rllmuk
Moz

Valve - Hell freezes over - Valve announce Half Life: Alyx VR

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Prediction: you play as Alyx as a child during the 7 hour war and getting the fuck out of black Mesa with your Dad. You will watch your in game mum die in VR.

Valve's next Half Life game just ripping off Call of Duty would be perfect. 

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

It's interesting that this is a game specifically where you play Alyx, who is a known and much loved character, and not Gordon who is a silent cypher.

I wonder if we are going to have a VR equivalent to adventure game dialogue trees - the ability to communicate through gesture and behaviour in ways that determine how we respond to certain characters and the conversations that then happen. A crude example, tap someone on the shoulder to get their attention, point to indicate where you want them to go, push people away to instigate a fight, high five or shake hands to show agreement. Perhaps it could be more subtle - clench fist to get aggressive, thumbs up to agree, etc. Whatever it turns out to be, I expect character interaction is going to be a big part of this game and that is why we are Alyx this time.

Has anything been confirmed about you actually playing as Alyx? I mean, that’s just the title.

Maybe you play as Dog and assist Alyx? Seems like that would be a better fit for VR, both mechanically and in terms of carrying on the lineage of HL2's interaction with more human, emotive NPCs.

1 hour ago, K said:

Imagine playing a girl in a videogame. Just imagine it! Why, the cartridge would probably be pink! 

"Willst thou get the girl, or play like one?"

Yess at last.  I’ve been awaiting news of one the full fat VR games Valve has been cooking.  It’s likely this is going to a high fidelity game to show off the Valve index hardware and valve controller so I doubt this will run on a stand-alone Quest (maybe via Oculus link?) or PSVR.  We’ll see on Thursday.

• Upvote 1

Given the brutal motion sickness Half Life 2 gave me, the opportunity to play in VR will be the most vomitous thing ever. I'm out. I mean, I don't have any kind of VR setup, so I was never in, but i'm definitely out.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Very strange how unexcited this has made me. 

If they’d said it was a ‘normal’ game without VR, released for my XBox one I’d be losing it. 

Thursday will be interesting all the same. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, Shook said:

Very strange how unexcited this has made me. 

If they’d said it was a ‘normal’ game without VR, released for my XBox one I’d be losing it. 

Thursday will be interesting all the same. 

If you have precisely zero expectations - you can only be positively surprised.

Just now, Myshkin said:

If you have precisely zero expectations - you can only be positively surprised.

Indeed. 

Funny how they decided to do this instead of wrap up the originals with a dreaded number 3. 

Too much poison in the chalice of course. 

This feels like half life is peeking around the door to see if everyone hates it before it reveals itself. 

Might be amazing!

I actually miss those delirium days, especially moments here in this thread involving counting baubles on Valve Christmas art. 

13 minutes ago, Pixelated Ben said:

I just want Half-Life 3 with exactly the same graphics engine etc as HL2. I'm happy with that. Keep it old school, thanks.

Plus the annoying mid-level loading? :angry:

• Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Plus the annoying mid-level loading? :angry:

It isn't Half-Life without it :P 

Bonus points if HL3 lets you accidentally cut off a line of dialogue as you load into the next area, leaving the last syllable looping like a broken record until it's loaded.

• Upvote 5

I dunno, I'm sure it'll be great but really it's just to push their VR system, that's the motivation so even if everyone likes it - once it's served it's job that'll be it. No more games and no 3s.

6 minutes ago, Retroid said:

I dunno, I'm sure it'll be great but really it's just to push their VR system, that's the motivation so even if everyone likes it - once it's served it's job that'll be it. No more games and no 3s.

There was a time when such a voice of reason was extremely rare, R3troid.

Holy shit look at your username!

2 hours ago, Shook said:

There was a time when such a voice of reason was extremely rare, R3troid.

Holy shit look at your username!

Well... I did just put my porridge in for 3 minutes, so that's pretty Half Life 3 gone gold.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Probably because you're part of the 99% of gamers who don't VR.

Yeah.

Maybe they’ll port it over to normal consoles in 50 years time. 

22 hours ago, Myshkin said:

why am i not excited about this? Either i'm cynical or something is really off here.

I mean, it’s very unlikely to be the Half-Life thing we’ve been hoping for. It seems like by not having Gordon or a 3 in it they’re almost certainly not finishing the story, just sticking the words Half-Life on it because they want to sell their VR headset. Though HL2 seemed like a vehicle for selling steam and was great.

For me it’s a non starter, I think the current VR solutions are awful. At this point I think we’re more likely to see it die again and come back around in a few years than Oculus and whoever still alive and kicking when the working VR headsets that might be popular eventually arrive. It seems a bit late for Valve to wander in with a VR game.

Also didn’t all the writers leave?

• Upvote 2