rllmuk
jonnyalpha

UK Games Expo

I didn't realise this was so soon! Quite excited now.

I'll be there on the Friday and am mostly looking forward to hanging out and having dinner. If anyone wants any of these for pickup, please let me know:

Code of Nine: £7

Ascension Immortal Heroes: £6

Risk: Balance of Power: £3

Magic the Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers: £5

Matcha: £5

Won't be bringing them unless I've got a sale agreed :)

General list of new things I want to check out (though some are wishful thinking for UKGE):

Black Angel (Looks like GenCon)

Century: A New World (Confirmed on Asmodee site)

Cloudspire (Confirmed on UKGE site)

Football Highlights: 2052 (Looks like Origins)

MegaCity: Oceania (Confirmed here!)

Paladins of the West Kingdom (Not sure, looks like Kickstarter backers are getting theirs in December...)

Pandemic: Rapid Response (Just announced it's releasing on June 23rd, so maybe a demo?)

Reavers of Midgard (Kickstarter orders supposedly shipping in June.. who knows)

Res Arcana (Came out fairly recently, one for me to buy)

Sorcerer  (Confirmed on UKGE site)

Sorcerer City (Maybe GenCon)

Super Fantasy Brawl (Confirmed on UKGE site)

Trick Shot (Still in Kickstarter land, so maybe not)

Villagers (Confirmed on UKGE site)

• Upvote 3

I backed Villagers on Kickstarter and played it for the first time yesterday. It’s fine, but there’s nothing that would make me recommend it. It’s a very simple game with quite a fiddly implementation, and the rule book isn’t helpful. In 2 player it’s a bit irritating that it’s statistically likely that you’ll not get the cards out that you want, or they’ll have gone before you wanted them. I don’t think it’d particularly benefit from more players either, that’s just going to bring about different but similar problems.

I was looking forward to it arriving, sounded like my kind of game, but honestly I’m not sure it’ll get to the table again. 

IMHO, etc.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

I backed Villagers on Kickstarter and played it for the first time yesterday. It’s fine, but there’s nothing that would make me recommend it. It’s a very simple game with quite a fiddly implementation, and the rule book isn’t helpful. In 2 player it’s a bit irritating that it’s statistically likely that you’ll not get the cards out that you want, or they’ll have gone before you wanted them. I don’t think it’d particularly benefit from more players either, that’s just going to bring about different but similar problems.

I was looking forward to it arriving, sounded like my kind of game, but honestly I’m not sure it’ll get to the table again. 

IMHO, etc.

We played at last years expo when the kickstarter was up and came to the same conclusion.

• Upvote 2

Have they changed the distribution of cards depending upon hierarchy? I played this at Airecon and there were as many cards requiring level 2 (which required level 1) as there were level 1 cards. Like a badly thought out Pokemon deck.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

Have they changed the distribution of cards depending upon hierarchy? I played this at Airecon and there were as many cards requiring level 2 (which required level 1) as there were level 1 cards. Like a badly thought out Pokemon deck.

Still like that. 2 of each. And since in a 2 player game you’re probably going to leave half the cards untouched, the one you need is likely to never appear. With more players I guess the chance of getting all the cards out is much higher, but then they’re just going to go to other players so you still can’t really strategise anyway.

Which means it’s baaaasically deal out 30 cards and make the nicest picture you can from them. Considering it got a good review on Dice Tower and it’s on a 7.9 on BGG there must be something in it, but it feels completely down to luck to me.

3 hours ago, Fondue said:

Hmmm. It sounds like it suffers from Kickstarteritis.

(often best treated with a large dose of honest play testing) 

Probably. The one slightly inconsequential thing that really should have been picked up is that “Villages” and “Villagers” are basically pronounced the same which makes reading rules out really annoying.

13 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Think I am going to bunk off tomorrow and go. Never been on a Friday before. I hope it’s quieter. Is it open all day?

Yes, opens at 09:30. And yes it will be quieter than Saturday. It will still be busy mind but not quite the levels of chaos of the Saturday.

I'll be there on Saturday. Not sure what to pick up. New WFRP probably, alongside anything else that takes my fancy.

I'll swing by the SU&SD stall and make sure I say hi this time.

• Upvote 1

No I had not. I knew they were reworking the campaign and that those working on it were some I consider legends. A lot of the original crew.

But that set is going to have to be mine. I guess I should start saving now.

They’re doing a non-collectors set including companions as well. I’ve no real interest in WFRP (played 1st edition a long long time ago) but I am a massive D&D junkie and into the history of D&D and UK D&D. Graeme Davis is a legend in that context as he wrote for TSR UK as well as GW. There’s a definite influence on WFRP and much of what became the Enemy Within Campaign from the early UK D&D scene, Imagine Magazine, Games Master Publications and the Pelinore Campaign in particular. 

I'm sat on a ferry crossing the Channel, not due in for at least another hour or two and I'm meant to be meeting people in the morning at the Expo.... This feels a bit otherworldly! Sleep? Pah! 

And in a new hall!

For anyone rocking up later, there are additional ticket booths outside halls 2 and 3. Worth checking before you entire the swamp that is the Hall 1 queue.

• Upvote 1

On the way! On Sunday my friend and I have qualified for the Pandemic Survival Nationals. Chance to represent the U.K. at the world event if we win! 

• Upvote 2

I still haven't for my fucking kickstarted Hellas yet <_<

The bring and buy queue was fucking ridiculous earlier.  Not seen many bargains but I did get the first Roll for the Galaxy expansion.