IGNORED

Nintendos future

Silent Runner

Which is a very good figure but even having 10million consoles out there whilst destroying your relationships with some of your biggest publishers because of an outdated business model that you are clinging to is commercial and financial suicide no? I would rather play a Nintendo game pre-2001 than most of their title release recently and if they go multi-format it could mean we get some AAA Nintendo titles back out there rather than BBB ones that seems to be the way they have gone as of late.

5.6Million GC shipped, let alone sold? Bollocks.

I just flat out refuse to believe that figure.

I think you'll find that it is total GCs shipped worldwide this year (as of Nintendo's last financial report in July?) vs. Microsoft's total sales worldwide since launch.

The bit about "despite lowering the price of its GameCube to a trifling £79.99 - could not overtake Microsoft's Xbox in total sales." is a way of getting around the fact that Nintendo is currently outselling Microsoft. Microsoft have done well this year, did he really expect Nintendo to catch up so soon after the price cut?

Which is a very good figure but even having 10million consoles out there whilst destroying your relationships with some of your biggest publishers because of an outdated business model that you are clinging to is commercial and financial suicide no?

You mean publishers like EA, Capcom, Sega, Namco and even Squaresoft. Nintendo have built bridges to 3rd party publishers this generation that will be carried on to the next-gen.

They're no Sony yet, but they're learning.

5.6Million GC shipped, let alone sold? Bollocks.

I just flat out refuse to believe that figure.

I think you'll find that it is total GCs shipped worldwide this year (as of Nintendo's last financial report in July?) vs. Microsoft's total sales worldwide since launch.

The bit about "despite lowering the price of its GameCube to a trifling £79.99 - could not overtake Microsoft's Xbox in total sales." is a way of getting around the fact that Nintendo is currently outselling Microsoft. Microsoft have done well this year, did he really expect Nintendo to catch up so soon after the price cut?

Hmmm.... journalism, eh?

Are these the same EA, Capcom, Namco and Sega that have decided to move what they claimed would be system exclusives over from the NGC to other consoles or cancelled titles all together? Doesn't sound to me like they have changed all that much really.

Anyhow I'm really not interested in getting into a stupid fanboy argument about this, but the fact is that X-box has taken priority over the GC for US retailers. This is sad, because I think the cube is a cracking machine, but it's the truth.

This "truth" is what you see. Personally as I've said before I don't agree with your "truth" I go games shopping alot and see plenty of high profile Gamecube stands, and as I said, Gamecube and Xbox getting equal billing.

I live in Riverside, CA, a pretty hick place by all accounts (based on the number of monster trucks I pass on the way to work). If anywhere is going to be a bastion of "gaycube" haters it'd be here. :o

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3...1103876,00.html
Hardware-wise, 2003 was an unprecedented year, as three major consoles hit stages of maturity. The big loser was Nintendo which - despite lowering the price of its GameCube to a trifling £79.99 - could not overtake Microsoft's Xbox in total sales. Sony's PlayStation 2, however, towers above its rivals. Microsoft has sold around 10m Xboxes worldwide, against Sony's staggering 62m PlayStation 2s - including 5m in the UK alone.

Nintendo has shipped (rather than sold) 5.6m GameCubes - a figure that must be taken with a pinch of salt, as it stopped manufacturing the GameCube for a period, due to huge inventory build-ups.

I am not saying anything. Well apart from "I am not saying anything".

I like the word "trifling" which my mini-oxford says is another word for "trivial"!

Now THAT will enrage the fan boys.

Are these the same EA, Capcom, Namco and Sega that have decided to move what they claimed would be system exclusives over from the NGC to other consoles or cancelled titles all together? Doesn't sound to me like they have changed all that much really.

Sounds more like a profit-lead business decision as opposed to poor relations with Nintendo to me.

I can't believe three things here.

1. this thread has reached 7 pages.

2. anyone at all is backing up that article, which is so obviously full of lies it's amazing anyone was stupid enough to print it. ignoring everything else, the GCN is at least on a par with xbox in overall sales of both hardware and games worldwide, and it is quite possibly the only one of the big three consoles which is actually turning a profit at all, given the huge losses being made by the others. meaning "GCN = unmitigated disaster" is, in objective FACT, nothing but a lie.

3. anyone who disagrees with the blatant, ACTUAL undeniable lies in the article is labeled a fanboy. come on, people, you're better than that. aren't you?

now, let it sink like it deserves to.

Don't phone any of the ones around St Louis, though, because they've all got the GC and Xbox on equal footing.

No, no they don't.

This "truth" is what you see. Personally as I've said before I don't agree with your "truth" I go games shopping alot and see plenty of high profile Gamecube stands, and as I said, Gamecube and Xbox getting equal billing.

Well, it's what I see, and what my Funcoland regional manager friend tells me :o

Not to accuse you of 'clutching at straws' at all, but let's look at this a bit more closely:

EA: haven't cancelled anything, haven't reneged on any exclusives. Very publicly committed to supporting the GC (and even the GBA link, weirdly) earlier this year.

Capcom: haven't (to my knowledge) canceled anything, failed to communicate that the 'big 5' were not all going to be GC exclusives - which is hardly worse than Ubi Soft pretending that Splinter Cell was an Xbox exclusive anyway...

Namco: see EA.

Sega: The fact that most of Sega's efforts have been ploughed into ill-advised 'rescue plan' deals with MS, Infogrames and THQ has rather overshadowed their admittedly patchy GC support. (Although, again, they haven't cancelled any games or gone back on any exclusives.)

Several publishers (Eidos, Acclaim, Vivendi) have dropped planned GC versions from multiformat releases - but these publishers tend to have one thing in common...

Konami are spending ridiculous amounts of money on a Metal Gear game for the system which, regardless of its final quality, must be ridiculously resource-intensive.

EA are one of the best GC developers. See how RotK and Harry Potter: Quiddich are TV advertised for GC and GBA only, by EA? Fucking excellent. They even throw in completely genius GBA link features (mini-jumbotron in Madden, for example).

So where in the US do you live?

Gah. I'd deleted it, 'cos it wasn't going anywhere :o

Are you in the LA riverside, or the Sacramento one?

I'm right down on the mexican border, in San Diego.

There's a Riverside in Sacramento?

I'm in the LA one. It's a shit hole. But one of the greatest places to buy Gamecube games in the US apparently :D

Capcom: haven't (to my knowledge) canceled anything, failed to communicate that the 'big 5' were not all going to be GC exclusives - which is hardly worse than Ubi Soft pretending that Splinter Cell was an Xbox exclusive anyway...

They cancelled a few titles IIRC. Dead Phoenix was one I remember the name of, although it seems that that title is in a state of flux development wise. As for not being GC exclusives, that may be true, but at the moment there's only one console that you can play Viewtiful Joe on as far as I can see. If it's coming for PS2 and Xbox it's not going to be a 3 month wait like Splinter Cell was.

We should really probably wait until Nintendo's next annual reports are due to be filed, as little relevant information can be gleaned about the company's performance and position before then. However, wild speculation is always fun.

If any of you fools believe that their half-year results were anything but bad news, then you have loads to learn. Exchange rate fluctuations happen all the time - you really reckon that this loss - the first ever in their history - was caused by a one-off freak occurance? Besides, you would've hoped that their operating profits should've been enough to counter any foreign exchange losses, but obviously enough, they weren't. I'd like to see their figures before this 'semi-exceptional' item.

As it stands, it pretty obvious that they're scrapping with Microsoft for any morsels to fall from the mighty Sony's table. And if they are in second place (which I very much doubt) then they're nothing more than the first loser.