rllmuk
Moz

Valve - Soon Shipping Other Companies' Games Again

2 hours ago, Moz said:

All the guys leaving valve are going to start a new company and make HL3 with Gabes blessing via Kickstarter. Can you even imagine how much they would raise.

An enormous stink?

There will be no more Half-Life games. Valve knows this. In our hearts, we know this. The only reason they don't put everyone out of their misery is because the modest public-awareness benefits of the legend are infinitely preferable to the shitshow of a reaction they'd get out of the modern internet if they let on.

• Upvote 5

At this point it would effectively be almost like a different developer entirely and with how games have changed so much I feel like they would have to learn how to make a half life game from the ground up before even working out how to make it as fresh or groundbreaking as most other single player games they have made have been. 

But in truth, Half Life is dead. They might conceivably make another portal thing, maybe. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Half Life 2 was just so fucking good though. Valve have been real dicks pissing it away.

I mean, this is it in a nutshell really. 

It's a tragedy. 

• Upvote 2

Its kind of heartbreaking.  HL2 is my favorite single player game ever.  City 17 felt so believable and realized - I remember the music ramping up early in the game when escaping and panicking at the keyboard while trying to escape. We just want to finish the story, i dont want HL3, 4, 5etc. 

• Upvote 4

Random aside that I may have already mentioned, the TV show Colony riffs on Half Life 2 and is surprisingly good to boot.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Majora said:

Remember when between late 2007 and early 2011 Valve released Half Life Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2? :(

What happened to them as a whole, not just what happened to Half Life, is a fucking travesty, and no I don't care how much money they make or how popular DOTA and CS are. 

I don't mind CS, but DOTA is just some bizarre vanity project of Gabes I don't care about. 

Didn't someone find his profile on Steam from a Dota game? and it said 'never stop lying' haha. 

Edit: 

Gabes account btw.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/gabelogannewell

1 hour ago, Moz said:

Random aside that I may have already mentioned, the TV show Colony riffs on Half Life 2 and is surprisingly good to boot.

Does that mean it doesn't have an ending?

4 hours ago, Moz said:

Thanks for the recommendation, just watched the first episode and hooked already.  Definitely doesn't hide its inspirations either :lol:

I feel like using rude language to describe how I feel about Valve but what's the point. They have gone from being one of the absolute best developers ever to being a joke. All this Half Life nonsense is pure wank. It's self gratification from people who really should be better than that and what about that Steam console? Yeah that worked out well you deluded pricks. You really thought you could compete with those huge corporations with an 'innovative' controller and a half baked version of Steam for the TV? Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fuuuuuuuck offffff....

Steam is a shitshow these days. DRM that a fart would crack, no quality control, no moderation. Decent indie titles getting lost in the constant wave of bile.

2 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Fuuuuuuuck offffff....

Steam is a shitshow these days. DRM that a fart would crack, no quality control, no moderation. Decent indie titles getting lost in the constant wave of bile.

You say that but they've been making efforts to change stuff and bringing in some of the biggest media people (Youtubers in particular) to show what's coming and what's changing. They are listening.

Even if we don't get Half Life 3, we really should get the story of why Half Life 3 didn't happen. Because it really doesn't make sense from the outside. It's not like they couldn't afford to develop it, they didn't have the talent available to make it, or that there wasn't an obvious profit-generating audience ready to receive it. I understand how you might want a break, how maybe you even begin to loathe it like a band always being requested to play the same song, but to just leave it in a room to die - such an amazing franchise with so much love and so much story to tell - to not even set up a hungry new team to go prove themselves, or hand it over for a legacy spin off to some talented outside developer, to just lock it away and let no one do anything - I find it baffling and actually quite mad.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mentazm said:

So why bother every trying anything? I'm still on valves side, because Steam. It can't be easy to keep that running.

Steam has nothing to do with why Valve aren't making Half Life 3, or Portal 3, or Left 4 Dead 3, or an interesting new IP. They're not making them because they can make more money from players with microtransactions in their glorified skinner boxes. They're the textbook example of a company selling out once they saw the dollar signs.

To be fair, they did flat out tell us they were going to do this. Around the time Portal 2 was released they said that it was the last traditional game release they were ever going to do. And they were right. They have no interest in putting out a single player campaign or static boxed product anymore. Which is a crying shame because they could, at one time, have laid claim to being the best single-player developers in the world. The Left 4 Dead franchise probably has the best chance of being resurrected out of all of them, but only if they can find a way to turn it into more of a 'service', monetise it effectively and pump it full of microtransaction opportunities, which is probably the biggest obstacle they face with it.

There's a reason all the old writers have left, and that's because there's nothing worth writing at Valve now. They may as well get out while they're still have time left in their career to actually use their talents on something worthwhile. Valve as they used to be are dead. They're now content to rake in the money from Steam, microtransactions and indulge themselves in expensive, niche, vanity hardware products. It's a terrible shame things turned out this way but it's the reality. 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, barkbat said:

Even if we don't get Half Life 3, we really should get the story of why Half Life 3 didn't happen. Because it really doesn't make sense from the outside. It's not like they couldn't afford to develop it, they didn't have the talent available to make it, or that there wasn't an obvious profit-generating audience ready to receive it. I understand how you might want a break, how maybe you even begin to loathe it like a band always being requested to play the same song, but to just leave it in a room to die - such an amazing franchise with so much love and so much story to tell - to not even set up a hungry new team to go prove themselves, or hand it over for a legacy spin off to some talented outside developer, to just lock it away and let no one do anything - I find it baffling and actually quite mad.

Like I said before, it's just a money thing. They'd rather invest in something that can potentially make them more money over a long period of time than a one-off single-player game that takes several years to develop. It's nothing to do with waiting for the right piece of new technology or revolutionary gameplay mechanic to justify another entry. 

As for why they've never said anything about Half Life for years, I suspect they just can't be arsed with the backlash of formally coming out and saying that they just don't want to finish the series. It's gone on for too long now. As it is, most people have accepted it's dead without them having to deal with actually saying that it is, or why that's the case. Just keep bluffing until everyone has reached the acceptance stage rather than cause a shit storm.

I wonder whether the reality of the last decade will ever surface though. Are ex-employees bound to remain quiet?

If not I'd imagine someone will eventually tell. If that doesn't happen then perhaps there really isn't much of a tale anyway.

22 minutes ago, Majora said:

Valve as they used to be are dead. They're now content to rake in the money from Steam, microtransactions and indulge themselves in expensive, niche, vanity hardware products. It's a terrible shame things turned out this way but it's the reality. 

Hence predicting End of Days over the windows store, although GOG is surely more of a competitor at the moment.

It'll probably end up like Star Wars and Lucasfilm.

In the end Steam will wither to some competitor service, Vive will be out-muscled by Facebook, Valve as a company will look spent, and someone will swoop in with a big buy out offer for all those IPs. With Valve so anti-Microsoft, it wouldn't be crazy to imagine someone like Sony or Apple one day doing a deal with gabe.

21 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Does that mean it doesn't have an ending?

Amazingly, the third series was announced last week.

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

It'll probably end up like Star Wars and Lucasfilm.

In the end Steam will wither to some competitor service, Vive will be out-muscled by Facebook, Valve as a company will look spent, and someone will swoop in with a big buy out offer for all those IPs. With Valve so anti-Microsoft, it wouldn't be crazy to imagine someone like Sony or Apple one day doing a deal with gabe.

Tencent is worth 300 billion. They own League of Legends creators Riot games, and the clash of clans guys. They also have stakes in Activision Blizzard and Epic. They recently announced plans for a global games distribution platform called wegame, which is coming to the West:

Screenshot_2017_04_17_10.37.51.png

No joke, these guys could buy Valve/Steam just to shut it down in a heartbeat, if it were for sale.