IGNORED

The Valve Thread

Moz

48 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Fucking lol, the denizens of Resetera are already working themselves into a tizzy and convincing themselves that this will be the killer app that overnight pivots VR from being a niche product for turbo nerds to smartphone style ubiquity.

Who fucking cares it's new Half life stuff!!! It's actually something after all this time!!!

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

Don't get too excited. It's probably a VR tribute to Shufflepuck Cafe where Alex plays air hockey against the extended Half Life cast. The final opponent is the Overseer from Episode 2 who can move the puck with his mind. 

Which part of this am I not to be excited about?

I can't believe its actually happening. Still remember my utter astonishment at the original Half Life 2 trailer - specifically Alyx turning to camera and smiling. All those weird rumours about trying to create an NPC with real character who you could fall in love with suddenly made sense. Nothing has ever looked so utterly beyond its time in video game history.

If Valve get close to that this time I will be absolutely elated. If Trump dies of a heart attack on Thursday too, best day ever?

16 hours ago, matt0 said:

I knew it in my bones.

All news and dev updates about the game stopped the instant they joined Valve.

But maybe they're working on a Half Life VR game (that will never be released). Or Half Life 3.

Any time a relatively well-known developer joins Valve they just fucking vanish. The Campo Santo guys, Brad Muir, Clint Hocking all come to mind. 

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

Any time a relatively well-known developer joins Valve they just fucking vanish. The Campo Santo guys, Brad Muir, Clint Hocking all come to mind. 

"Let’s say you and your work-friends are acquired by a self-organized firm. Congrats! On the downside you are a marked person. Once the firm absorbs your tech or game you will be fired more often than not. They will identify the key devs and let the rest go within 1-2 years or so.

If you’re one of these folks, you need to make friends within the corporate arm’s clique and get a Baron or Sponsor fast or you’re on thin ice.

Your first year at a bonus-centric self-organized firm is a delicate, critical time. It’s basically do or die. In the growth-focused phase of the company, either you get a nice bonus or you’re fired in that first year. That’s it.

They will replace you instantly out of the hundreds of fresh recruits waiting at the door. Avoid buying a house or signing any expensive long term leases for the first year.

Always demand a startup bonus and save it because odds are you’ll be purged within 12 months. You’ll need those funds to ride this out."

The cynic in my wants so say that they were obviously going to attach the Half Life brand to whatever their next big game was. They’ve indelibly linked VR tech demos to Portal so that’s a bad idea and L4D and Team Fortress set unrealistic expectations of multiplayer.

If this was first and foremost the next Half-Life game they would’ve announced it as that alone and we all would’ve lined up for VR like Mario 64 shifted N64s.

I wonder how they are going to crowbar in the gambling mechanics that it their soul reason for existing now?

Or do we get one last valve game because they can’t work out how to fit horrendous money making schemes into VR yet! 

even portal two had the gesture shop…