IGNORED

Nintendos future

Silent Runner

I don’t know if this has been discussed before, but here is an article from Time Magazine on Nintendo’s Future.

Basically, they think Nintendo’s future lies solely as a Software House.

Article is worth a read though.

What? Time magazine in badly informed journalism shocker?

"GameCube is an unmitigated disaster....."

Not as much of a fuck up as AOLTimeWarner though, eh? At least Nintendo turn a profit, unlike you and your $8 billion debt?;)

But the company's latest console, the GameCube, has proved to be an unmitigated disaster, giving this holiday season the potential to become the Winter of Iwata's Discontent. Nintendo has suffered such a string of bad news over the past few months and posted such disappointing financial results over the past few quarters that many investors, analysts and industry watchers are wondering whether the onetime industry giant can hit restart—or at least pause—in an increasingly competitive video-game industry. Not only is Nintendo struggling to keep pace with its larger, better-funded rivals—Sony and Microsoft—in the console business, but its Game Boy division, Nintendo's previously unassailable monopoly in handheld games, is suddenly facing a host of formidable foes.

That's not really true though is it?

Yet no-one gives a second glance to Sony's 98% profit slide, or the unabashed money-pit that is Microsoft games studios. Strange that.....

Oh, and as for the N-Gage and next gen mobiles being a credible alternative to the GBA: Go fuck yourself you sad, sad little man.

Yet no-one gives a second glance to Sony's 98% profit slide, or the unabashed money-pit that is Microsoft games studios. Strange that.....

Oh, and as for the N-Gage and next gen mobiles being a credible alternative to the GBA: Go fuck yourself you sad, sad little man.

I would certainly rethink that statement with regards to the psp, which if marketed and financially implemented correctly, will prove to be more than a worthy competitor to the gba.

I would certainly rethink that statement with regards to the psp, which if marketed and financially implemented correctly, will prove to be more than a worthy competitor to the gba.

I wasn't saying anything in regard to the PSP though, a platform which has far more clout than the fucking N-Gage......

I have to agree that is the worst piece of journalism ever written. But what they point out [**correctly**] is this....Nintendo must realise now that multi-console manufacturing and marketing is not viable for them as they do not seem to have the resources of the likes of Microsoft and Sony and in the end could destroy the games company many of us have known and enjoyed for many years. They really should concentrate on advancing handheld gaming and look into multi-platform games production [alá Sega] IMO.

**Edited to satisify UM and to try to cover up my absent mindedness ;)

I have to agree that is the worst piece of journalism ever written. But what they unwittingly point out is this....Nintendo must realise now that multi-console manufacturing and marketing is not viable for them as they do not seem to have the resources of the likes of Microsoft and Sony and in the end could destroy the games company many of us have known and enjoyed for many years. They really should concentrate on advancing handheld gaming and look into multi-platform games production [alá Sega] IMO.

How is that "what they unwittingly point out"? That's what they're explicitly saying.

The article does make some good points though. The fact that Nintendo make 60% of the GC's games, while Sony make 20% of the Playstation's is interesting and important, as is the fact that Iwata still says he doesn't believe On-line consoles are viable (which worries me). For some reason it thinks that Nintendo posting a loss for the first time ever is more important than the huge profits they are still making while MS makes huge losses (the legality of which I still question as the rest of MS funds the economically failing XBox).

The PSP really challenges the only thing that has really kept Nintendo in business, the GBA with Pokemon, but they could still make another Console. Whether they chose to is another matter. I hope they do, and think they will too.

Time Magazine
Nintendo—a company that is almost proudly antitechnology
;)

Hmmmm, please close the door as you leave 'Time Magazine'

It's not as if Nintendo are ever pushing the boundries any more though, is it? I mean, it took years of prompting from the gamesplayers for them to move to a disk format, and even then it proved inadequate for some games.

The Gameboy Advance could have been more advanced, it could have had cheaper games, but Nintendo didn't do any of this because they didn't want to, due to their monopoly on the handheld market. But because of Sony's interest in the market, they're going to have to buck up their ideas from now on, because they can't stay in the past now. They will have to advance otherwise it could be game over quite quickly.

I'm also worried about their on-line stance, and I guess that it's purely motivated by a lack of money in the market currently. Not that they care for offering the gamers anything more.

I find it interesting that this is part of the Asian magazine and written by an Asian "journalist". I would have sworn it was an American piece.

Every kid who's booted up Super Mario for the first time knows what happens when you run out of lives and can't secure enough gold coins: game over.

Do you think he's ever played Super Mario?

game analyst Hisakazu Hirabayashi

Game analyst?

By doing this [going software only] Nintendo's growth might become limited

Well indeed, and precisely the reason that Nintendo (and Microsoft) won't go down that route ever.

I mean, it took years of prompting from the gamesplayers for them to move to a disk format, and even then it proved inadequate for some games.

That's not actually true, is it?

Why not? They were using cartridges for a 64-bit machine. It didn't have many of the fancy things that CDs could easily hold (because 650MB is a little bigger than 256mb) like FMV (oo-er), great quality sound and other big file things.

When I said "inadequate", I meant in terms of disk space. See: RE:Zero, some EA games and other stuff that I probably don't know much about.

I mean, it took years of prompting from the gamesplayers for them to move to a disk format, and even then it proved inadequate for some games.

Why not? They were using cartridges for a 64-bit machine. It didn't have many of the fancy things that CDs could easily hold (because 650MB is a little bigger than 256mb) like FMV (oo-er), great quality sound and other big file things.

When I said "inadequate", I meant in terms of disk space. See: RE:Zero, some EA games and other stuff that I probably don't know much about.

They did it to cut out loading times.

And now they've made sure that theu didn't move onto optical media until it was good enough to feature almost instantaneous loading.

There may well have been thousands prompts for Sony or Sega to stick with cartridges, but it wouldn't necessarily have been the better choice either.

it took years of prompting from the gamesplayers for them to move to a disk format

Nintendo don't give a fig about what you or I want. Nintendo wanted as much money as they could get from publishers from selling the cartridges [under the guise of trying to prevent piracy] and, although having released a disk based console, still have the same stranglehold over each publisher with their current medium which they have the patents for and charge extortionate amounts to have games produced on it. Go Nintendo, way to alienate the people who make games for your console.

Nintendo don't give a fig about what you or I want. Nintendo wanted as much money as they could get from publishers from selling the cartridges [under the guise of trying to prevent piracy]

A guise?

Nah.

They did it because they thought it'd be best, for loading times and plug and play accessability and all that.

And to get shedloads of money too, obviously.

Why not?

It's the bit that I've highlighted that I object to. If they'd released the GC with a cartridge format I'd concede the point.

They did it because they thought it'd be best, for loading times and plug and play accessability and all that.

;)

I did put an 'AND' as well, thankyouverymuch.

Besides which, I'm not that naive. I know full well they wanted to get oodles of cash, but surely cartridges wouldn't be the only way to do that. They could have released a unique optical media then like they have now, and still charged for the licensing and selling of it like they did with the cartridges. I just think that assuming the *only* reason they stuck with cartridges was to cheat us out of pocket is a bit, erm... assumptuous(sp?). ;)