UK Games Expo

jonnyalpha

58 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

oh no, it's going to be really tiny this year isn't it.

Honestly, it'll still be bigger than Airecon, but if it were that many people in a UKGE sized space I'd be happy.

Yeah - I don't think there are any official limitations to attendance now, but there's a lot of folks who are saying they're not going, so those figures will be down. Couple that with the amount of companies pulling out (especially all those under the Asmodee umbrella - none of them are going) and this will be a very different show. Not so many booths in a pretty large space with fewer attendees will feel a bit weird.

Yeah same for me, the trains were extortionate and the lack of exhibitors etc make the combined cost of trains, hotel and spending money etc not worth it unfortunately. Was going to be my first time attending and was really looking forward to it as well, guess I'll just buy more games to make up for it and plan to go next year and experience it as it should be.

I will be going. It's all booked and we're down in the Midlands for our wedding and then attending the expo with 2 of our grown up kids who we haven't seen much the last year. At worst we'll spend some time playing games together in the open gaming areas. It's disappointing that the organisers went this route, they could have continued with enforcing masks and distancing and I'm sure they would have had less push back. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

None of the Asmodee companies going is massive. It's ironic that by not enforcing masks and that they've lost more people than if they had enforced it.

asmodee haven’t pulled out of UKGE as yet anyway - there’s certainly a discussion amongst the demo team about who feels it’s safe to work at now though. 

9 hours ago, Mortis said:

asmodee haven’t pulled out of UKGE as yet anyway - there’s certainly a discussion amongst the demo team about who feels it’s safe to work at now though. 

Eh? I've been told that all the companies under the Asmodee umbrella are pulling out of all shows worldwide until at least Essen? 

Well asmodee UK have a floor plan and are looking for demo team for UKGE at the moment and don’t look like the change of entry rules are bothering them in the slightest if folk want to work it. 

So... UKGE's organisers have 180'd AGAIN. You will now need negative tests to get in, and masks are mandatory.

Of course, to find this out, you'd need to actually check their site, because they have officially announced it, or contacted exhibitors, or done anything to let literally anyone know that they've altered policies.

Still not going.

Well that 180 has made me comfortable enough to go and demo again. 
 Funnily there’s a section of the boardgaming fan base now determined they won’t go because of the mandatory mask requirement.  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so we're all booked for 2 days of masked gaming fun. Bizarrely, we are always really annoyed at the NEC's £12-per-day parking fees, but when we booked for 2 days' parking it cost £14.40. And Mrs Padster gets to go to the quilting show on Sunday too 🤗

On 14/07/2021 at 07:42, Mortis said:

Well that 180 has made me comfortable enough to go and demo again. 
 Funnily there’s a section of the boardgaming fan base now determined they won’t go because of the mandatory mask requirement.  

Where are you demoing? Do you know what games you're teaching? 

We'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday but won't get there till early Friday afternoon so that'll be a half day. That first day will be a quick trip round some of my priority stands and then a more relaxed ramble round on the weekend. 

Looking forward to it. May see some of you there. 

12 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Where are you demoing? Do you know what games you're teaching? 

We'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday but won't get there till early Friday afternoon so that'll be a half day. That first day will be a quick trip round some of my priority stands and then a more relaxed ramble round on the weekend. 

Looking forward to it. May see some of you there. 

I’ll be with asmodee in my lovely purple shirt demoing res arcana in the discovery zone. 
 Pop along and say hi if you’re about :)

Got back late last night and throat is dead thanks to Res Arcana being mobbed constantly since Friday morning. 
 Was nice to say hi briefly at the end to @therearerules and if any of you attending did demo with me I hope you enjoyed - I certainly did :)