IGNORED

The Valve Thread

Moz

I honestly think we'll see something interesting from Valve at Gamescom, followed by further details in the Gametrailers TV special. I'm not saying it's HL3, but I can't imagine they'd do a 30 minute special for DOTA2/CS:GO. Those don't seem like gametrailers TV games to me.

Have you watched the recent Epic special one? a 30 minute episode featuring minimal new information on UE4 and a bit about an iOS game, DOTA 2/CS: GO seems more plausible than a HL3 reveal :D

Gabe will demo DOTA2 and CS:GO and just as he's leaving the screen will go black, and the HL will appear, followed by a crowbar, followed by the number 3 and the entire internet will melt into itself, and there'll be rainbows and stuff. And Gabe will turn and say - Oh I forgot, it's on Steam RIGHT NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Or not. :(

BELI3VE!

Gabe is going to announce that Half Life 3 is finished and ready to play.

The only snag is that they sent the only copy to Mars strapped to the Curiosity rover. No backups exist.

The only way we'll ever get to play it is to fund a Kickstarter for Gabe to fly to Mars and retrieve it.

They're switching to OpenGL? Interesting. Is it as optimised as DX on modern hardware? Or rather, are they still designing cards around DX, putting OpenGL at a disadvantage?

My guess is the windows 8 store has got them spooked... Once that hits what's the point of using steam???? Or eA's origin???

Source has previously used OpenGL. The Mac/PS3 versions are OpenGL :)

I don't think the Windows store has them spooked, I think they're going to push linux hard as they want to have a linux based Steam OS. The 'steam console' could turn out to be an OS running on branded hardware from a partner. Think Asus building the Nexus 7 for Google and launching with Jelly Bean. Why can't they build the Steambox for Valve too, running Valve's own Linux distro?

Exciting times.

Agreed. Steam is literally the only Windows-specific program I have left running on my PC. I suppose if I had more free time, I'd tinker with wine or some other means of getting Steam under Linux, but it'll be awesome if it has official support.

Can't tell if joking or not :hmm:

:P

CS:GO is out on the 21st of this month btw. Didn't see that when I skimmed the thread :)

To be brutally honest, this is called the 'Valve thread' but you're kidding yourself if you think it's anything else than the 'Half Life 3 desperation sensation thread'. CS:GO is probably more a thing would get the attention it deserves in the Steam thread unless you've found some interesting and mysterious references to the number '3' or lambda's in there of course!

Shut up Gerbik, over there we only have concise discussion of SFIV, every other fighting game, tex-mex, high level burgers, red wine, Breaking Bad, indie games on steam, Treasure ports and other XBLA gems, God Hand, classic Lucasarts adventures, bullet hell shmups, Half Life 2, and The Wire. Oh, and puns. Boy do we have puns.