Invert or normal look: the poll

469 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did the Portal 2 thing reach a conclusion? I just checked:

You can look around before it tells you to 'look up'. When it does tell you to look up, down is down and up is up. It's not configuring your preference for inverted. You have to go into the options to invert. And it defaults to normal. Because y'know, it's normal. Going to argue with Valve?

Imagine if you could invert the thumbsticks so you had to 'unclick them' to trigger RS/LS or R3/L3.

Your continued assertion that 'normal is normal' doesn't make the alternative any less valid, and your thumbstick unclick point is just a straw man that brings nothing to the table.

As for arguing with Valve, why not? Not that I'd have to argue - if I wanted to suggest that the action defined the setting, I could simply do so. If I wanted to suggest that 'normal' and 'inverted' were unfortunately prejudicial names for what we're discussing, I could do that too. Which leads me to wonder, what should we call these options to ensure that both are seen as valid? Or should we just look past the naming and keep an open mind on their use?

Your continued assertion that 'normal is normal' doesn't make the alternative any less valid, and your thumbstick unclick point is just a straw man that brings nothing to the table.

As for arguing with Valve, why not? Not that I'd have to argue - if I wanted to suggest that the action defined the setting, I could simply do so. If I wanted to suggest that 'normal' and 'inverted' were unfortunately prejudicial names for what we're discussing, I could do that too. Which leads me to wonder, what should we call these options to ensure that both are seen as valid? Or should we just look past the naming and keep an open mind on their use?

I can't quite believe you thought I was being serious :lol:

Meh, thought I'd seen similar posts from you earlier, tone is difficult to detect in text, would rather make my comment than assume you were joking. My points stand.

I said:

I think we can all agree that there is no 'better' solution, just differently wired brains.

Now let's argue about pads vs mice!

It's the most asinine thing in the world to argue about, that's the joke!

I said:

It's the most asinine thing in the world to argue about, that's the joke!

Then we are in agreement, save on our ongoing way of addressing the issue! My apologies, I should have checked back to your earlier posts.

So what should we start calling normal and inverted? North and South?

I use normal.

I was playing portal with my brother the other day, passing the pad and taking turns to do the levels. It was well annoying because I had to keep changing it as he plays invert.

You should start a poll about him to settle the matter once and for all. :)

Now do the x-axis.

That argument's always being used to ascribe behaviour to an axis that simply isn't required in the game. As such, the x-axis is mapped to something else entirely - physical body turning. I don't know about you, but there's a lot less head tilting going on when I turn around than when I look up.

Anyway, I'm not keen on any argument that states one method is superior to the other because I'm utterly unconvinced by any of them, but that picture does go some way towards helping explain to people who can't fathom inverted controls why some people find them quite logical.

• 9 years later...

My invert preferences are in the process of being entirely overwritten by Fall Guys' failure to have the option at launch.

As far back as I can recall, I've inverted the Y axis on FOS and third person games. Certainly as far back as games like Soul Reaver on the PS2, for example.

Then Fall Guys comes out, and it doesn't invert. And I get really into it! And now I'm fucked. Caught halfway into rewiring my brain, I can't play anything. I go back to old saves of, say, Spider-Man, and I can't control the camera at all. GAH 

6 minutes ago, K said:

Scientists are looking into the underlying reasons as to why some people invert and some don't, perhaps in the hope that they will someday know what the fuck is wrong with the brains of people who don't invert.

Indeed. The title of this thread should be Invert or weirdo look: the poll, tbh.