IGNORED

The Low Carb/Paleo recipe thread

Davros sock drawer

Mark's Big Ass Salad is quite good for inspiration, if required.

I make a dressing using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and rosemary. Very easy and tastes great.

Apologies for the quality of the picture but this is the sort of thing I'll have most days at work, albeit in tupperware!

photo1-1.jpg

I wondered about that too, but I'm rather taking the view that things like Beetroot (i.e. good old veg) must surely be ok in small quantities. Compared to the amount of carbohydrate in the things I'm not eating (i.e. bread, cakes, pasta, etc, etc) the amount in one small beetroot must be negligible.

At the moment I'm not really dressing my salads, but I quite fancy making a blue cheese one soon.

You really should be dressing your salads. Without the fats from that dressing, you're not getting at much of the nutrients in the salad. Plus, it makes the stuff edible.

And, honestly, eat as much veg as you want. If you want to lose weight, stay off the starchier stuff a bit more, but otherwise just go for it.

Is beetroot allowed then? I had it in my mind it was quite high in carbs.

It'll be great news if I can start adding that to my lunch!

Is that a general question or related to my pic? If it's the latter - in the pic it is chorizo.

Poet - how much dressing would you recommend?

With tonight's lamb, butternut squash, green bean and red pepper curry, we added some crunch with home-made ghee-fried parsnip crisps and raita (Greek yoghurt, cucumber, mint sauce, ground coriander & cumin, fresh chilli and a touch of sugar). That was some good eating.

post-3597-0-90320600-1342723858.jpg

I have made my lunch for work on Sat/Sun - a basic recipe from marksdailyapple.com - mind i forgot to buy the nuts so will pick them up later and chuck in, maybe some sultanas too!

7608511922_d37fd023b6_z.jpg

I plan to have that over the two days with some leaf salad and the other normal bits and bobs!

I've been sharing lunches with a chap at work and every day for the last two weeks

Aww, how cute. Has he put out yet? ;)

First post in this thread, but I have read it from the beginning as I've started massively reducing my carbs. It is really hard to come up with a meal that I am excited by though for the following reasons:

- I don't actually like the taste of meat/fish on its own, nor do I eat fat;

- I only eat chicken (because it's easy to flavour), beef (but not very often), breaded cod or haddock (again, not that often);

- Whilst the veg I do like I will eat lots of anyway (I have always have at least 500g of veg, often more), the problem is there is a lot I don't like.

I am a very fussy eater (through taste and/or texture reasons), though I do try and experiment. As an example of how fussy I am, I can genuinely say that in the whole of this thread, the only thing I would try is the almond griddle cakes (and I plan to make them next week). The same goes for the 'Take a pic of your dinner' thread - I honestly don't think I've seen perhaps more than a couple of things I'd actually like to try or would eat.

So it's a problem. Since Monday I've not had any potato, pasta, rice or any grains; indeed, my meals for the week so far have been:-

Monday - Chicken breast with lots of veg with some garlic butter sauce;

Tuesday - Big cajun-seasoned chicken salad coated in around 40g of hot chilli sauce;

Wednesday - Two quarter-pounder burgers (no buns) with 1 slice of rubber cheese on each, big side salad with a balsamic dressing;

Thursday - Two Birds Eye Peri Peri chicken breast (yeah, I cheated, but they were low carb still) with buttered carrots and a little onion and pepper side 'salad' (cooked in a little butter).

I have never eaten breakfast and not eaten lunch for a number of years, so outside of the meals above I haven't eaten anything apart from on Wednesday when I tried some Greek yoghurt and raspberries but I didn't really enjoy it.

I'm doing this for some weight loss primarily and I haven't really had any cravings or been massively hungry during the day, but like I say, my issue is finding interesting meals to have. I've bookmarked some sites to have a look at, but any suggestions given my relatively-limited ingredients?

Is that a general question or related to my pic? If it's the latter - in the pic it is chorizo.

Poet - how much dressing would you recommend?

As long as it's a quality dressing, as much as you like, honestly. These are things you really shouldn't even need to be thinking about when eating like this. Just pile on what you like (given exclusions) and eat til you don't want any more.

If you want to lose weight, there are better places to lower your calories than with salad dressing but, obviously, if you like to have your salad swimming in olive oil, it might be good to scale it back a bit.

The weather is shit but I am damn well having barbecue tonight: pulled pork and ribs coming my way.

any suggestions given my relatively-limited ingredients?

Teach yourself to eat food properly. Seriously, you're missing out on so much, and I'm willing to bet that your dislikes are far more in your mind than in your tastebuds.

Eat something 13 or so times and you will adjust to it!

A few years back now, I decided to conquer my fussy eating habits and started forcing myself to eat foods I didn't like, such as olives, bananas, and things like coleslaw. I am so glad I did it as now I'll pretty much eat anything and enjoy both eating and cooking food so much more.

Is coleslaw in, i hope so!?

I am struggling with breakfasts i have to say, eggs and bacon i can do when i have time but a couple of my work starts are at 7 so i need to leave by 6:20 - i am not a morning person at all so have a routine with minimal time from alarm to car but cutting out cereal has not been easy. Im tending to have yogurt and fruit but the yogurts are the multi pot ones so poss not the best?

Am i missing glaring breakfast choices that are fast with no mess to clear up?

I fry up egg and bacon into an omelette the night before and eat it cold with some jalepenos and a tiny bit of mustard & ketchup when I'm leaving in a hurry. I'm sure this is weird/disgusting to most people but I generally have no problem with eating food cold.

The inlaws stayed this weekend and have been converted to the breakfast sweet potatoes with lardons. They were dubious at first, and I very much got the impression they only agreed to try them out of politeness. But as soon as they had a try they couldn't get enough; heading back for more before asking for the recipe so they could do it at home.

Sorry to be a pain but as you may have gathered I'm pretty new to this...

How strictly do you guys stick to it - do you have cheat days? And for the cyclists amongst you - do you load up on carbs prior to a big ride, I'm wondering how you fit this around sporting activities basically?

And for the seasoned followers of the diet, what are the must try meals esp with the focus on quick meals? I'm sorted on salads and breakfasts but struggling with those meals just for me (i work odd hours so at times don't eat with the family) i had some broccoli mash yesterday and thats something i will continue with - cooked in chicken stock (from a cube) and garlic and had a pork chop with it and very nice it was too!

Quick and easy meals? Stir-fries are pretty straightforward.

Most of my mid-week evening cooking is a bit of meat/fish fried in a pan with a little oil/butter, a few veg alongside (tomatoes, peppers mushrooms etc), with a portion of something else (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach) steamed in a separate pan. Quick to make, quick to wash up. For variety, change the meat, change the veg, use different herbs and spices.

I have a few go-to bits and pieces I add to dishes sometimes: creamy garlic mushrooms (mushrooms, garlic, pepper, cream fried up gently), garlic and salt green beans (green beans, salt, butter, garlic fried up gently), sweet potato wedges in the oven (maybe some squash with that) and so on.

As for cheat days and stuff. I don't regulate a cheat day personally. I know there's some that find this all a drag and need a cheat day (Pandy, I think, probably a few others) and some that don't (me, Blue.) Which isn't to say I never cheat (Christ, I love ice cream. And I drink too much beer.) But you, know, whatever works for you.

Can't comment on the carbing-up before a long ride thing. I'm skeptical that you need to, but others will have opinions there.

I don't really do cheat days as I also don't find it a drag. But once in a while if I really want something (ice cream or burgers with an actual bun in a pub are the main ones) then I just have it. It's no big deal, provided it doesn't make you feel like shit after.

I'm on a heavy exercise day today, with two hours of tennis before work and another two after. It's not cycling, but I play pretty intensely and burn a fair bit of energy in a session. Here's my food consumption for today:

Pre-tennis session 1: bowl of rasberries with double cream

Post-tennis session 1: plate of smoked salmon with mozzarella

Lunch: Salad with loads of chicken; yoghurt & banana

Dinner (pre-tennis session 2): Salad with loads of smoked haddock; blueberries & cream

Ordinarily I wouldn't eat this much, but then I don't normally play tennis twice in a day. I don't want to be tired or lacking energy tonight, and doubt I will be after all that. I won't eat again now till tomorrow lunchtime (unless I get hungry, but doubt I will).

Thanks, how i had i forgotten stir fry!!!?? :doh:

Today i had a salad with mackerel and egg for lunch and just had lamb steak with sweet potato mash, steamed broccoli and pac choy - both nice dishes but the family dont all eat some components so it gets complicated! I have to say i found the sweet potato mash overly sweet (i know) anything i could change, i baked them and then mashed with butter, salt & pepper?

No breakfast today as im working tonight so will have another small meal at work - probably small salad with chorizo and some fruit & yogurt afterwards!