discussion on portals

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why are you posting a 4chan banner? If there's different image you wanted to post at least take the effort to upload it it somewhere instead of lazily linking to some random spot on 4chan (of all places)

i didn't lazily link! i previewed it and everything! i got it wrong but not on account of laziness! :quote:

Clearly it would slide, as no momentum is in effect on the cube until it goes through the portal, and at that point the only force effecting it would be gravity (and friction of course, but lets just ignore that for now); so it would slide down the blue portal-ed surface.

this is the thing though, speed is relative. from the perspective of the orange portal, the cube enters at speed. the fact that the speed is created by the movement of the orange portal doesn't make any difference. if you run at 30 mph into a car, it hurts just as much as if you were standing still and it hit you at 30mph.

The cube would be crushed. Portals in the game dissipate whenever the surface they are attached to moves.

no they don't. spoilers for portal 2 but trust me on this, they don't.

i didn't lazily link! i previewed it and everything! i got it wrong but not on account of laziness! :quote:

There are two ways to avoid this: either you upload it somewhere and link to it there or you clear the cache of your browser before previewing your post. If you simply preview you will always see the image as it's still in your cache. Just trying to help, it will prevent a lot of negs in the future :)

There are two ways to avoid this: either you upload it somewhere and link to it there or you clear the cache of your browser before previewing your post. If you simply preview you will always see the image as it's still in your cache. Just trying to help, it will prevent a lot of negs in the future :)

yeah, i get that. i didn't realise it was script delivered (or checked) cos the filename ended .jpg

I didn't neg. Just so you know.;)

I'm with Franki. The cube effectively has velocity. Without velocity it wouldnt enter the portal. The fact that the velocity is from the portal dropping ONTO the cube is irrelevant. It would be the same as the cube dropping onto a stationary portal.

Therefore, cube will fly.

• Upvote 4

I'm with Franki. The cube effectively has velocity. Without velocity it wouldnt enter the portal. The fact that the velocity is from the portal dropping ONTO the cube is irrelevant. It would be the same as the cube dropping onto a stationary portal.

Therefore, cube will fly.

Nah, think of the portal as something thin and hollow... let's say a rubber band or a bracelet. If you bring the band down around a dice the dice doesn't gain any velocity and fly up through the band. The only difference in this situation is that gravity on the other 'side' of the rubber band/portal might pull it out of the portal and down the angled surface, (depending on the angle of the surface that the blue portal is on). The surface the cube is sitting on becomes the surface of the angled surface.

Things like this make me wish I'd done a Physics degree, I love the theoretical side of it. Stupid having to be good at maths :<

• Upvote 1

It would not fly. There is no force behind the cube to propel it through the portal.

To give (what I think is) an equivalent comparison. If you slammed a hula hoop around an object, you'd not expect the object to move. Portals are just meant to be gateways to each other, aren't they? No other fancy propulsion enhancements or the like..

I think there is no definitive answer because portals basically break physics.

If the platform you're standing on is moving, then you would fly through. If the panel with the portal is moving then you'd slide. So absolute motion exists. Problem, theory of relativity?

Consider a portal dropping on you in the manner that's described in the opening post while you're standing still. You'd see the room appear around you when the portal passed over you but you wouldn't suddenly be travelling at hundreds of miles an hour or anything.

I've a mind to consider the opening post's image a trolling one, it's so obviously wrong.

• Upvote 1

Except - as soon as your body is partway through the portal, then that part of your body will be moving relative to the room on the other side of the portal. So you would get a bit of a boost. Maybe. The idea of two halves of an object moving at different speeds, but not moving in relation to each other, doesn't appear in physics as far as I'm aware.

• Upvote 1

REASON 2:

"Spectacular. You appear to understand how a portal affects forward momentum, or to be more precise, how it does not. In layman's terms: speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out."

Therefore: "Stationary thing goes in, stationary thing comes out."

So the cube will slide...

This is exactly was I was gonna post :)

Except - as soon as your body is partway through the portal, then that part of your body will be moving relative to the room on the other side of the portal. So you would get a bit of a boost. Maybe. The idea of two halves of an object moving at different speeds, but not moving in relation to each other, doesn't appear in physics as far as I'm aware.

What about this then.

You stand still with your arms aloft.

A friend jams a jumper on you, really quickly. When your body enters the jumper, you don't leap at the ceiling. The Jumper does not affect your motion.

Hmm. It either slides or gets stuck in an infinty loop.

The momentum of the platform is irrelevent as the portal takes the place of the surface which would normally squash the box.

The box ends up on t'other side of blue, but what happens next depends..

You see, the box should slide down BUT the blue portal is still covering most the gap where the box appears, therefore i'm not sure it would slide.

Saying that, If/when gravity takes effect, as it should, the box should roll (or slide) clear of the portal.