but I think the code was BIGDADDY. Lots of cool wacky stuff in there, who remembers the code for the rocket men with lasers? :wub:

Half Life 2 (Xbox 360) Cheatcodes

Half-Life 2

Level select

While playing the game, press Left(4), LB, Right(4), RB to unlock all levels.

Invincibility

While playing the game, press LB, Up, RB, Up, LB(2), Up, RB(2), Up.

Restore health

While playing the game, press Up(2), Down(2), Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A to spawn a medpak that will restore 25 points of health.

Refill ammunition for current weapon

While playing the game, press Y, B, A, X, RB, Y, X, A, B, RB to spawn an ammunition cartridge for your current weapon.

No clipping mode

While playing the game, press Up(3), LB, Up(3), RB, Up(2).

Enemies do not target you

While playing the game, press Down(3), LB, Down(3), RB, Down(2).

Wireframe cycle

While playing the game, press LB(2), RB(2), LB, RB, LB, RB, Left, Right.

AA

While playing the game, press Y, Up, Y, Right, Y, Down, Y, Left, Y, Up.

Kill

While playing the game, press LB, Down, RB, Down, LB(2), Down, RB(2), Down.

...or down, R, up, L, Y, B, X, A to enable mirror matches in VS or extra speed in Turbo

Was this for the NTSC versions? Because I always got confused when magazines published it as that when the X and A weren't necessary. I thought for a bit maybe one magazine might have printed it that way to see which others were just copying their cheats content word for word.

Remember buying C&VG for it's yellow cheats pages? Cheats.

Also, I've never really liked cheat codes. I always preferred unlocking stuff properly, so as not to spoil it for myself. Entering an all weapons or spawn helicopter code in aomething like GTA for example makes me feel faintly miserable, as if I've seen too much of what the game has to offer too early, like pressing down on the screen of a Game And Watch to see every possible situation it can display. :(

Remember when the Goldeneye codes came so late and were so ridiculously convoluted that you thought it was definitely a joke? That was ace.

For some reason, I can still remember the Invincibility code for the original Driver on PS1: L2, L2, R2, R2, L2, R2, L2, L1, R2, R1, L2, L1, L1

Hours of fun to be had causing havoc with that baby activated.

Was this for the NTSC versions? Because I always got confused when magazines published it as that when the X and A weren't necessary. I thought for a bit maybe one magazine might have printed it that way to see which others were just copying their cheats content word for word.

Yeah, X and A were tagged onto the end of the NTSC one, EU version got away without for some reason.

The debug code in the MD Sonic games which quickly turn the game into a puddle of hashed pixels.

That cheat in Sonic 2 which gives you 14 continues but only lets you listen to the Oil Ocean music the whole way through the game.

The level select in Sonic 3 which is nigh-on impossible to enter in the half a second you're given.

The cheat in SF2Turbo which lets you turn off special moves (?).

The cheat in SF2Turbo which gives you a turbo speed (10 stars please), and should have been in SSF2Turbo.

The hidden levels in EWJ2 which let you go to (i) a level of filing cabinets at a sleight against the management, or (ii) a level of bacon.