rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Sequels you want but know you'll never get

I watched Thor today and the scenes in Asgard didn't half make me yearn for the Too Human trilogy to be completed. Yeah, the first game was broken and a bit crap but it had a certain charm and we don't get enough games based on any kind of mythology really (let alone Norse). And you feel that it *might* have been fixed a bit if they'd had another chance.

A game I did really like was Rise of the Argonauts; the combat was quite meaty, the world fleshed-out and as an action-RPG I thought it was great.

Alpha Protocol is another game that lacked a bit of polish but deserved another crack; never before have I felt bad about a choice I made in a game relating to an NPC and for that alone it is great.

What about everybody else?

Body Harvest whenever I hear a piano it remind me of body harvest and also space station silicon valley which reminds me rocket robot on wheels which I would like a sequel to to. And excitebike64.

• Upvote 8

Eternal Darkness 2, and I wasn't a huge fan of the original's gameplay. But in terms of narrative it did some really interesting things and there were some clever and original concepts in there. I'd love them to have a proper crack at a follow-up with much better combat and environments that were less cramped due to the original's N64 origins.

I don't think a sequel is 100% out of the question really but Silicon Knights seem to have disappeared and the original didn't sell all that brilliantly iirc.

• Upvote 6

The World Ends With You Too. The original was a bit linear and repetitive but once you got your head around the system it was so much more inventive than most other RPGs. I'm not sure how it would work given how the first game ended, but maybe just a new story and some new partner mechanics along with a similar aesthetic and similar protaganist controls, but with new pins and stuff.

Jet Set Radio Next. I wasn't too big a fan of the first game - great aesthetics and gameplay ideas hindered by small levels and annoying time limits - but the second game is one of my all-time favourite titles, not just in terms of music and presentation, but also in terms of how freely you could move around the gameworld, and how much bigger these gameworlds were than the prequel's. A third game? It would have to borrow Future's more lenient physics and simplified spray mechanics, have a few less arena battles, online co-op so that you could split up and cover more ground, or maybe team up during scripted battles, it would ditch the timer (again) and maybe have one massive streaming world as opposed to districts broken up by loading screens...

• Upvote 4

Interstate '77 (i82 took almost everything that was great about interstate '76 and threw it out).

Grand Prix Legends 2

Over G Fighters 2

• Upvote 2

Condemned 3.

C2 sold extremely badly and so there won't ever be a new one (according to one of the ex Monolith devs on GAF). I fucking love Condemned 2, it's one of my favourite first person games of all time. It gets a bad rep because it's very different from the first game but that's the reason I love it so much. It has its problems but it's one of the most mental games I've ever played with the finest first person melee system of all time. Of course because I love it, we'll never get another fucking game like it. Goddamn it. Instead we get FEAR3. Developed by Day 1. Their last game was Fracture. Fuck.

Still excited to see what Monolith are working on next though which should at least be a new IP.

Streets Of Rage IV - Been waiting since the Saturn for this, fucking shit Sega

Shinobi IV - A proper Joe Mushashi sequel, fucking shit Sega

Shenmue III - I want to avenge my father dammit, fucking shit Sega

Other than Sega being shit, I'd have loved to see a follow ups to..

The Warriors - Great use of the license and a fantastic fighting engine, would've loved a 360 version if not a full blown sequel.

Psi Ops - So much fun , really under-rated game with tons of good ideas.

Freedom Fighters 2 - Like others have said a truly brilliant game with a great story. The passage of time is conveyed really well and the game has tons of charms.

• Upvote 8

Condemned 3.

C2 sold extremely badly and so there won't ever be a new one (according to one of the ex Monolith devs on GAF). I fucking love Condemned 2, it's one of my favourite first person games of all time. It gets a bad rep because it's very different from the first game but that's the reason I love it so much. It has its problems but it's one of the most mental games I've ever played with the finest first person melee system of all time. Of course because I love it, we'll never get another fucking game like it. Goddamn it. Instead we get FEAR3. Developed by Day 1. Their last game was Fracture. Fuck.

Still excited to see what Monolith are working on next though which should at least be a new IP.

I was this >< close to putting C3 on my list, but I really hated the direction the plot went in, despite the game having some really solid melee and shooting mechanics. I loved it until about chapter 8 but it totally fell apart in the final 1/3. Again, great fun to play but one of my biggest gaming dissapointments ever, storywise.

Streets Of Rage IV - Been waiting since the Saturn for this, fucking shit Sega

This was floating around my head too, but they'd bury it with some shit that isn't remotely like the actual existing franchise.

See: I don't know, only every franchise they've tried to revive since oh... the ps2

Beach Spikers 2 - The original probably wouldn't be considered a classic but it was brilliant fun with a group of mates. I guess there isn't a huge amount you could do with a sequel barring improving the graphics and beefing up the single player campaign but that would be good enough for me.

Luigi's Mansion 2 - Unfairly ignored by many, probably because it wasn't Mario or a platformer, this was still one of my favourite ever launch titles. I guess with it being Nintendo there is always a possibility that it will get a sequel, especially as both 3D and motion controls would fit the gameplay.

• Upvote 5

I was this >< close to putting C3 on my list, but I really hated the direction the plot went in, despite the game having some really solid melee and shooting mechanics. I loved it until about chapter 8 but it totally fell apart in the final 1/3. Again, great fun to play but one of my biggest gaming dissapointments ever, storywise.

I honestly wouldn't blame you. It's so completely mad and off kilter compared to the original and for me, that's why I adore it so much. But for many people they couldn't get past that. I mean it has

guys who wear knights armour running around a museum, fighting a magical magician, having a bear chase after you (one of the biggest ' OH FUCKING SHIT!' moments in games), having a super voice which makes guys heads explodes, fighting your own alcoholism with your fucking fists.

It's just completely and utterly crazy and one part of me goes 'what the fuck ?' and another part of me 'I love you Monolith you complete and utter crazy bastards' They could easily do C3 by having Ethan wake up after the end of the first game and have the second as a dream. I just want a new game with those combat mechanics and not so much shooting. Keep that for the FEAR games.

Not a single developer has tried or even beaten Monolith at their own game yet. It's the most visceral, in your face, violent and just damn exciting first person melee game I've ever played. I still put on the mini game modes now and again to hit some bums in the face :lol:

A new Shining Force, an actually good one by Camelot please.

A new Panzer Dragoon anything, Orta was bloody fantastic and need more.

I echo Jet Set and Shenmue and Streets of Rage. I'd also like to add Ristar to it too.

Wait, these are all Sega games (essentially). Fuck you Sega.

Oh! Yeah, TWEWY needs a sequel too. I'd replay it if it wasn't so linear, GREAT game.

• Upvote 7