The Valve Thread

Moz

I reckon each () is a SteamOS user - one creating content and the other buying it off them. Gabe's been harking on about making all games "content delivery platforms" for ages and I think there'll be some feature of SteamOS, or a new service, that makes it even easier than it is already.

I reckon each () is a SteamOS user - one creating content and the other buying it off them. Gabe's been harking on about making all games "content delivery platforms" for ages and I think there'll be some feature of SteamOS, or a new service, that makes it even easier than it is already.

I fear this may be right.

The PS4 has its own low-level API and an OpenGL-esque set of wrapper functions to make porting OGL-based rendering code easier (albeit with a very slight performance hit). Your average Windows PC's graphics drivers will support OpenGL up to a point, though I think they do that by translating OpenGL calls to DX calls anyway.

Most PCs come with full OpenGL drivers, and OpenCL for asynchronous compute stuff these days. They aren't implemented in terms of D3D, and can in fact be slightly more efficient in some cases as due to the different driver structure compared to D3D since the user space portion of the driver is vendor specific and can do more stuff.

They already do that. People make Dota 2 items and sell them.

Yeah people make items for most game on Steam and sell them, I mean I reckon they're going to make it easy for the average user to do. He mentioned letting players be quest givers in MMOs as an example of the level he wants to go down to.

As NinjaSeb says, give it a year or two and a modestly priced PC will overtake what the PS4 and Xbone can provide for the same money. Even extrapolating the rapid growth of tablets and even phones shows they'll overtake the consoles power wise before the generation is out.

Too much kool aid drinking, Apple devs claim their latest chip is as powerful as a console (they also claimed their last one was too), looking at their flagship games designed for it, not quite, especially with all the overhead crap that non-dedicated non-consoles have to contend with, even with more on paper power, good luck seeing it in practice.

It's like PCs, you need significantly more power than what the paper specs of a console state to achieve similar realworld performance. Plus batteries don't believe in Moore's Law, unlike transistors. Plus the small problem of that phenom you like to go on about a lot with high budget games.

Too much kool aid drinking, Apple devs claim their latest chip is as powerful as a console (they also claimed their last one was too), looking at their flagship games designed for it, not quite, especially with all the overhead crap that non-dedicated non-consoles have to contend with, even with more on paper power, good luck seeing it in practice.

It's like PCs, you need significantly more power than what the paper specs of a console state to achieve similar realworld performance. Plus batteries don't believe in Moore's Law, unlike transistors.

That's a lot of words that don't actually involve the point I made at all. I said nothing about current performance, but performance 5 years from now.

And no, obviously Moores Law doesn't have anything to say about battery consumption (this is like the creationist tactic of complaining that evolution doesn't talk about the theory of abiogenesis) you want the separate Koomeys Law for that, which shows a similarly exponential trend.