rllmuk
The Sarge

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Nintendo Switch Release April 23

I don't know about you, man, but I only need to hear stuff like that only once. I am not exaggerating when I say that I've heard that single piece of advice HUNDREDS of times by now.

I had a lot of popup too. And stuff like disappearing seagulls. I'm not very fuzzed about that kind of stuff though, but I can see how some people find it very annoying.

It can only be an issue for me if it's constant. Having rocks and trees appear in front of me as I play is far from ideal for me.

this is looking like my first post skyrim rpg :) i don't care about the size of the world as long as they squeeze a lot into it, i'm hoping for a lively universe rather than the sometimes dull and very empty universes of the elder scrolls games. This generation is looking to certainly be host to the golden age of western RPG's.

this is looking like my first post skyrim rpg :) i don't care about the size of the world as long as they squeeze a lot into it, i'm hoping for a lively universe rather than the sometimes dull and very empty universes of the elder scrolls games. This generation is looking to certainly be host to the golden age of western RPG's.

True 'dat, although they are a pretty varied bunch under this single classification. If you like a lot of content stuffed into relatively compact playing areas you would do well to take a look at Divine Divinity II or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, both of which have demos available.

Just remember if you ever become interested in Divinity 2 it's the Dragon Knight Saga version you want. Not the original version released as this version fixed up the Divinity 2 game with better balancing and more content as well as giving you the expansion Flames Of Vengeance too.

The demo is up on the JP PS3 store now, easy to find as it's on one of the front rotating panes. Also read the demo is in English.

The demo is up on the JP PS3 store now, easy to find as it's on one of the front rotating panes. Also read the demo is in English.

I can confirm that the demo is in English, it also allows you to import a character you create in the demo into the full game. As for the demo itself, I'll just say it's definitely not for me and leave it at that :P

I haven't tried it yet, but I know a few people including Mr. Gerbik who've been put clean off by the demo.

However, the same happened to me with Vanquish and Bulletstorm, so I'm going to give the full retail release a chance regardless - though maybe not at full price.

I've just played both parts of the 360 demo. 'Disappointed' is probably the nicest word i can come up with right now.

Demons/Dark Souls comparisons are always gonna come up, so i'll re-iterate that 'no game will match those for 3rd person combat', so we can get that out of the way and concentrate on this:

The standard hack-slash stuff is average at best. Reminds me of 'Hunted:Demons Forge', which wasn't a bad game per se. Doesn't help i've just come off 30+ hours of Witcher 2, who's combat i really enjoyed, depsite some naysayers. It's also dumbfounding that its the same company who make Monster Hunter, and they can't replicate that sense of weight and power you get from smashing a large foe round the head with an axe.

The three A.I. opponents just got in the way (like a free-for-all), and their dialogue did my tits in after 10 mins of demo, so God knows how i'd deal with them for a full campaign (options maybe, lol).

Both bosses were very lame after what looked like pretty exciting encounters based on the preview vids.

Graphics are passable at best (but again, i've been spoilt by Witcher 2).

Most of all the control scheme seemed convoluted and/or over-complicated - WHY OH WHY is evade mapped to (hold) RB + A + Direction. When the B button is unassigned during combat!? Its fucking madness! :facepalm:

I've no doubt the demo doesn't do the full product justice, and i fancied a good moan, so unfortunately this demo has taken the brunt of it.

I know for a fact i'll buy it anyway, and moan that i'd have preferred no A.I. pawns, and to fly solo (i say that about every game with forced A.I. companions). They should've dropped the open-world business, and chopped it up into smaller areas, then let you play online with 3 mates. Missed opportunity methinks.

Oh well. Enough moaning for now... :blah:

• Upvote 1

Most of all the control scheme seemed convoluted and/or over-complicated - WHY OH WHY is evade mapped to (hold) RB + A + Direction. When the B button is unassigned during combat!? Its fucking madness! :facepalm:

This was the same configuration as used in the Devil May Cry HD reissue - awkward to put it mildly.

Oh well, it's been an exceptional run recently so I suppose some disappointment was overdue.

I've just played through both sections. I honestly feel that this demo's a poor indication of what the main game's really about - the combat's okay, but nothing to write home about. It's undoubtedly a lot of the supporting stuff that'll really make or break the game.

The demo's also incredibly stingy - I finished off the Griffin in no more than two minutes first time out.

Despite it being stingy and short it doesn't inspire confidence. There is no meatiness to the combat.. It is also far too easy, taking down both enemies without dying is a world away from what we will all be comparing this to.

Unimpressed/10