rllmuk
Moz

Valve - Hell freezes over - Valve announce Half Life: Alyx VR

16 hours ago, matt0 said:

I knew it in my bones.

All news and dev updates about the game stopped the instant they joined Valve.

But maybe they're working on a Half Life VR game (that will never be released). Or Half Life 3.

Any time a relatively well-known developer joins Valve they just fucking vanish. The Campo Santo guys, Brad Muir, Clint Hocking all come to mind. 

Yeah, so this can fuck right off. 

Clearly, Valve knew full well that I can't use a VR device without my eyes freaking out and causing me to go into fits.

It's all a massive conspiracy, and they can suck my balls.

• Empathy 2

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

Any time a relatively well-known developer joins Valve they just fucking vanish. The Campo Santo guys, Brad Muir, Clint Hocking all come to mind. 

"Let’s say you and your work-friends are acquired by a self-organized firm. Congrats! On the downside you are a marked person. Once the firm absorbs your tech or game you will be fired more often than not. They will identify the key devs and let the rest go within 1-2 years or so.

If you’re one of these folks, you need to make friends within the corporate arm’s clique and get a Baron or Sponsor fast or you’re on thin ice.

Your first year at a bonus-centric self-organized firm is a delicate, critical time. It’s basically do or die. In the growth-focused phase of the company, either you get a nice bonus or you’re fired in that first year. That’s it.

They will replace you instantly out of the hundreds of fresh recruits waiting at the door. Avoid buying a house or signing any expensive long term leases for the first year.

Always demand a startup bonus and save it because odds are you’ll be purged within 12 months. You’ll need those funds to ride this out."

• Upvote 1

The cynic in my wants so say that they were obviously going to attach the Half Life brand to whatever their next big game was. They’ve indelibly linked VR tech demos to Portal so that’s a bad idea and L4D and Team Fortress set unrealistic expectations of multiplayer.

If this was first and foremost the next Half-Life game they would’ve announced it as that alone and we all would’ve lined up for VR like Mario 64 shifted N64s.

I wonder how they are going to crowbar in the gambling mechanics that it their soul reason for existing now?

Or do we get one last valve game because they can’t work out how to fit horrendous money making schemes into VR yet! 

even portal two had the gesture shop…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I predict a spin-off revisiting various bits of Half-Life 2 from Alyx's perspective (literally lol) in VR.

It's most likely this. Not 'Episode 3' or something along those lines. As someone who doesn't dig VR, I'm really disappointed that it's a VR game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Just imagine if this doesn't come to PSVR.

...which reminds me that one of the reasons Half-Life 2 and Portal were such a huge mainstream phenomenon was that they were *everywhere*. This probably won’t be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, so this can fuck right off. 

Clearly, Valve knew full well that I can't use a VR device without my eyes freaking out and causing me to go into fits.

It's all a massive conspiracy, and they can suck my balls.

Have you tried any of the newer devices with much higher refresh rates? I've heard the later ones can be better with problems like that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Have you tried any of the newer devices with much higher refresh rates? I've heard the later ones can be better with problems like that.

Alas, when I was wee, I had to have a couple of major ops on my eyes. I see absolutely fine, but anything that involves things like this seem to completely screw things up. Can't discern 3d in films either. Just doesn't work. Whether it's having a screen so close to my peepers I'm not sure, but they're not having it :(

• Empathy 2

Apparently its set between HL1 and HL2 and is a full length single player story driven VR game. As a flagship game to try and draw new people to VR, it would seem odd for it not to end up on console displays like PSVR2 after a year or so.

Don't Valve have something to do with Boneworks? Shit like this in the HL universe at the fidelity being reported will be mind blowing, hopefully game changing. Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

Prediction: you play as Alyx as a child during the 7 hour war and getting the fuck out of black Mesa with your Dad. You will watch your in game mum die in VR.

It's interesting that this is a game specifically where you play Alyx, who is a known and much loved character, and not Gordon who is a silent cypher.

I wonder if we are going to have a VR equivalent to adventure game dialogue trees - the ability to communicate through gesture and behaviour in ways that determine how we respond to certain characters and the conversations that then happen. A crude example, tap someone on the shoulder to get their attention, point to indicate where you want them to go, push people away to instigate a fight, high five or shake hands to show agreement. Perhaps it could be more subtle - clench fist to get aggressive, thumbs up to agree, etc. Whatever it turns out to be, I expect character interaction is going to be a big part of this game and that is why we are Alyx this time.