rllmuk
Moz

Valve - Hell freezes over - Valve announce Half Life: Alyx VR

Love Half Life. Love Alyx. I think I've used VR a handful of times, and I don't intend to purchase any VR hardware for the foreseeable future. 

I hope there’s a way mere mortals can play it...the old fashioned way. 

Remember when they made Half-Life Arcade? It's not the first time they've adapted HL to a different format. Maybe they'll have the experience available in one of the now dwindling VR cafes around the country.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Pixelated Ben said:

One of my favourite moments playing the original Half-Life was early in the game when the shit hits the fan and the science labs are falling apart, there is a set-piece moment when Gordon approaches a lift-shaft. A lift plummets past to its doom, loaded with about-to-die scientists but - hilariously - as it shot past me, one of the scientists said (in their deadpan voice), "Hello Gordon". 

• Upvote 5

On 19/11/2019 at 15:54, Pixelated Ben said:

I just want Half-Life 3 with exactly the same graphics engine etc as HL2. I'm happy with that. Keep it old school, thanks.

Yeah i agree, and the mechanics of an outdated generic late 90s shooter as well. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

God, I still LOVE IT!

Goes off to install it for the millionth time...

• Upvote 2

I had a VR headset for a while. I found the clumsy analogue mechanics of most of the games just pushed me really hard into playing card games and board games instead. So I understand why Valve are doing what they’re doing but I really don’t give a shit  

Yeah it is, he retweeted the announcement.

It does seem like possibly In the Valley of Gods may be on hold or cancelled, since Campo Santo have been working on HL:A

On 19/11/2019 at 10:54, matt0 said:

Two short lists:

Things this could be:

• Pretty much anything.

Things this probably won't be:

• What you want.

This is a bit like when I said that Shenmue 3 was never going to happen.

Looked like a run of the mill VR shooter. Maybe there are some 'check this cool shit out' videos coming later.

8 hours ago, yashiro said:

Looked like a run of the mill VR shooter. Maybe there are some 'check this cool shit out' videos coming later.

I didn't get that vibe from it at all, it looked like a modern take on Half Life 2, with added VR hand manipulation stuff. Watching the video I had a full on eating my own words moment.

• Upvote 3

Apparently this is what F-Stop was going to be:

https://exposure.lunchhouse.software/

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/4/21049466/portal-f-stop-demo-video-valve-lunchhouse-software-aperture-camera-prequel-gameplay

The video description says that they (LunchHouse Software) officially acquired the code from Valve and received permission to use it for their project, which seems like an unusual thing to happen - but Polygon and RPS seem to be convinced. Hmmm. :unsure:

"Exposure" seems to be the title of their video series demonstrating the mechanics. The description says that the title was not "F-Stop" but "Aperture Camera" (to match Aperture Science).

Coincidence that it should turn up online at around the same time as this unrelated puzzle game photography mechanic:

• Upvote 3

That doesn't strike me as a particularly interesting mechanic, although it's maybe that "getting item from the environment and then being able to place it" has been in so many things since Minecraft it's mundane now, and before it would have been a revelation?

• Upvote 2

Can you look in mirrors in this. It seems to much that was always much of this character's appeal.

16 hours ago, Nick R said:

Apparently this is what F-Stop was going to be:

https://exposure.lunchhouse.software/

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/4/21049466/portal-f-stop-demo-video-valve-lunchhouse-software-aperture-camera-prequel-gameplay

The video description says that they (LunchHouse Software) officially acquired the code from Valve and received permission to use it for their project, which seems like an unusual thing to happen - but Polygon and RPS seem to be convinced. Hmmm. :unsure:

"Exposure" seems to be the title of their video series demonstrating the mechanics. The description says that the title was not "F-Stop" but "Aperture Camera" (to match Aperture Science).

Coincidence that it should turn up online at around the same time as this unrelated puzzle game photography mechanic:

After all this time, that's it? That's really unimpressive. I always thought F-Stop was going to be some perspective shifting thing like Superliminal: 

19 hours ago, Nick R said:

I think it’s more like direct causation. When Valve originally mentioned the project all they really said was that the Portal team messed around with another mechanic. They thought it was cool but it never got developed into a full project. When asked what the mechanic was, the answer was basically that they thought it was cool and unique so they weren’t going to discuss it just in case h they wanted to use it later. 

So once an indie dev comes up with the same idea independently, there’s immediately no real reason for Valve to sit on it any more.