Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Nintendo Switch Release April 23

3 hours ago, Rikku said:

I’m really itching to pick this up, but with a Divinity 2 Playthrough underway I’m going to do the sensible thing and wait. I mean I don’t need this again. Right?! :(

I was in the same boat. Now I've forgotten what the hell I was doing in Divinity 2. Beast was.. uh... in a graveyard, and...

... oh hey, just snagged a Coat of Oblivion from a cursed Bitterblack item! Nice.

I loaded up my last save yesterday and it was right before a troubling foe indeed!

Spoiler

The Beholder rip-off you need to kill to 'unlock' the Everfall proper. I'm not convinced I'm levelled adequately for the Everfall. My weapons did very little damage even when it's shield was down. Also, not being able to remember how to play didn't help.

Am I to become...a living statue?  A good excuse to begin afresh, if ever there was one.

8 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I loaded up my last save yesterday and it was right before a troubling foe indeed!

Reveal hidden contents

The Beholder rip-off you need to kill to 'unlock' the Everfall proper. I'm not convinced I'm levelled adequately for the Everfall. My weapons did very little damage even when it's shield was down. Also, not being able to remember how to play didn't help.

Am I to become...a living statue?  A good excuse to begin afresh, if ever there was one.

If you're a melee character, be a good idea to start stocking up on Conqueror's Priapts. Fournival sells unlimited quantities of them. When you go to Bitterblack, you pretty much need them for certain enemies or they'll take forever to kill and wipe you out in a couple of hits.

Though yeah - get the remaster on PC, PS4 or One and restart. It's a joyous experience.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get this again, but then I've bought it 4 times already (twice on 360. once on PS3, once on PC) and still never finished it which is odd considering how much I enjoy playing it. Every time I've been distracted by some other game coming along and put DD down for too long. When I go back, I dunno what I was doing. This time though, the main thing stopping me is Divinity 2 and the fact the disc drive on my PS4 is dodgy meaning I'd have to go digital.

Hmmmmm....

• 1 month later...

So I've bought this game twice previously on the Xbox, tried to get into it but it never really clicked. I bought it again on the PS4 on a whim (ie. it's cheap) and I can finally see what the fuss was all about :)

The game does struggle to explain how the various systems work and some quests need a wiki to understand what to do next but when it works it is fantastic especially when you get a decent pawn setup and fight some of the larger monsters.

Doesn't it just! After getting my arse handed to me repeatedly  I went away and levelled up, re-specced my Main Pawn and formed a new team. We went stomping down the Everfall last night on the main quest (Switch has occupied almost all my gaming time lately so I'm well behind) and it was glorious - I was providing range cover, my Nick Cave lookalike Fighter (the lanky, haughty and aggressive 'Grinderman') flinging himself into the fray and my 2 Sorcerer summoned Pawns lighting the place up with lightning from the ceiling and walls of flame from the floor. 

It was brilliant and after a tricky  start (I don't recall it being this difficult on 360, but I'm older now...) reminded me of why I fell so hard for this on original release.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Wonder if this will come to the Nintendo Switch at some point. Capcom seems to want to bring more of its older titles to the system, and with this out on PS4/Xbone (along with the PC), it could well happen.

Portable Dragons Dogma? Would work surprisingly well I'd say.

• Upvote 2
  • 10 months later...

Completed this half a million times already, will own again. Trailer's not as good as some of their previous ones (the dialogue is NOT what makes this a masterwork all, you can't go wrong) but it's Dragon's Dogma and portable. I guess they can't use this one any more due to licensing though. Grr.

Gimmie. Now.

There's a few spikes playing normally, but they're not particularly nasty ones. Hell, you can get awesome gear super fast if you're inclined to make things easier for yourself, and the easy difficulty lives up to its name with a far more generous health pool.

Bitterblack's a bit more challenging (DLC dungeon, superb additional content) but again, once you start scoring decent gear it becomes way more manageable. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Stanley said:

What's the difficulty level like? I've always imagined it to be a kind of cross between Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

I generally suck at games but completed this on normal and then got nearly 2/3rds of the way on Hard (before getting very bored) and never really found it very challenging - good pawns help massively, of course. There are a couple of spikes here and there but generally it is all very manageable with some good understanding of the skills at your disposal.

Despite spending upwards of about 80 hours on it, I still don't think it was very good (not that you asked) and I'm always a little surprised at how much it is loved here. I viewed the pawns a bit like the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor - a curio, but wasn't actually that good in practice; that wasn't helped by the fact that certain skills were trash and so you had a massive amount of identikit pawns to hunt through (and the search system was awful, if I remember).

The actual hacking and slashing did feel satisfying though (mages were nowhere near as fun to play because of the obscenely long cast times, though there were some good glass cannon builds I think) so with some improvements I'd definitely be interested in a sequel.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

It's definitely a game that's greater than the sum of its parts. I hated it on PS3. It felt clunky, performance was terrible, there was loads of back tracking. Genuinely couldn't understand the goodwill towards it. I had a better time with Piranha Bytes Euro jank rpgs.

But then something on the PC version clicked with me. The smooth frame rates allowed me to appreciate the combat more and I found myself getting a rhythm with it and had a great time. There's still too much backtracking and wandering around, but it's definitely a game people should give a second chance.