IGNORED

Shock! Someone who dislikes: Ikaruga

NEG

- Can easily finish the game without using any skill once you finally unlock free play.

Yup street fighter on the snes should have got -179.95% becuase it has infinite continues.

Actually i dont really like ikaruga either - its a memory test, where as 1942 is a pure reactions and skill test.

Does anyone know of any vertical shooter that area bit more like 1942, in that the formations cant really just be learned off?

P.S I not just saying this to be mega ultra super hardcore!

you can learn formations in any shooter. it's just that it's more important to progress in Ikaruga. the only thing required of you in most shooters is survival; learning the patterns is thus less pertinent.

- Can easily finish the game without using any skill once you finally unlock free play.

Yup street fighter on the snes should have got -179.95% becuase it has infinite continues.

Actually i dont really like ikaruga either - its a memory test, where as 1942 is a pure reactions and skill test.

Does anyone know of any vertical shooter that area bit more like 1942, in that the formations cant really just be learned off?

P.S I not just saying this to be mega ultra super hardcore!

you can learn formations in any shooter. it's just that it's more important to progress in Ikaruga. the only thing required of you in most shooters is survival; learning the patterns is thus less pertinent.

But knowing the patterns gives you a higher chance of survival.

As for vertical shmups which do not have patterns, the only ones I can think of are Zanac on the NES/MSX, and Zanac NEO on the PS1. There are no attack patterns in these games, and the types/numbers of enemies is determined by how well you are doing. The better your performance, the more in number and potency the enemies. Brilliant games to boot.

essentially the reviewer has missed the point, and how its meant to be played

:o

Every single fucking review that is brought up where the majority don't agree, someone aaaaalways has to say that.

"oh, it's not that he doesn't like, it... he just missed the point, he doesn't understand it".

Pleeeeease.

I didn't have to say that but I did, then I furthered my argument.

But just for you

'essentially the reviewer has ignored the point of this game, and how it's meant to be played'

I think it's true that a large part of Ikaruga is memorising your chosen route through a level and knowing exactly what's going to happen next. However, more often than not you still need very good bullet dodging skills to pull it off, particularly when maintaining chains for a whole chapter.

I think it's true that a large part of Ikaruga is memorising your chosen route through a level and knowing exactly what's going to happen next. However, more often than not you still need very good bullet dodging skills to pull it off, particularly when maintaining chains for a whole chapter.

Yeah - it is easy to dismiss it as a pure memorisation test, but to get truly good at any game, it is exactly the same.

Want good times in a time trial? Want good scores in a shmup?

This always requires huge amounts of dedication, time and memorisation. Ikaruga is no different.

The beauty about Ikaruga is that it doesnt have to be played like this at all.

The chain scoring system doesnt have to get in the way of the game - no one ever tells you you have to go for points, just as in racing games you dont always go for the best times (you just try to "win" or survive in Ikaruga).