Azul

Dice Lanterns

Innis

Artemis Project

Word Jam

Outer Rim

Keyforge

Sagrada

(Dice City for easy play in Hilton at night)

Left with Time Stories, Bank Robbery and Artemis Project

There didn’t seem to a ‘tent pole’ game being pushed/advertised across event this time.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rev said:

I saw it on twitter, and while UKGE have reacted well it’s properly awful. I suspect realistically there’s nothing that can be done more than kick him out and ban him, as they’ve done, but you’d hope they can sue him for the damage to their reputation that they’ve suffered from him acting like a twat.

Indeed. You can bet that there will be a few more explicit statements about what isn’t acceptable for DMs running games next year, but that’s firmly in the “nobody would be that stupid” category that you don’t expect to have to mention. 

On 31/05/2019 at 23:19, womblingfree said:

so picked up Chainsaw Warrior for £10 instead. Basically 2000AD Solitaire, solo-play, with some great art by Brett Ewins.

I am so jealous.

Fancied that back on release, but was a poor student and couldn't afford it. Yes, we got grants and tuition paid for and everything back in the 80s but, you know, even then we had to prioritize. So I chose more beer...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smac said:

I am so jealous.

Fancied that back on release, but was a poor student and couldn't afford it. Yes, we got grants and tuition paid for and everything back in the 80s but, you know, even then we had to prioritize. So I chose more beer...

It is available on iOS along with a sequel is that's any help.

Christ, my feet and throat. Three days of hell, too busy, too hot, spent too much, ate & drank too much, didn’t demo enough and couldn’t spend nearly enough time with mates as the weekend went way too quickly.

Just booked rooms for next year. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Skeeez said:

Just booked rooms for next year. 

Are the dates set for next year? I couldn't find them with my Google-fu

Had a great time this year, tried Star realms creators next one Epic, seemed more fiddly than it should be but assume will flow with two experts. 

Grabbed a bunch: star wars outer rim, sidereal confluence, dice throne season 2(box4) and bring and buy Luna Llena, 3 wishes and Kaos Ball

Wanted to try Wacky Racers but didn't get the chance. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, shynra said:

Are the dates set for next year? I couldn't find them with my Google-fu

Took a chance as it has been on the weekend following the May Bank Holiday for the last four years.

Next year will be the first where we haven’t stayed at the Hilton. £350 a night is way too much for the standard of accommodation provided imo. Ibis styles for us. Anyone stayed there? Hoping it’s not too grim.

• Upvote 1

Our girlfriends and wives are pissed off to be missing the fun, so next year they’ve said we’re booking an AirBnB.

Now just have to persuade them to do the same for Essen, ComicCon and Tiki Oasis.

Ibis styles is nice. Had a wonderful time, only played a handful of games- but one was Blood on the Clocktower 4 times (genuinely felt like our crazier forum Mafia scum games brought to life. Naturally I loved it, and my qualms about GMing it went away as I love GMing that shit. Gonna get a late backing and I’ve been invited to the secret GMing group. If I wasn’t going to get my own stand next year I’d love to just help out SUASD during the day and run Blood... in the evening). And Forks over a leisurely 2 hour lunch at Las Iguanas with the SUASD crew! Lovely to see some of you, and I laughed when David, another helper, said “somebody came and asked for therearerules. Is that you?”

So next year, no matter what, we’re doing Rllmuk on the Clocktower.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Hexx said:

So two days;

Played

How to Rob a Bank

Time Stories 

Azul

Dice Lanterns

Innis

Artemis Project

Word Jam

Outer Rim

Keyforge

Sagrada

(Dice City for easy play in Hilton at night)

Left with Time Stories, Bank Robbery and Artemis Project

There didn’t seem to a ‘tent pole’ game being pushed/advertised across event this time.

I was interested in bank robbery, but was unsold it by the explainer where the conversation went:

Him:”It’s like Colt Express”

Me:”I like Colt Express”

”Then you’ll like this!”

”But I already own and play Colt Express”

Oh”

If you’re going to start an explanation by comparing it to a popular game (bad idea imo) at least have a reason why it’s better.

• Upvote 1

Home...

7.5 hours towing the caravan back up the road in high winds but alllll worth it. Had a great time.

the site itself was a 5 quid taxi away and 48 quid for two nights. Lovely site as well.

game wise... 

friday night was mostly dedicated to 

Arboretum 

game of thrones the board game (epic and brilliant)

villagers - a great game this

saturday was just far too busy and warm. Bought stuff but couldn’t get anywhere near demos we wanted to play other than 

Pandemic rapid response - holy FUCK is that a stressful game. Good though

Lunch time we played Behind the throne from Ares a few times. I love that game.

Saturday night was

monsters v heroes volume 2

isle of skye

escape plan

right - on escape plan... it’s initially soooo complicated. It took me until almost the very last turn for it to click with me. I’ll need to play it again. Style wise, I’m not a massive fan of the abstract clean art, I prefer much more visual stuff but the game seemed really good. But damn it took me a while to get my head round.

Black Orchestra... we killed Hitler! A great game that’s just balanced in such a way that it feels really really thematic when you get chance to take the fucker down.

Arboretum again.

sunday was demo day... 

god of war war the card game was so much better than I expected... I’ll get that when it comes out

wacky races was great fun - I can see my kids enjoying that 

Game of the show for me was Victorian Masterminds... the guy was explaining it was really really good and knew the game inside out. He played with us and we all had an absolute blast. Loved it 

escape the Dark sector... I’m a big ETDC fan and I’ve backed the Kickstarter. The ranged combat stuff is really well done. Looking forward to getting my mitts on that

we tried to get on Sanctum (particularly since I’m a fan of adrenaline) - but just couldn’t

Surprise of the show for me was Sub Terra 2. They’ve absolutely NAILED the Indiana Jones type theme. It’s tense. It’s much more focussed than ST and even with a prototype it was dripping with theme.  I didn’t back ST but I reckon I’ll get this one.

We played Villagers again before home time. Yeap. Still cracking. 

On the way home I had to stop for a break... high winds with a caravan makes driving pretty taxing so we relaxed by playing Ticket to Ride New York.  Wow. What a perfect travel game. This will be going *everywhere* with me 

my haul...

we loved GoT tbg so much that I bought the Mother of Dragons expansion (I’ve also got the other two PoD ones)

monsters v heroes

ticket to ride New York 

ffg edition of Knizia LotR classic for 8 quid 

but... the absolute daddy...

Mage Knight absolutely mint pristine 30 quid. YAS

a great weekend... but so much to see and do in so little time.

• Upvote 4

My smaller purchases were:

Commissioner Victor (no idea, but £8 sealed from the bring and buy and seemed different)

Little Circuses (£5. Looks easy going.)

3 Wishes (£4)

Superhot card game (£6)

Flamme Rouge Meteo (£8...Grabbed as I didn’t know Peloton is impossible to get these days. Sulk.)

And the bigger purchases:

Suburbia + 5* Expansion (£45...So close to backing the Collectors Edition, I think this might be the gateway to getting that)

Paper Tales (£25. Looks really interesting.)

And the biggest:

Star Wars Rebellion (£63. Both my brother and I played Supremacy on the PC a LOT, so when we realised this was that we had to get in on it.)

Not a bad little pile at all. And someone my brother knows asked him to grab Villagers which became an opportunity for me to get rid of that for not much of a loss. Which is nice. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Star Wars Rebellion (£63. Both my brother and I played Supremacy on the PC a LOT, so when we realised this was that we had to get in on it.)

I'm constantly surprised by people who claim that the board game is like the PC game. In my opinion they are barely alike at all (and I don't seem to be alone: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705346/how-closely-does-match-lucasarts-pc-game )

It is great though.

4 hours ago, Tourist said:

I'm constantly surprised by people who claim that the board game is like the PC game. In my opinion they are barely alike at all (and I don't seem to be alone: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1705346/how-closely-does-match-lucasarts-pc-game )

It is great though.

I’ll see when I play it, but from reviews and stuff it seems like a politer version of it. No Bulwark Battlecruisers and the Rebels becoming a vast galactic army, sad face, but probably the PC game was wrong. But no characters comically dying is a shame.  

But it’s taking table time from it doesn’t-quite-work-with-two-players-but-fun-anyway Britannia so, it’s mostly bought as A Very Different War. Which I think it’ll do well for us. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, therearerules said:

I laughed when David, another helper, said “somebody came and asked for therearerules. Is that you?”

That was probably me. I missed you in the end. So much stuff to do, I barely scratched the surface.

Chatted to the Shadows of Esteren guys. I kickstarted that. Thanked Sandy Peterson for saving Chaosium. Tried out the Citadel Contrast Paints which were interesting.

I painted this in literally ten minutes with a shitty brush that someone else had already splayed.

Bought the WFRP stuff which I am liking a lot. Picked up Fog of Love. Got a miniatures carry case for my Adeptus Titanicus stuff.

It was a good day.

IMG_20190601_175223.jpg

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I’ll see when I play it, but from reviews and stuff it seems like a politer version of it. No Bulwark Battlecruisers and the Rebels becoming a vast galactic army, sad face, but probably the PC game was wrong. But no characters comically dying is a shame.  

But it’s taking table time from it doesn’t-quite-work-with-two-players-but-fun-anyway Britannia so, it’s mostly bought as A Very Different War. Which I think it’ll do well for us. Fingers crossed!

In Supremacy both sides were identical (after initial start up)

In Rebellion their objectives, missions, gameplay is very different.

Rebellion is a great game - but don't expect a replica of Supremacy,

(Also if you like it - get the Rise of the Empire expansion. You can kill people there - it's great fun!)

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Aluco said:

That was probably me. I missed you in the end. So much stuff to do, I barely scratched the surface.

Chatted to the Shadows of Esteren guys. I kickstarted that. Thanked Sandy Peterson for saving Chaosium. Tried out the Citadel Contrast Paints which were interesting.

I painted this in literally ten minutes with a shitty brush that someone else had already splayed.

Bought the WFRP stuff which I am liking a lot. Picked up Fog of Love. Got a miniatures carry case for my Adeptus Titanicus stuff.

It was a good day.

IMG_20190601_175223.jpg

I'm really interested in these paints... If I could paing the majority of my figures just as you have there, I'd be happy.  I love the idea of painting but I just don't have the time.  Is it really as simple as using single colour pots to get what you did there... do you still need to do the highlights?

Did anyone try Wacky Races? It looked fun, but I didn’t have time to demo anything really.

Mostly, that miniature was a single coat over primer. The tips of the horns were a second coat with a darker brown. The axe head was a mix of their black and white paints. The flesh was green first, then flesh after. The red spots where applied after that. I was experimenting a bit.

I think with a range of colours, you could knock out half decent armies in no time.

A thing to be aware of: Applying them neatly is tricky, at least it was with the crappy brush I was using. See the overlap on the hands and axe head. You could always come back and tidy up after if you wanted.

Ican paint much better than this (but not in just ten minutes) I can see me using this for some stuff, getting it to a point where the fun detailing happens really fast. I have a Sylvanneth army to paint that this will be a dream for.

For those who can't be bothered, or who do not paint well, this is going to make a lot of difference. I think it will be a pretty big deal.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Did anyone try Wacky Races? It looked fun, but I didn’t have time to demo anything really.

yeah - it's fast and very light.  Great fun and would be a good family game for us.  I'm probably going to pick it up... nowhere had it in stock yesterday.

• Upvote 1

there was one family in the open gaming hall playing Sushi Roll.... that game was no where to be seen and I think they must have the only copy!  They bought it first thing on Saturday but not sure where from.  

I was dissappoitned that this wasn't availble not even to demo... it was at the top of lots of 'games to watch' lists.  Did anyone get it?

Apparently a few retailers had it on the Friday but all those copies went in a few hours. The same thing happened to Tiny Towns too. I couldnt find a copy of that by 15:00 on Friday.

On a more positive note I made £350 on the bring and buy which more than covered the games I went home with. Result! Sadly it wasn't enough to cover all the food and booze too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

yeah - it's fast and very light.  Great fun and would be a good family game for us.  I'm probably going to pick it up... nowhere had it in stock yesterday.

Fast and light in a good way is a good thing. The minis looked really cool and it all looked nicely designed, looks wise.

There was a copy of Wacky Racers on the Dreamcast in the Filmcon thing. I didn’t expect to see more copies of that than the board game.

Well done. I thought I'd done well on my £150 at the Bring & Buy. I brought back a couple of games that didn't sell but I wasn't unhappy to get them back really. The money I made covered most of our purchases which was nice. We picked up:

Imhotep: A New Dynasty - an expansion for the brilliant Imhotep.

Age of Giants: Kingdomino expansion

Cuzco - the final game in the Mask Trilogy. We already had the SuperMeeple prints of Mexica and Tikal so really wanted to complete the set.

Ceylon - F wanted this as she loves Sri Lanka and it looks like a really pretty euro.

Tribes: Dawn of Humanity - We demoed this at the Kosmos stand. It's a quick, light civ builder that took three of us under an hour on our first play. I really liked it and it was a good price.

Honga - a new light family game from Haba. We all enjoyed this one. I got a copy and my friend bought one for his family. Definitely worth a look.

Meduris - a Haba family game from 2016. Looks more strategic and thinky than their other games and it was on offer at £15. I couldn't resist.

Visiting the show for one day only made the whole thing a bit of a rush. I'll be trying to make sure we are there for the whole weekend next time. There was so much stuff we didn't get to see never mind try.

8 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Well done. I thought I'd done well on my £150 at the Bring & Buy. I brought back a couple of games that didn't sell but I wasn't unhappy to get them back really.

I'm impressed you managed to find your own games to bring home! The bring and buy was huge this year. I had one game that didn't sell but i was only asking £10 for it so I wasn't worried about just leaving it there.