rllmuk
The Sarge

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Nintendo Switch Release April 23

There's been plenty of previewers mentioning that the game's tough enough, and Spainkiller's mentioned that you can tell your pawns to shut up.

I dunno. The game might end up being arse, but as Clarke mentioned up there, there's been some awesome games with terrible demos that don't do them justice at all. Binary Domain's the best game I've played this year, and the demo was little more than another example of 'okay, it's a shooter'.

This demo literally shows nothing of the game's potential strengths, which is the adventure element. You don't adventure, you just stab a few idiots in an arena and a corridor setting.

Yeah this demo has completely killed my interest in the game. Combat is a mess, the HUD is far too intrusive (especially when every single member of your party decides to talk one after the other), graphically it looks average and what the hell is with those big black bars on the screen?

That was a little underwhelming unfortunately after quite looking forward to this. The combat's OK preferred the archer from the second part, but as mentioned the controls just feel a little convoluted. Might become more instinctive after some time spent with it, hopefully a little less button mash. I'm missing an easy dodge button, it's just not an easy quick reaction button press, it really needs to be mapped to O/B.

It's not a real looker, certainly don't want to be sat too close to the TV screen. Quick comparison of the PS3 and 360 demo they looked pretty much the same, except for some tearing on the 360 version.

I was all set for day 1 with this but not quite so sure now, especially with Diablo III a week before, might wait for a price drop. Will be the PS3 version though, as for me as my fingers naturally rest on the bumper buttons so it's easier to access the abilities from them.

I suspect the real thing will be far more involving due to playing as a character you're actually invested in, and one that isn't overpowered. No doubt if you tried a Skyrim demo that dumped you into a dungeon with a preset class you'd be left equally underwhelmed.

I've only played the 360 version so far, but it really loves to tear; I may go with the reportedly lower framerate of the PS3 build just to avoid it. The black borders are rather more egregious than I was anticipating, too: I'm playing on a monitor with no overscan, the bars taking up about twice as much real estate as I'd like.

In more DLC related madness, it looks like you can get a code for eight extra quests for this by simply buying a frigging new chrome 360 controller!

I mean whatever next! :(

The black borders are rather more egregious than I was anticipating, too: I'm playing on a monitor with no overscan, the bars taking up about twice as much real estate as I'd like.

I was shocked at how big they are. A huge amount of screen real estate painted black.

The tearing is also pretty terrible, as is the gradient on the night time sky box, really clear bands of colour. Looks pretty terrible.

I didn't mind the demo, but it gave nothing away. Massive tease when you get dropped in the outdoor area, only to walk into a massive invisible wall. What made it worse was the fact that your pawns weren't restricted by this, nor was the Griffin.

It's also dumbfounding that its the same company who make Monster Hunter, and they can't replicate that sense of weight and power you get from smashing a large foe round the head with an axe.

Oh :(

Played it again a few times and it's fucking brilliant, raining down fire arrows just like the new bow attack in Monster Hunter portable 3rd then leaping on the back of a burning Griffin and having him plunge to the ground in a great big fiery heap. I think the combat feels pretty meaty, yeah it's not the connection you get with MH when whacking something in the face with a hammer but it feels pretty good to me. I love the menus and art as well, it's not as bland as some of the vids looked.

Very excited for this, and with Diablo coming out around the same time, 2 perfect games for me.

• Upvote 1

I was shocked at how big they are. A huge amount of screen real estate painted black.

The tearing is also pretty terrible, as is the gradient on the night time sky box, really clear bands of colour. Looks pretty terrible.

re the letterboxing - with the amount of stuff the engine is chucking around I can understand.

re the tearing - it's like RE5 - turn down the resolution and it gets better.

Yeah, I liked it. It didn't put me off the full game anyway.

I hope they fix that tearing though, that is pretty poor. Is it a 360-only problem? I'd prefer to get the 360 version, but that's a pretty good reason not to.

Well, I completely hated that enough to not even bother finishing the prologue bit of the demo. Found the combat poor, weightless and confusing (largely due to everyone else vying for your attention all the time). Rubbish. Comedy implementation of the "run" button too, where you go from snails pace to Usain Bolt with the click of a stick. Ridiculous.

I certainly dont think you can totally dismiss the game based on the demo.. for a start it only gives you a couple of very brief action setpieces to tackle.. It doesnt give you any indication of how the "deeper" elements of the game will work. Like the Pawn progression, the Town "Hubs", Day/Night Cycle etc.

As it stands the combat seemed to hold up really well I thought.. and loved the SoTC ability of hanging onto the enemies.

Its still a potential day one for me, although I'm still concerned over how dilluted the main game is going to be, due to all the DLC thats been mentioned!

My only real actual gripe is the character text on the left had side being far too intrusive (took up about half the screen at one point).. didnt look to see if you can turn it off, but I bloody hope so.

You can turn off the character text from the menu. You can also disable the control display I think.

I really liked the combat. Holding RB to initiate special weapon actions was fine, and as you still have the freedom to move and sprint when doing so I didn't find it a problem. I believe only the thief/archer class has a dodge (the warrior is expected to use their shield), so I guess that explains why it's an RB+A action.

The combat felt weighty to me, the only issue I had with it was the lack of a lock-on, and the moments in mid battle where the action halts to show a close up of a pawn pinning an enemy for you - hopefully you can elect to turn those off. When you fire a Full Bend arrow into a goblin's chest you get a real sense of it connecting, and clambering onto the Chimera and hacking off the tail was great.

• Upvote 1

So what's the deal with this then? Just tried the mission where you shoot a griffin and have a bow and greatly enjoyed it but... is this like a pretend WoW where you have a healer tank etc as your 'pawns'? If so seems like it might be ace fun.

Although they best remove the letter boxing there really is no excuse for that in this day and age.

Although they best remove the letter boxing there really is no excuse for that in this day and age.

They won't be.

I thought this was pretty ace. The demo is as short as fuck - but I could see the potential clearly. And now the blessed Risen 2 has fallen even further into the future - this is back on the pre-order menu.

Predictably, I downloaded it after all, and enjoyed the hell out of it. :) The gryphon fight was suitably epic, the graphics are better than I feared and the character creation is insanely detailed. Day one, easy!

I loved it too. Didn't even notice letterboxing, till I read it again on here. How could they think the onscreen pawn dialogue subtitles was a good idea though

I enjoyed the demo enough to keep an eye on this. Character creation was nice and comprehensive - and I agree with Melon-Bread that it felt very Monster Hunter-ish. Combat was a bit chaotic in the demo but I assume in the full game you're not going to have several AI buddies with you yammering all the time.

You know what's an even better idea - giving players the choice of having the pawn subtitles on or off. Just like they do in this game!

Doesn't anyone check the options screen in games anymore? Imagine if you'd never heard the amazing options screen music in Waverace 64, because you'd never looked in there!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No Corleth, a better idea would be for Capcom to tune the game dialogue down so that the sheer amount of NPC yammering doesn't make the subtitles 'on' option a constant stream of graphics onscreen.

What is with Capcpom and their insistence on AI buddies this generation? I appreciate that turning off their dialogue is enough for some, but their very presence spoils a game for me. Either let me play co-op with a real human being, or just let me play the game without friendly bots getting in my way if nobody wants to play with me (it happens).