I'm pretty sure they've got something up and running by now.

I'm still convinced it's a full length episode 3 using current source engine, followed by a Half Life 3 using a new source engine a bit later on. Either that or they've jumped straight to HL3. But HL3 should be a new setting/characters/gimmick etc, not a continuation of HL2:EP2.

I mean, can you imagine the uproar if they announced a new 4 hour Half Life adventure now? :lol:

"But it comes with a TF2 hat!"

I'd never bet against Valve giving me pretty much exactly what I want, but fuck does it take them a long time to do it.

I'm pretty sure they've got something up and running by now.

I'm still convinced it's a full length episode 3 using current source engine, followed by a Half Life 3 using a new source engine a bit later on. Either that or they've jumped straight to HL3. But HL3 should be a new setting/characters/gimmick etc, not a continuation of HL2:EP2.

I mean, can you imagine the uproar if they announced a new 4 hour Half Life adventure now? :lol:

"But it comes with a TF2 hat!"

I'd never bet against Valve giving me pretty much exactly what I want, but fuck does it take them a long time to do it.

Can I borrow your crystal ball and/or direct line to Gay Ben?

This is all entirely conjecture. The whole point is fuck all is known, they might of cancelled all work on half-life for all we know. Ep.2 obviously ends on a cliffhanger (and so does every HL game so far) which just makes the waiting and unknown so agonising.

The only comment that I've read regarding this stuff was and interview with Gabe Newell claiming that the episodic content for HL "doesn't work" but without that learning there wouldn't of been games like L4D & Portal.

This would imply that Ep. 3 has been binned instead for a fully featured, full length sequel. Half-Life 3.

Or a full length/extended length HL2: EP3.

With a HL3 somewhere down the line.

Which is what I said :D

Point being, they'll want to continue and finish the story of HL2. I don't personally think HL3 will simply be a full length 'more of the same', but rather it'll rely on a new setting and gimmick, besides the gravity gun. Of course, it'd be weird to jump from the ending of EP2 straight to this.

They'll have a new version of the source engine in the pipeline somewhere, makes sense to debut it with HL3.

...or Half Life 3.

With Half Life 4 somewhere down the line, eta about 2057.

If they thought the the small episodic nature of continuing Half-Life 2 didn't work why would they create a full length game yet still keep the "episode" moniker?

...also, I see that lots of people are viewing this thread. Probably all angry and disappointed (again) that there is no real news, just pish talk.

Thread should get nuked from orbit, and I should stop contributing to it.

...or Half Life 3.

With Half Life 4 somewhere down the line, eta about 2057.

If they thought the the small episodic nature of continuing Half-Life 2 didn't work why would they create a full length game yet still keep the "episode" moniker?

Who says they have to? They could call it Half Life: whatever.

The point is I think they have one more game in them using source and featuring the characters/gameplay from HL2. Then it's time for the new source engine, new characters, new 'core' weapon/gimmick, new time frame etc.

...also, I see that lots of people are viewing this thread. Probably all angry and disappointed (again) that there is no real news, just pish talk.

Thread should get nuked from orbit, and I should stop contributing to it.

There was news. The news was 'we're not talking about that yet'. That's more than we usually get.

God, imagine if it's because they just haven't done anything at all. Literally some guy in Valve is sat at a flashing cursor under a heading "HALF LIFE 3" and that's as far as they've gotten.

The whole "New Source" thing is really dumb, the Source they use today is completely different from the one they used in 2004 to build HL2 - there's HDR, more texture and mapping effects, weather effects, a new particle system, support for that crazy cinematic animation thing. DOTA 2 is adding cloth physics and something else. The games look better too.

Basically, it's the exact same evolution and upgrade as any other engine, like Gamebryo in Skyrim, or the Halo 3 engine in Halo Reach, people are just complaining that it's not being used as a marketing buzzword - Source doesn't have version numbers and Valve doesn't toot their horn.

Well, you and I know that, but you should also know that when people here say 'new source engine', they mean source as it is now with a few new shaders and a massive overhaul of the SDK and developer tools, with the intention of licensing the engine for third party multiplatform titles. Valve likes money, this makes sense. They can offer an engine that runs across 360/PS3/PC/Mac, has a built in delivery system on some formats, along with built in DRM, matchmaking, friends lists etc. The complete package. Across every format.

Like how Cryengine 3 is essentially Cryengine 2 but with optimisations for console and a focus on multiplatform development tools.

Yeah, I think the only important things they need in Source is a WYSIWYG interface for level creation - they're still in the post-Quake Worldcraft style, which must be slowing things down immensely - and some form of level streaming to cut out mid-level loads. That one isn't as drastic nowadays as it was when HL2 came out simply because computers have much more power, and the loads are much faster - they used to be SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW...

Yeah, hammer isn't exactly the most up to date editor. It's extremely fun to make L4D maps though :D

The loading screens are how I gauge how good a new PC is. The PC I played HL2 on for the first time was about a minute wait at times. With my current one, I'm lucky if I even see the 'loading' message :D

Also, Source on iPhone before too long. Betcha.

Yeah, the editor itself could use a bit of an upgrade, after using the UDK for a while the beauty of being able to drop into your creation without the need to compile is priceless. That's my main problem with the Hammer Editor as it is now, but just look at some of the stuff people have done and there's no denying the engine itself is fantastic.

4406913833_93b2b96091_o.jpg

4407681998_06a5361cdc_o.jpg

4407682578_da819db94a_o.jpg

5132029607_dd4da58621_b.jpg

017.jpg

If anybody's playing through Half-Life 2 again I'd recommend the Cinematic Mod which improves the graphics and character models of the game and its episodes. It's a hefty download, but worth it, particularly for the Highway 17 chapter which always looked a little too empty in the original.

The only thing I don't like, personally, is the new Alyx model, although you can choose which characters to change if you want.

Episode Two is on sale (75% off) on Steam at the moment. Good if anyone somehow hasn't played it yet :)

WHAT COULD IT MEAN????

Well HL2:E2 being discounted - it's obviously for the same reason on the telly they sometimes show the last episode of the previous season of a tv show just before starting the new season.

Hey yeah so you know ages ago when I said this? (yesterday)

Well, you and I know that, but you should also know that when people here say 'new source engine', they mean source as it is now with a few new shaders and a massive overhaul of the SDK and developer tools, with the intention of licensing the engine for third party multiplatform titles. Valve likes money, this makes sense. They can offer an engine that runs across 360/PS3/PC/Mac, has a built in delivery system on some formats, along with built in DRM, matchmaking, friends lists etc. The complete package. Across every format.

Like how Cryengine 3 is essentially Cryengine 2 but with optimisations for console and a focus on multiplatform development tools.

This was in PC Gamer today:

Gabe Newell has been talking about the projects Valve are working on. He says that one of the major aims of the company is to improve the usability of the Source Software Development Kit and the Hammer level editor. Newell says that the current tools are “very painful” to use, saying that “we probably are spending more time on tools development now than anything else.”

Newell made the comments on the latest Steamcast, where he was asked if Valve would ever update the Source SDK, and their Hammer level editor. He said “oh yeah, we’re spending a tremendous amount of time on tools right now. So, our current tools are… very painful, so we probably are spending more time on tools development now than anything else and when we’re ready to ship those I think everybody’s life will get a lot better.

“[it's] just way too hard to develop content right now, both for ourselves and for third-parties, so we’re going to make enormously easier and simplify that process a lot.”

This isn’t just good news for developers. Modders and map makers use the same Hammer level editor that Valve do, and Hammer’s UI has hardly been updated since it was used to create Half Life in 1998. A less fiddly and more powerful version of the software would both make it easier for budding mappers to have a go, and ultimately enable the community to create even more impressive mods and maps for Valve’s games.

So yeah.