rllmuk
jonnyalpha

UK Games Expo

Had a great time yesterday, my only regret was not trying to make proper conversation with SU&SD guys. Everyone was so busy.

Bought Escape from the Temple which has been on my list for ages but I have never managed to pick up before. Hive pocket which will be great for when we go trekking. Blades in the Dark as a book rather than relying on the PDF as I have before, and a carry bag for my Infinity miniatures. My friend bought me the wooden insert for Gloomhaven which was very generous of him. I suspect putting that together that will be this afternoons job.

I spent a good long time chatting to the main creator of Shadows of Esteren, which I have Kickstarted a couple of times. It was a really interesting talk. The chap from Battlesystems was kind enough to give me free stuff when I chatted to him about his Kickstarter (which I also did) and some past correspondence we have had.

Played Fog of Love which I liked a lot but could not afford on top of the other stuff and generally had a great time. I would like to play it some more.

I was overwhelmed at the beginning and tired come the end. Glad I went and will go next year for sure. Not sure I could do more than a day though. Although an evening playing i attractive. We ended up going home and playing Gloomhaven until midnight anyway. I did not play enough demos, so maybe I have got more in me than I did this time.

Played a ton of games... would’ve played more but I think in the main hall a lot of the game tests were being played from start to finish. Some folks were parked at Twilight imperium and fallout for agesss. I’d rather that main hall was used for demos where folks play a couple of rounds and moved on.

really enjoyed the tester sessions of Shadespire, Dark Souls card game, Village Attacks but my highlight from the show was probably Firefly Adventures, a cracking 1-5 skirmish type game but with really nice non combat options.

also, played out regular expo Sheriff of Nottingham... still brilliant.

on the way home now...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Congrats! What was the prize pool like?

Was it with the expansion or just the base game?

There was no prize pool :(

Just the base game. It took from around 11 until 5 as it was so I think with the expansion it wouldn’t of fitted into the day. I think I prefer it without anyway.

A lovely chilled weekend. Having been warned by @strawdonkey about the entry queues on Friday, we breezed straight in at 9.30 on Saturday!

Daughter came in top half of 7WD tournament, just pipped by @SimonC. The prize pools do seem to be a bit crap this year (although of course the prizes aren't the point ;)) - last year she got a load of lovely metal coins and other 7WD swag for coming in the top bracket. My only other gripe about the tournament was that they only allowed about 20 minutes for lunch, which meant no Meat Shack for us :angry:

Found a copy of Stronghold, which I've been after for a while. Played Dragon Castle which Mrs Padster also really enjoyed, so that's a definite purchase when it eventually comes out. Enjoyed Photosynthesis but there were none left to buy by late this afternoon so that goes on my general wishlist. Will also definitely be backing MicroBrew when that kickstarts later in the year.

Highlight for us was coming very late to the Pandemic party and absolutely loving it! We only played it because we tinkered with the app when we had 10 minutes to spare on Saturday, but a full game (ending of course in horrible viral oblivion) today led to a cheap purchase.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Padster said:

A lovely chilled weekend. Having been warned by @strawdonkey about the entry queues on Friday, we breezed straight in at 9.30 on Saturday!

Daughter came in top half of 7WD tournament, just pipped by @SimonC. The prize pools do seem to be a bit crap this year (although of course the prizes aren't the point ;)) - last year she got a load of lovely metal coins and other 7WD swag for coming in the top bracket. My only other gripe about the tournament was that they only allowed about 20 minutes for lunch, which meant no Meat Shack for us :angry:

Found a copy of Stronghold, which I've been after for a while. Played Dragon Castle which Mrs Padster also really enjoyed, so that's a definite purchase when it eventually comes out. Enjoyed Photosynthesis but there were none left to buy by late this afternoon so that goes on my general wishlist. Will also definitely be backing MicroBrew when that kickstarts later in the year.

Highlight for us was coming very late to the Pandemic party and absolutely loving it! We only played it because we tinkered with the app when we had 10 minutes to spare on Saturday, but a full game (ending of course in horrible viral oblivion) today led to a cheap purchase.

Glad you enjoyed MicroBrew, the company is run by my best pals aunt and uncle. Their previous game, Carcosa, is very good as well.

I actually played some games at stands today! House of Danger in Z-Man (fighting fantasy book but the chapters are on cards and you track things with tokens rather than write stuff down. Could be good, very price dependant on whether to get it or now)

Echidna Shuffle- move the monotremes around the board, really simple pick up and deliver game, but with big chunky echidnas and really fun.

Penguin Castle Mummy Game (not actual title) a hidden movement game where it's not actually hidden for one player because of magnets fun. Again another enjoyable family game

Also I can't believe I stood next to Moose and didn't say anything, I'm terrible at recognising people. Also you guys totally should have come up and chatted to me on the SUASD stand. Next time it'll be mandatory.

• Upvote 3

My swag this year ... I decided to treat myself after a wee rare bonus from work.

bnb 

Isle Of Skye

One Deck Dungeon

Curse Of The Mummy’s Tomb (my very first ‘real’ board game)

Cosmic Encounters (25 quid!)

normal retail

Hunt For The Ring

Shadespire

The Mind (loved this! And was only 9 quid)

a set of DnDice, dice mat and an RPG map book

happy days

What I will say about The Mind is that when it clicks, it’s a really cool moment.  However, me and my pals must be super tight and connected because on our third go we made it all the way to the end losing only 2 lives (both on the last level) and using no throwing stars.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mortis said:

or you’re all counting slowly in your heads :)

I’m stupidly hooked on his other game Ganz Schön Clever though. 

We naturally all worked that out but there was a cool moment when we did a run of 50, 51, 52, 55 between the 3 of us once we’d all internally worked it out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Padster said:

we breezed straight in at 9.30 on Saturday!

Ha! No way. If I'd known they'd fixed all the ticketing issues I'd have stuck around to chat a bit longer! Glad you didn't get caught in the ticket quagmire though. I bought and drank a giant coffee in half the time it took @Pelekophoros to queue for our tickets.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Also you guys totally should have come up and chatted to me on the SUASD stand. Next time it'll be mandatory.

I did :D @donpeartree and I asked you about SU&SDs schedule and I paid a fiver for a lucky dip. Just didn’t feel confident enough to drop the “I know you from Rllmuk!!” line :lol: I felt for you though, you must have been really bored at times! Glad you got time to play some games.

Oh man! You totally should have, I told Matt I used to run this place and he remembered it fondly, so it wouldn’t even have been that weird. I wasn’t bored, if there was no one to chat to I’d eat my picnic or look through the SU&SD free stuff. I had metaphorical itchy feet during the first day though, I missed all the bargains, but I’d do it again in a moment. Also it was looking lovely having a base with a chair and no pressure.

• Upvote 1

Had fun, only demo I played was

Starship Samurai 

As was on my list a game yet to come out. The stand only got the game on Friday. 

You have four actions taking one action then moving to the next player. The action tokens are 1,2,3 and 4 letting you do the action selected the #ammount of times. When everyone has played the 4 action tokens the round ends. 

Each round four areas on the map are planets with a certain clan that owns them. If you control a planet (most force in area) at the start of your turn you gain reputation for that clan  (or if you do not have any rep it goes down for the clan that has rep with them). It starts nutural then goes up, if somone is in favour of a clan you can move it down to neutral and back up to your control. So reputation is swinging up and down during turns based on where forces are placed/control. 

At the end of the round battle commences in areas with conflict. Just by number of power given by ships /gaint robots and playing a card. Winners claim the planet + 5 points and boost up rep track again. Then removes all ships from the sector - loosers gain nothing but can leave all ships in sector. You do this in all 4 areas then score based on the changing reputation track. Next round 4 new planets appear, rep track restarts. 

Was a fun game but the theme was not really strong for me, it could have been any theme really. 

Just going underground so will link images and post more later. 

Some of the price changing during the weekend is quite mental... I saw City of Kings for 60 quid, but I need to test that before hand as lovely as it looks, feedback is mixed. But by Sunday the one place that had it left had it at 120 quid. C’mon man.

It looks like the friend in fronts contactless didn’t go through and they they just added mine to it and I had both In my basket when I paid.

Dont mind that (although would if random guy) - just would have been annoyed if they doubled dipped etc 

On 03/06/2018 at 01:18, therearerules said:

What. A. Day. Spent the evening with the SUASD folk listening to slightly inebriated Martin Wallace anecdotes. Then played Newspeak with them and Heavy Cardboard and they loved it!

1508FD7B-CA05-4ECB-9596-876763218032.jpeg.58153272e2308542adda241f2a7dfd0c.jpeg

You got a mention on the latest Heavy Cardboard podcast.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

You got a mention on the latest Heavy Cardboard podcast.

Whoop whoop! Listened to it, really complementary, the game was called very clever. Also emphasised that everyone there, even Quinn, but less so Matt, had a lot of fun!

• Upvote 1

hqdefault.jpg.309e5a50fba537e36fabe33ec64b9cb5.jpg

We're nearly there again! Who's there?! What's your current wishlist?!

I'm going on the Friday with Donk and Moosegrinder (again, will I never learn?) AND I'm going on the Sunday with my wife and kid, because the latter said he really wanted to go and I want to encourage that.

I've pretty much gotten over my addiction to buying every boardgame going and have sold off a huge swathe of my barely-played collection (I've just replaced the addiction with GW minis tbh). That said, my current "I'm interested in this" wishlist seems to consist of:

Tokyo Highway

Vast

Root

Spring Meadow

Chronicles Of Crime

Waldschattenspiel

Pandemic Season 2 (though I've yet to finish S1)

and that's about it. Which is enough, tbh.

I'll be there, not sure which days yet.

The past couple of years has been pretty mad for expansions. I have no fewer than thirteen on my wishlist, so I'm thinking of limiting the number of new games I buy this year, and focus instead on the games I already know I enjoy. My wife caught me looking at Potion Explosion the other day and remarked how it looked fun, so I'll get that if I see it. I always try to pick something up I can enjoy with the kids too, so I'll be visiting the Haba stand to see what's new from them.

I've been umming and ahhing over the new Lord of the Rings game from FFG. My budget can't stretch to Gloomhaven and it looks like it might fill the minis-on-an-adventure gap in my collection.

21 minutes ago, revlob said:

I'll be there, not sure which days yet.

The past couple of years has been pretty mad for expansions. I have no fewer than thirteen on my wishlist, so I'm thinking of limiting the number of new games I buy this year, and focus instead on the games I already know I enjoy. My wife caught me looking at Potion Explosion the other day and remarked how it looked fun, so I'll get that if I see it. I always try to pick something up I can enjoy with the kids too, so I'll be visiting the Haba stand to see what's new from them.

I've been umming and ahhing over the new Lord of the Rings game from FFG. My budget can't stretch to Gloomhaven and it looks like it might fill the minis-on-an-adventure gap in my collection.

WELL, I happen to have a Gloomhaven I'm not using and shipping the bloody thing is going to be a nightmare so would you like to haggle?

It's great. You'll have a brilliant time. The show just keeps on growing and improving. I can only get there on the Sunday this year but I'll be trucking some stuff over to the bring and buy and then wandering the halls trying to get some demos in. We played loads of games last year and came away with 14 purchases. Other half loved it as well which was fantastic, she was instrumental in at least half of the purchases that we made. 

I can't wait, we had a quick visit to Airecon recently to get us in the mood.

Gah. Booked a business trip to the UK flying back from Heathrow early on Saturday morning. If only I'd known this was on I'd have given myself an extra few days!