I'm playing through Half Life 2 on PC for the first time. I'm a terrible person for leaving it this long, aren't I? It's brilliant. Bought the Orange Box on Steam a while back and only got round to playing Portal 1 last week and since I loved that I thought I'd give the rest of the games in the box a go. :)

• Upvote 2

Wonderful.

To be honest, when people say HL2 is shit I want to stab them.

Yeah, there are a couple of dated bits but beyond that, the objective brilliance of it isn't even up for discussion in my mind. Of course it isn't perfect, but what it does well it does SO well, you'd have to be blind to miss it.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I have to admit that I often tend to focus on the bad bits about games, but that little video link that Morrius provided has reminded me why the Half Life series is so brilliant. In fact, I am very tempted to reinstall The Orange Box, and play through the entire game again.

The thing that sets HL2 apart from many other games is atmosphere. It just feels right and believable.

The music, lack of music, noises of the guards, radio chatter, speaker announcements it all adds to the game. Don't think any other studio has the freedom to do it.

After just playing through Episode 1, 2 and Portal 2 I think one of the biggest things Valve could bring with HL3 is a streaming engine. The tech still impresses and it can produce some nicely sized expansive areas, but it's a noticeably limiting factor which is beginning to restrict the gameplay. More-so HL than Portal.

Another thing thats in need for them now is a live game editor allowing developers to create levels within the live engine and test out the results. I've been really impressed with Valve's level designs, but having used a similar system to Hammer and Source in the past, there's no getting away from the annoyance of the create>build>play>edit>build>play>edit>build>play loop, which can add hours of wasted time onto your day waiting for the level to rebuild and load.

• Upvote 1

The music, lack of music, noises of the guards, radio chatter, speaker announcements it all adds to the game. Don't think any other studio has the freedom to do it.

I was walking past these crappy, empty houses that were getting renovated, so there was a ton of scaffolding. Some invisible workman's walkie went off and sounded exactly like a combine solider from HL. Five seconds later I heard the sound a helicopter approaching and I half expected the cast of HL2 to show up.

Damn right about the atmosphere!

Yep, the sound design in the HL series is amazing. For me as well, a big factor in the atmosphere is the lighting, especially in HL2. It just seems to much more naturalistic than other games - no showy coloured lighting etc really until you get to the Citadel. The daylight actually feels like watery winter sunlight. Superb.

• Upvote 1

Seven years too late I know, but I have now finally completed Half-Life 2.

I was too busy for games back in 2004. I had just started uni, plus my PC was neither good enough to print hi-res PDF's, not play Half-Life 2. Three years passed without change. I went back to it in 2007 once The Orange Box came out, but the god-awful PS3 pad and the overly-long vehicle sections killed it for me. I gave up on it, for the second time. Fast forward to 2011, and Portal 2, combined with the hype surrounding Potato-gate and this very thread, got me back in the saddle again. I borrowed The Orange Box off Pocket Frenzy, and with the sounds of Morrius ringing in my ears, I started playing again. I got through the vehicle sections that held me back over four years ago, and battled through.

Thankfully, now, after a dead Xbox delayed the inevitable by a few weeks, I have finally completed Half-Life 2. Can't believe I let it go this long before finishing, but now it's done, I truly think I've played one of the best games ever.

This play through is dedicated to MorriusU.

Now, onto the episodes!

• Upvote 6

Of course, the real beauty is going through it again....many, many times. I tend to repeat myself so very often when it comes to HL2, but there is absolutely no other game where replaying gives you more glimpses into the world and ideas about what's been happening. Tons of little unique bits which you just miss because there's so much else going on. And it still looks wonderful! The artwork is - for me at least - completely peerless in what it's doing. Sure, things have moved on tech-wise, but in art direction it remains bloody near perfect.

Apart from climbing ladders, which Valve have never, ever seemed to work out properly (although I think it now is just an in-joke, as I cannot believe a dev-co with that much talent in it couldn't do it better...yeah, that's it. It's not wrong, it's just a cool joke....everything's perfect again!).

For me, it's the game equivalent of a fave film you can happily watch whenever it's on and not stop until you get to the end. It's that good.

Oh, and despite rumours to the contrary, Episode 1 is even better - infact, it's my favorite part of the whole thing. Alyx is cool and doesn't piss me off at all! She still looks great too...

Sigh...I love you HL2.

• Upvote 2