Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Nintendo Switch Release April 23

Okay I’m trying to like this game, but Jesus Christ. When it’s saving what does it actually save, because I appear to have just lost an hour of gameplay by loading last checkpoint after the game repeatedly saved on the excursion.

And why is there so much crap to pick up? And am I okay to sell everything? All I really want to do is climb enemies and fire arrows. Also what’s a good level for under the well?

46 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Okay I’m trying to like this game, but Jesus Christ. When it’s saving what does it actually save, because I appear to have just lost an hour of gameplay by loading last checkpoint after the game repeatedly saved on the excursion.

There's something wonky about the way the saving works. I lost a couple of hours to that. But then when it happened again I went back to the main menu and continued from there and it still loaded the most recent autosave.

You should always manual save whenever possible.

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Save_Game

There are three main ways saves are made :

Checkpoint Saves

Checkpoint saves are always made either when sleeping at an Inn or Rest Camp, or when entering a Riftstone.

Additionally automatic checkpoint saves are made at key points in the Main Quest and after purchasing items from Johnathan at his Rift Shop as well as after purchasing the Maker's Finger and haircutting.

Once a checkpoint save is made, no earlier point in the game can be returned to as the checkpoint save also overwrites the "soft save".

Shooting the Maker's Finger arrow overwrites even the checkpoint save - once one is used there is no way to return to a previous save if it missed.

Automatic Saves

In addition to automatic quest related checkpoint saves, "soft saves" are also made automatically at a variety of points. These include :

Entering or exiting locations (depends on location)

Traveling by Ferrystone (depends on location)

Completing quests

Receiving some quests

Some points in quest progress

Restoring a broken riftstone

When not a checkpoint save, an automatic save overwrites the most recent "soft-save" including any manual save made.

Manual Saves

Manual saves can be made via the Menu. There is an option to either quit and save, or save and continue.

Manual saves can be made at any time, provided one is out of combat. Manual saves overwrite automatic soft saves, and vice-versa.

If memory serves, manually saving overwrites everything else, and is guaranteed to not lose any progress.

Edit: Remembered that the issue I think you may be having is loading from checkpoint, not from your actual save. Do not do this, unless the game recently saved (at an inn for example), or you will likely lose progress.

If you are wandering about in the same area without hitting a loading screen (these are mainly inside dungeons or changing locations) then your game will not save unless you do it manually.

Ok, still really want to like it, but I’m getting bogged down with the boring stuff. Will I miss out if I turn the difficulty to easy and ignore all the pissy loot? I’m not sure who decided meat needed to be manually stored in airtight containers using that menu, or why I need so much crap to upgrade weapons, but someone ought to have stopped them.

• 1 month later...

Started this other day on The Switch. Trying not to panic in regards of feeling overwhelmed by it all. Don’t really understand what is going on in regards of adding abilities/attacks. I seem to be collecting tonnes of junk but no idea of it is useful or not! Ended up on that Island (Bitterbeck?), but did a runner after it warned me off. I have two pawns, I am a mage who seems to have the most feeble attack going and by the time I have powered up one of my more powerful attacks the action is over!

Relieved to have seen that other people have found the start a bit confusing. 

59 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Started this other day on The Switch. Trying not to panic in regards of feeling overwhelmed by it all. Don’t really understand what is going on in regards of adding abilities/attacks. I seem to be collecting tonnes of junk but no idea of it is useful or not! Ended up on that Island (Bitterbeck?), but did a runner after it warned me off. I have two pawns, I am a mage who seems to have the most feeble attack going and by the time I have powered up one of my more powerful attacks the action is over!

Relieved to have seen that other people have found the start a bit confusing. 

Mages can do serious damage, but I found the Strider to be a more immediate class for just having a great time with the combat. Feel free to experiment with the classes some and find your niche. 

Mages can be crazy boss killers, mind. Later spells seriously annihilate things, though they'll always need a decent charge time to pull off.

Cheers, @Kayin Amoh

I want to persevere with the mage, as my go to class in these types of games is usually the more fighter based classes. 

I am I right in thinking the mage has no real defence? Some bandits at a top of a hall just seem to wipe out me and my party in seconds.

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

Those bandits are pretty hard at the start, you might need to level a bit before taking them on.

Good plan, I channelled my inner Brave Sir Robin and ran away to deliver some flowers as a side quest.

• 1 month later...
On 13/03/2020 at 07:39, Nathan Wind said:

Yes, the first part does everything in its power to convince you it's going to be a bland and generic fantasy RPG, rather than one of the greatest games ever made.

Nope, never developed passed bland and generic for me, with a boring, lifeless world and uninteresting quests (plenty of fetch quests if I recall too, just referencing the thread about open world games). I did complete it though and, back when I cared about achievements, intended to get all of them but gave up about half-way through the second playthrough.

I found the pawn idea interesting, but ultimately a bit shallow, too and the fact nobody has bothered to take that idea further (along with Shadow of Mordor's system) gives me the impression it wasn't ever really considered all that much of a game changer.

What was nice was the visceral combat, though it was nowhere near enough to carry the game.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I found the pawn idea interesting, but ultimately a bit shallow, too and the fact nobody has bothered to take that idea further (along with Shadow of Mordor's system) gives me the impression it wasn't ever really considered all that much of a game changer.

Which is so odd to me. I had visions (I may have even posted them in here years ago) of it taking off massively and every genre nabbing it - for instance your Create a Player appearing on a virtual transfer market in FIFA, your Pokémon Master hanging about in long grass or your custom shootyman available in teams even when you're not playing.  Hey ho.

2 hours ago, friedgold said:

Which is so odd to me. I had visions (I may have even posted them in here years ago) of it taking off massively and every genre nabbing it - for instance your Create a Player appearing on a virtual transfer market in FIFA, your Pokémon Master hanging about in long grass or your custom shootyman available in teams even when you're not playing.  Hey ho.

That's what everybody said about the Shadow of Mordor 'Nemesis' system too, and nobody else has ever cared to do anything similar to it either.

I think with more build variety the pawn system could've been a bit more interesting (along with better abilities for them to learn - perhaps include things the player can't do, so as to make having them more valuable). As it was, they didn't feel all that much different to standard NPC helpers in the end - unless you looked really hard to see the differentiators.

Despite thinking DD was incredibly overrated and ultimately coming to really rather dislike it, I'd be interested to see what direction a sequel would take.

Triple dipped this for £7.99 in the PSN sale last night, rude not to at that price.

Anyone care to add me to PSN so I can get some better Pawns pls?

ta

• 3 months later...

Just came in for the same reason. This is such exciting news, hope it turns out to be an actual proper sequel (and not some GaaS shite or other deviation from the original template).