IGNORED

FIFA 12

EA really need to tighten up the referee for the next version. Adding the physics engine in has made them a joke, with blatant red card offences not even registering as a foul. The keeper gets away with murder too, taking the ball past them outside the area seems to be an invite for them to drag you down without being penalised.

Yes, I'm on the downward leg of FIFA form (that does not exist according to EA).

After putting in some severe hours into this, the flaws are the most frustrating I've encountered in a Fifa game.

I was talking with Smithstock about it the other day and we agreed that while it's becoming more realistic, it's in severe danger of sacrificing the fun. And when they set their stall out in the realistic camp, when things happen that aren't, it shows up so much more.

Along with some horrifically inconsistent refereeing mentioned above, the tackling winds me up something chronic. I've never in a real-life game of football seen a player get tackled three times only for it to bounce up and back into his stride each time. Yet it happens (against me) at least once a match here.

Fifa12 is so close to being brilliant. But it's so hand-wringly far at the same time.

I've been playing all day in H2H seasons and Ultimate team. I've played 18 games, scored 27 and conceded 40.

And every single goal that I conceded came not from my bad play, but from something outside of my control.

Now, I know what you're going to say, 'How could you possibly know that, you're just in a funk because you're losing, etc'. Well I wrote them all down.

They range from 'Tackled opposition four times yet all bounces went back to him' through to 'Right Winger(!) played striker onside despite tactic set to offside trap'.

But the main one is "lost possession because the pass ddn't go where I told it to".

I'm not a good Fifa player. When I play Smithstock, Tyler, Steely, etc, I lose because they are better than me. I just wish I could figure out this game's code so I can stop losing to crappy Fifisms and start enjoying it again.

I've asked many times before and always had no response, but lads, please drop tips or online resources my way. I hate getting annoyed by a product I'm supped to be playing for fun.

I wish I could give tips, but I'm pretty useless on this version myself. It's not helped by what appears to be purposely added randomness with ball control and passing (as you've noticed) and a more pronounced confidence/momentum stat, the latter of which has been especially ridiculous at times. Simple 3-0 defeats magically turning into 4-3 victories with unrealistic regularity, even if it's in your favour it's still pretty annoying as you know the game has given you a boost.

It's all ebb and flow. I won something like 8 on the trot and then lost or drew for the next 10. I'm currently on a 4 game winning streak so am enjoying some insane luck (the guy I just played hit the woodwork 6 yards from an open goal and hit it another 3 or 4 times too.. I beat him 6-0 with only two of those 6 from inside the area).

Case in point: Just had a cup game and it paired me against Newcastle (I'm 3-star Southampton). I was 3-0 after 20 mins and went in at half time 4-1 up and cruising.

I ended up losing 5-7 as every shot the other guy had suddenly went in. My passing went to shit and every shot either went wide or straight to the keeper.

I don't feel I could do much about it, but I guess it makes up for the 6-0 in the first round. I'm more annoyed that it paired me against a 4 star team to be honest.

The game is more enjoyable with lower * teams where you expect shit touches, awful passing and inaccurate shooting - so when you put a nice move together and score a goal or two it feels much more rewarding. The random elements that Pants mention above are utter turd though.

I remember reading a quote from Romily Broad - one of the head guys at EA Canada, who said the reason they don't have handballs switched on by default is because they felt it would be unfair on players if they lose a game due to a dodgy handball decision that was completely not under their control. Shame they didn't follow this same logic when programming in the rest of the random stuff that causes you to concede goals, eh.

Aye that's it chaps. We can moan about the worst parts of every game but the fact is, it's only going to get worse unless they start controlling things better.

RE: Pants. I've told you a few things about the passing sir but it's not working out for me. I think there's a core set of fundamentals that most people have then everything else is down to adapting to the game or things out o your control. I'll try jump on tomorrow if you fancy a few games and try some things out?

In every FIFA since 08 there's been a trump card ability (changes year on year) - my understanding is that it is speed in FIFA 12. So as well as learning the new defending, which I still am, dealing with or exploiting pace is key.

This is all good feedback chaps. The ebb and flow thing I've definitely witnessed, I can't imaging they'd program that on purpose, I'm sure it's a mental thing.

I've been working on my fundamentals - don't use the Y button in my own half, try and point the player where I want the pass to go, stop sprinting before a shot, etc. I'm also far too over reliant on wing play and am trying to fix that too. But on top of that, it's now a case of figuring the game's nuances. Maybe I should move to a shit team for a while, If I can keep a 85% pass rate with Millwall and regularly get at least 6/7 shots on target a match, I'll be much happier.

Smith, I'll be around tomorrow, although probably more later than not.

Slighty off topic, got myself back into Ultimate Team and there are two annoying issues that I've already spotted and caused me to hike over to the *gulp* EA Forums.

1. Players can score from 40 yards out consistently, you buy the "+15 shooting" cards to make a player 99 shooting then go wild. Think Adriano from Pro Evo 6. No word as to of this will be tweaked.

2. Apparently the last patch caused a problem which ive had 3 times today with Ultimate Team where you can get random disconnects from the server when you win; counting as a loss, no coins and a reset DNF. EA are looking to fix this.

Just a heads up, as per.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been enjoying this more than last year's effort generally. I have now somehow discovered how to score from crosses, finess shots and the long drive on top of my normal lay offs so attacking is all good. I am regularly winning games by 7 or more goals and in a lot of cases having people quit out before half time.

However, I have had the exact opposite extreme too where I cannot break people down easily and they are ripping me apart at the back. It feels like their player is on a bee line for my player on the ball and their is nothing that I can do about it. It really felt as if I was missing something. I messed around with the tactics and no joy.

Then I thought back to when I started playing and the tutorials and realised that I was missing something:

The locked on Jockey. I have played over 200 games of ultimate team and not once used it. I tried it out in 2 matches last night and all of a sudden people weren't leaving my full backs standing to whip in crosses or people. People weren't also throwing my defenders every which way with skill moves on the edge of the area.

Is it really as powerful as it seems compared to the manual jockey? There is always I need for the manual jockey too I know but seriously, just hold the buttons and sit back.

Could you just change to full auto switch and hold the buttons down to defend?

Can anyone help with this query?

Apart from BAPing and knowing how to arrange an online 1v1 friendly I'm struggling with the menus. I've just finished my 1v1 season this evening and while I've been suitably cack inviting someone off my friends list to play my "home" games has seen my play in 50% rain and 50% snowy condfitions. I wouldn't mind if I'd gone Dynamo Moscow but I've been playing as Athletico Bilbao.

In the past couple of versions of the game you could set a "Home" stadium for your team that meant you always played in good conditions. Can I do that here?

Since learning the lock jockey I have gone on a stupid run. I think I have lost about 2 games in 30, conceding about 10 goals. I am regularly scoring 8 or more and have had my biggest ever fifa victory of 16 - 0 (ignoring the fact that at 78 minutes and 13-0, the guy started scoring own goals.

Stopping crosses coming in is much easier with the lock jockey and that is how most people online seem to want to score their goals.

It feels like a totally different game now. I love how the game rewards calm, slow build up against the undefeatable rush tactics of previous games.

According to a recent survey I conducted a Lock Jockey is a 'rapid entry tool'... I thought you said this was used to help you defend?

I use contain and jockey at the same time then depress contain when I want to move in for / miss a tackle. If you hold standing tackle and jockey will your player not just make a big lunge for the ball every time you press the buttons?

According to a recent survey I conducted a Lock Jockey is a 'rapid entry tool'... I thought you said this was used to help you defend?

I use contain and jockey at the same time then depress contain when I want to move in for / miss a tackle. If you hold standing tackle and jockey will your player not just make a big lunge for the ball every time you press the buttons?

Nope, that isn't what happens. It may not be the tackle button. The advanced defending tutorial tells you how to do it. I just didn't pay any attention at the time. I call it the lock jockey because your player perfectly jockies the opponent without you having to move them. You can move them closer and further away from the opponent as desired but they lock on and follow them everywhere.

The basic tactic is to round the opponent up in to a team mate for the tackle so used in combination with the second player press, it works very well. I only tend to concede now when I can't get the second player back in time to make the tackle.