Left 4 Dead 3

elmo

Sorry, but after completing Portal 2 i just can't stop thinking about Valve's next Zombie game and with E3 around the corner I have to say that I would be massively dissapointed if Valve don't announce this bad boy.

If they do though, what would you expect? Loads more Special infected, or jsut a minor improvement but with a shit load of content?

God I hope they announce this.

I prefer L4D to L4D 2. The increase in weapons and infected seemed to dilute it for me, somehow. It's difficult to explain. Whatever, I'd be happy if they didn't release a L4D3 just because, personally, I have enough with what's out already.

Hrm. It sounds odd when I read it back...

I prefer L4D to L4D 2. The increase in weapons and infected seemed to dilute it for me, somehow. It's difficult to explain. Whatever, I'd be happy if they didn't release a L4D3 just because, personally, I have enough with what's out already.

I wasn't into L4D2 as much as the first for a while but then a few of us spent ages with it and going back to L4D1 is just awful. I mean, it's still a cracking game but the lack of Melee weapons makes a huge difference.

I don't know if I'd be up for this or not, as big a fan of L4D I am, I think I'd prefer it if they just came out with new Valve created campaigns for 2, especially now that we're getting a DLC with the rest of the L4D1 campaigns.

I don't know if I'd be up for this or not, as big a fan of L4D I am, I think I'd prefer it if they just came out with new Valve created campaigns for 2, especially now that we're getting a DLC with the rest of the L4D1 campaigns.

I think the problem is that the DLC packs have only contained 1 campaign. If they were to release 3/4 for left 4 dead 2 in one pack, that would keep me entertained for a while.

I wasn't into L4D2 as much as the first for a while but then a few of us spent ages with it and going back to L4D1 is just awful. I mean, it's still a cracking game but the lack of Melee weapons makes a huge difference.

I don't know about the console versions, but on the PC I think you can play all L4D2 maps in L4D1 and vice versa, including the charger/jockey/spitter and melee etc.

They won't announce it for a while, they'll do a load more DLC first. Midnight Riders etc. Add in all the custom campaigns (some of which are really good) and there's not much need for a sequel.

There was a good balance in the first game. Four weapons, four players, four special infected, four levels. Everything was simple and iconic. A shotgun, a machine gun, a rifle and a shotgun. It was just enough to keep the game fresh. However, by adding more weapons and more special infected, it became less than the sum of its added parts. All they needed to do was add more levels, whether as DLC or whatever, IMO.

There was a good balance in the first game. Four weapons, four players, four special infected, four levels. Everything was simple and iconic. A shotgun, a machine gun, a rifle and a shotgun. It was just enough to keep the game fresh. However, by adding more weapons and more special infected, it became less than the sum of its added parts. All they needed to do was add more levels, whether as DLC or whatever, IMO.

This

I played the first one to death, co-op, Versus, more Versus. Versus with good players on both teams was easily the most fun I've had on Xbox live. Hell even good team v shit team was entertaining if you were on the good team.

Never got on with #2 though, just felt bloated and incoherent, a bit like Iron Man 2 compared to Iron Man, where they just dialled everything up to 11.

To be fair I never really gave it a chance. All this talk of L4D makes me want to go back and play through some of the co-op missions again for old times sake :)

Yeah, it doesn't help that almost everything they added in L4D made the game worse, not better. The spitter ruined the 'huddled in the bathroom' moments, the jockey is a little too silly and breaks the immersion etc. The melee weapons are pretty good, but all the new consumables are throwaway additions. They had such a brilliant core concept that it could have careered through hundreds of DLC campaigns without mucking the balance. Instead, they fixed what wasn't broke and only served to dilute it in the process.

FYI this is me criticising Valve, enjoy it while it lasts!

Shall we have a 'Muk L4D2 replay one night soon? See if on retrospect, it plays better than we remember?

Bagsie Coach.

Valve would be silly not to continue this franchise. They have done an excellent job on LFD1 and LFD2 with the in-game story and the continued support with DLC for both games.

LFD3 is a natural step for this game franchise.

I am pretty sure they will be focusing on the Half-life franchise for now.. I know many fans of this franchise are wanting a natural continuation of the half-life IP.

With the rumour mill buzzing about the new Xbox.. Half-life 3 debut on the new xbox at E3 could be a solid bet..

RockStarJez out.

I never got into Left 4 Dead 2 in the same way I did Left 4 Dead. I played L4D1 regularly for the best part of a year, L4D2 barely a month. I have gone back to it on occasion, including the past week or so, and it is a good game but I think they messed the balance of things up and the tone didn't sit as well with me.

All the extra weapons are unnecessary and just reek of Valve trying to justify the sequel. The grenade launcher for example - useless. There's no point in having 4 different variations of shotgun. The melee weapons are too easy a crutch to fall back on when caught in a crowd. In L4D1, if you got covered in boomer bile or caught in a horde on your own, you were fucked unless your team mates helped out by shooting them. In L4D2 you can spin around while slashing your katana wildly and one hit kill them all. Then there's the fire bullets, the incendiary ammo - who would give up a first aid kit to lump those around with you? Every time I play the game people drop their first aid kit, pick up the special ammo, then immediately dump it on the floor and pick up their first aid kit. And it's effects are marginal and short-lived anyway. Then there's the muddying of the waters with boomer bile, adrenaline, defib units....it's just heaping more and more stuff on with little regard for need.

I much preferred the atmosphere and locales of L4D1. Maybe they were a bit too samey but they had this apocalyptic, creepy vibe to them, fighting through subways, forests, airports etc....by contrast fighting across rollercoasters, or to the tune of When The Saints Go Marching In, and fighting hordes to banjo music in broad daylight just doesn't has the same atmosphere. I didn't like the new characters as much either but it's harder for me to articulate why. I just though the chemistry amongst the original group was stronger and more believable, and Rochelle's scream when incapacitated is the most annoying thing ever.

The new special infected were a mixed bag. I actually think the Spitter was badly needed. People huddling in corners or small rooms as a group could make them almost invincible in L4D1. The Jockey and Charger brought good and bad. The Jockey is just a bit silly and belief-shattering; I know it's daft to say that in game full of boomers and witches and tanks but it just goes that bit too far for me. But the Jockey and Charger had a direct knock-on impact on the level design. They meant that you got less verticality and more flat, open levels, since they require that space to work properly and ledges and drops can be abused to easily by them. The geometry you navigate in L4D1 is typically more complex than L4D2. The hunter was great to play as in L4D1, trying to land a 20 point damage from the top of a building, but it's pretty boring in L4D2 because there just aren't many high places. And on the subject of the level design, boy did some of the gauntlet events get old fast.

Versus was where I spent most of my time in L4D1 but I didn't like a lot of the changes they made in L4D2. The respawn time was reduced which is a bad thing. It means the survivors are bombarded more constantly and it encourages people to try to run through the levels more than take their time; it's far more frantic and breathless and actually quite tiresome as a survivor. It feels like there's very little downtime. In L4D1 the good teams would know when to move and when to stay, when to explore and when to press on. In L4D2 you're nearly always better just pressing on because of the relentless infected assault. And the changes they made to the scoring encourage this. In L4D1, though scoring in versus was always a bit insignificant, you got a multiplier for keeping people alive, so it was genuinely worth trying to get everyone in the saferoom, and you could also make a huge difference if you kept your healthpack or surivived with high health. All L4D2 cares about is how far through the level you get, encouraging people to rush even more. In L4D1 there would be a huge difference in score between a team who got all 4 to the saferoom with green health compared to 2 in the saferoom with red health. In L4D2, the difference is very low.

Now L4D1 wasn't perfect. You could exploit many of the crescendo events, the infected were too reliant on the boomer in versus mode to cause chaos, the package was slim. But it many ways it felt more thought-out and considered and balanced than the sequel. Bits of L4D2 feel rushed as well, probably because of the short dev time. Dead Centre for example is a total disappointment. A Shopping Mall in L4D should be great but in this it's just a dull, featureless shell of a location that feels like it was knocked out in a few days. Hard Rain though, what a level. Multi-layered, intricate and bloody terrifying when the storm kicks in. A hint of what could have been if they hadn't spent all their time dialling the features, pace and wackiness up to 100 in the rest of the game.

I know this is a long post but man, I LOVED L4D1. Even after a year of playing it I would have rated it as one of my favourite games of the generation. Strangely the sequel put a dampener on the whole franchise for me. I do get tempted to go back and just play L4D1 but I doubt many people play it online now.

I think the levels in L4D are better than L4D too. Mainly because it's full of tight corridors and rooms with little areas branching off. It's much easier for the humans to get through a level whilst at the same time easier for an infected to grab a human and drag them around a corned. L4D2 is so open that you are seen miles away and killed before getting a chance to get close. Im glad the original levels are slowly making their way to L4D 2.

The boomer has never been a great character to play as but in L4D it was easier to puke on the humans. In L4D 2 you spend most your time running around hoping you're not seen or heard, missing with your puke and either hidding for two minutes waiting for the bar to fill back up or getting killed. I actually like both games, but each has it's pluses and minuses. We don't need L4D3, but we do need more DLC. I'd love to be able to barricade rooms too, even if it's just to slow down the infected or even do it as infected to slow down humans.

The difference between the two games is negligible for me. I guess I played Left4Dead more, but I enjoyed the variety in Left4Dead2. For me, one's just a continuation of the other and there's barely a cunts hair 'tween 'em and they pretty much play the same for me. If you transferred the L4D1 levels over to L4D2 that'd suit me fine.

Left4Dead 3, please. Thanks.

The difference between the two games is negligible for me. I guess I played Left4Dead more, but I enjoyed the variety in Left4Dead2. For me, one's just a continuation of the other and there's barely a cunts hair 'tween 'em and they pretty much play the same for me. If you transferred the L4D1 levels over to L4D2 that'd suit me fine.

You can play No Mercy in L4D2, they're porting the others over with the next DLC