rllmuk
jonnyalpha

UK Games Expo

It was really strange. I scoured the whole stall twice and found none of my games. I looked around in a resigned kind of way and my eyes landed straight on one of them. Five more minutes of searching was fruitless and I was on the point of giving up. I plonked down the game I was carrying in front of me as I went to get my phone out of my pocket and realised that my other game was on the table in front of me. I must have walked past it several times.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

there was one family in the open gaming hall playing Sushi Roll.... that game was no where to be seen and I think they must have the only copy!  They bought it first thing on Saturday but not sure where from.  

I was dissappoitned that this wasn't availble not even to demo... it was at the top of lots of 'games to watch' lists.  Did anyone get it?

It was available to demo, they had a couple of tables at the Coiledspring booth. But yeah, sad it sold out so quickly.

Either first thing on Saturday is a worse time than Sunday, or the bring and buy was definitely worse than last year despite being bigger.  People pricing things at showroom prices is irritating, but there were a lottttt of I Bought This At The Works For £12 And Now You Can Buy It For £20 and a few others that have been cheap since UKGE last year, like Captain Sonar and Guilds of London. 

I can’t imagine it works that well, either. Surely most of them go home with them? 

• Upvote 1

There wasn't much works bullshit on Friday but there was a lot of duplicates at bullshit prices. If you want good shit there'll be an optimal time but fuck queueing up for an hour to be elbowed out of the way by cunts with no concept of personal space or social graces.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

There wasn't much works bullshit on Friday but there was a lot of duplicates at bullshit prices. If you want good shit there'll be an optimal time but fuck queueing up for an hour to be elbowed out of the way by cunts with no concept of personal space or social graces.

We had about half an hour’s queue. Although some of that time was spent going to the cloakroom as you weren’t allowed (empty!) backpacks in. 

La Citta was about 4% of the overall stock on Saturday morning though. Ridiculous amounts of them.

12 hours ago, Rev said:

We had about half an hour’s queue. Although some of that time was spent going to the cloakroom as you weren’t allowed (empty!) backpacks in. 

La Citta was about 4% of the overall stock on Saturday morning though. Ridiculous amounts of them.

There was a point where the queue was out of the hall. It used to be good but now it's just a dumping ground for garbage games. Saying that, it's a lot more efficient than it used to be. When it was at the Masonic hall it was slow as hell, but only a quarter of the size.

In defence of the bring and buy, like any car boot or jumble sale you’re going to have to wade through crap to get to the gold. And there was gold, but you had to get there early and you had to really search for it. Even though the Cyberpunk books I was after were listed, and the book section wasn’t that big, it still took me a few looks through to find them. My mate got there for the Friday opening in order to get the solitary copy DinoGenics, only to see someone walking to the till with it. That was 9.20am, on Friday!

My Grimm Forest and Scott’s Mage Knight seem to be the best Rllmuk finds so far. I can’t imagine the people overcharging managed to sell much at all.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

There was a point where the queue was out of the hall. It used to be good but now it's just a dumping ground for garbage games. Saying that, it's a lot more efficient than it used to be. When it was at the Masonic hall it was slow as hell, but only a quarter of the size.

If it was priced as a dumping ground that’d be fine too. It’d be quite fun coming home with a pile of interesting 6/10s for a fiver each. But since they’re over priced and rubbish it’s actually just a place for garbage games to sit for three days.

It’s basically just a mini-break for stuff from The Works. 

I went into the Bring and Buy on Sunday afternoon and it was very civilised and easy to move around. I didn't see anything I wanted until later when I saw several games that I would have bought when I was collecting a couple of my games that hadn't sold. I saw a deluxe TMG version of Belfort that I would have definitely bought but by then the tills were closed and they were cashing out. I didn't have time to wait around and buy it off the seller when they turned up.

Victorian Masterminds? Does it really say Death Turbines on that board? :D

Did anyone play Star Wars Outer Rim? It looked a bit too much Talisman with a Stars Wars theme to me, but I didn't look that hard. FFG have turned into Asmodee's cash cow and their constant pushing of licensed games has put me off them. They've done some classics over the years but now it's all Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

13 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Did anyone play Star Wars Outer Rim? 

Yeah and tbh I didn't like it. (Disclosure I think the Scoundrels/Rogues are the worst part of Star Wars :P)

Haven't played Talisman, but the demo-er described it as a quicker/simpler Firefly - and he was right. But I'm not sure what it added - just what it took away. 

Actual player agency felt pretty slim (turns went quickly and while you had a wealth of choices/actions - only a couple were normally viable/beneficial at any one time so there wasn't much deliberation) and player interaction was non-existent (could be better in a longer game where we have more crew and more bounties).

I was broadly bored during others turns - I'd planned out my next move before my current one ended, and there was very little anyone could do to effect that [except maybe buy something you wanted]. You were effectively each playing your own race to win (again this might change in a fuller/longer game) with very limited impact on each other.

• Upvote 2

Upon closer inspection it turns out that BnB Mage Knight I bought is completely unplayed. Card packs haven’t been opened. Bargain of the year 

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Benny said:

Opened my copy of Mr Face to discover they'd sold me one that was entirely in Japanese :(

Want me to translate it for you? 

(Not even sure what Mr Face is or how much work that would be to either translate it or play it using notes but...)

Also I just caught up with the story about the GM getting thrown out for a 'gang rape' scenario... What a tool.

I've emailed them to see if I can get it replaced. Unfortunately it's one of those games where you really need to be able to read the text on the cards.

Another example of crazy BG pricing / availability.  Wasn't Sorcerer on sale at the Expo for £60 odd?  Available for pre-order at Meeples Corner for £36.95.

Also, did anyone get to see Proving Grounds demo at Renegade Games?  I looked for it but couldn't see it.  Really interested in this since its a solitaire experience.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Got my Mr Face replacement sorted already - that's some tip top customer service from Oink games!

Hooray! I still remember spilling a cup of tea on @moosegrinder's copy of Thunderstone, and AEG replaced the affected cards without complaint. Always nice to hear more stories of companies going the extra mile.

On 04/06/2019 at 11:12, Rev said:

If it was priced as a dumping ground that’d be fine too. It’d be quite fun coming home with a pile of interesting 6/10s for a fiver each. But since they’re over priced and rubbish it’s actually just a place for garbage games to sit for three days.

The first few years I went I would routinely pick up a load of punts - stuff that looked interesting and sometimes was even alright. Nearly did it this year with a couple of the small-box Pegasus games, but the 20-minute queue to pay was just a little too much. There wasn't a great deal in there for under a tenner this year that I saw (other than a random copy of Netrunner for eight quid?!) but that could well be because someone had already hoovered it all up.

On 04/06/2019 at 11:13, Padster said:

I wasn't aware you could see everything listed online in advance. Suppose I should have been, really... 

Wish I'd remembered this too. I definitely didn't spend 20 minutes looking for things that literally weren't there

I’d never have found my Cyberpunk books without the search function, searched and searched but knew they were there somewhere. Once something’s sold it’s listed as such too.

Heads up.. Just noticed that the Hilton have pretty much halved prices for next year’s expo weekend. Just snagged a room for three Fri & Sat for £160 a night with free booze in the exec room.  Happy with that for the convenience alone.

• Upvote 1

Seriously tempted to take my own booze to the Hilton next year. The prices were too high and the service was *awful*. I miss the real ale stuff they’ve had for the last few years

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

Seriously tempted to take my own booze to the Hilton next year. The prices were too high and the service was *awful*. I miss the real ale stuff they’ve had for the last few years

We did. The hotel selection is awful so we had a chiller &  took beer down from the room in a back pack. I’ve been going for the past three years and never seen anyone challenged for drinking their own.

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2019 at 19:44, Benny said:

Got my Mr Face replacement sorted already - that's some tip top customer service from Oink games!

Now arrived in the post from Germany with a lovely apologetic handwritten note from the lady that demonstrated it at the UKGE. Hurrah!

• Upvote 2