Pandora's Tower

Major Britten

Searched for a topic but couldnt find one. Anyway there was a website a few months back teasing a new Wii game called Pandora's Tower, which I think most people thought would be an RPG by Monolith with the artwork looking very similar in style. Anyway heres a new video for the game which turns out to be a side-scrolling beat em up, game is being made by Ganbarion who are the ones who made the Jump Stars games on the DS.

Looks pretty awesome to me and Im really hoping that Nintendo actually release the game in the west. Its pretty amazing really because Nintendo have quite a few quality games that they have in Japan, Xenoblade (which is now actually making it Europe), Last Story, Fatal Frame 4, Pikmin 2, Dynamic Slash (the Sandlot developed game) Cosmic Walker etc but NoA and NoE just refuse to release them here which is pretty sad seeing how shit the Wii release lineup is with months of nothing :facepalm:

Scans

Dc68l.jpgcPzxk.jpg

mokQ6.jpgqArZ0.jpg

And some plot and gameplay details.

The setting of the game is the Graecia continent, where in the kingdom of Elysium the harvest festival has begun. Ceres has been chosen to sing at the event, but as she takes the podium, beasts appear in the area.

In the ensuing confusion, Ende manages to find Ceres, but she's unconscious. She's about to be taken into custody by the army as a witness to the beast appearance. With the help of a merchant named Graiai, the two manage to escape to an isolated tower.

Ceres ends up being cursed following the beast attack. Ende learns that to clear the curse he must gather the flesh of beasts that live within the tower. He decides to try his hand at the tower.

The three principle characters introduced in the magazine are:

Ceres

15 years old. She was selected from a large number of girls to sing at the harvest festival. She's a devout believer of the Eos religion.

Ende

The game's 22-year-old main character. He was a former soldier of Athens during a war with Elysium. He's a man of few words.

Graiai

The merchant who helps Ceres and Ende. He appears to be of the dwarf race. He gives you the Orichalcum Chain, which lets its possessor know Ceres' state.

The Orichalcum Chain that Graiai gives you is the central gameplay element in the game. As mentioned above, it allows you to know Ceres' state. As you play, you'll see a timer in the lower left of the screen. This timer is an indication of how far Ceres' curse has progressed. When it reaches zero, the game ends.

You'll also use the chain to restrain the servant beasts you encounter in the towers and tear their flesh off for delivery to Ceres, and also to clear the various gimmicks that you encounter in the tower.

The tower is actually not just one tower -- there are twelve, of varying size. Each tower has a different theme. For example, there's the Red Flame Tower, which blocks your progress with fire.

If you reach the deepest point in each tower, Ende will encounter a boss. The flesh of the bosses of all the towers is required to completely clear Ceres of her curse. The flesh of the servant beasts can only temporarily halt the curse's progress.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/06/pandoras_tower_story/

:)

• 2 weeks later...

If the Wii had been a proper HD console in the first place, with quality like that video above and stuff like Monster Hunter,

... there'd be little need for talking about Wii 2 or Wii HD

Vice versa had Nintendo tried to match Sony and Microsoft for power from the off, then it's unlikely the Wii would have been a success.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some potentially exciting news for EU/UK Wii owners,

Remember when Solatorobo appeared at the French Japan Expo? That was a few months before the game was confirmed for localization in Europe. Of course, we all know that's actually happening now. Now it seems that the same thing is happening with Pandora's Tower. The game is rumored to be appearing at this year's Japan Expo. Could a confirmation of Euro localization be that far off?

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=162185

Indeed it does look stunning!

Please take this the right way as well:

If the Wii had been a proper HD console in the first place, with quality like that video above and stuff like Monster Hunter,

... there'd be little need for talking about Wii 2 or Wii HD

Its on my watch list!

This is a different debate entirely but I think that RPGs like these are on the Wii in the first place is lower development costs. There is less need for HD visuals and more of a focus on gameplay. The artists/designers get to work with tech that is ultimately far more familiar and robust than that of 360 or PS3. Just my two cents.

I hope this makes it over to us Europes!

I'd love for this to join Xenoblade and The Last Story in Europe. NOE have been great at bringing games over this gen.

Yep, I just hope they sell well. NoE brought over Disaster and Another Code for the Wii in Europe but both of them didnt sell well. NoA are just taking a wait and see approach, if these games sell well then I cant see NoA not releasing them.

You can almost smell the interlaced 50hz!

Please don't say that. It would be SO ironic and typical, NOE finally do something right and then still manage to fuck it up.

If any of these three lovely looking games (Xeno, Pandora, Last something) have 50hz only, I'm done with gaming. That's it, 30+ years down the drain.

A bit drama queen-ish perhaps but there's only so much I can take.

NoE finally do something right? It's been doing plenty right this generation for those of us who've been paying attention. Another Code: R, Last Window, New Play Control: Pikmin 2 and Jam with the Band to name but four titles we got that America didn't. We've had the likes of Sin & Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2 and Mario Kart Wii before the US, and NoE localised niche stuff like Solatorobo and Etrian Odyssey when no other EU publisher bothered.

No, it's still not perfect, but come on: we're well beyond the days of interlaced 50Hz for every PAL title. You should see NeoGAF - they're the ones jealous of us these days.

NoE finally do something right? It's been doing plenty right this generation for those of us who've been paying attention. Another Code: R, Last Window, New Play Control: Pikmin 2 and Jam with the Band to name but four titles we got that America didn't. We've had the likes of Sin & Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2 and Mario Kart Wii before the US, and NoE localised niche stuff like Solatorobo and Etrian Odyssey when no other EU publisher bothered.

No, it's still not perfect, but come on: we're well beyond the days of interlaced 50Hz for every PAL title. You should see NeoGAF - they're the ones jealous of us these days.

Youve forgotten another game that NoE brought over that NoA didnt bother with, check your avatar for a hint ;)

Haha yeah guess you're right. I have actually been paying attention and noticed the games the Eu have gotten which aren't out in the US. I guess it's years and years of habit of hating on NOE.

And that the VC games are all 50hz and can't be played through component. Or some of them if I remember correctly.

But credit should be given where it's due so dear NOE accept my apology: you have improved. Somewhat. Kisses Barny.

Oh, just remembered why I actually still have negative feelings towards NOE.. they STILL haven't sorted out Club Nintendo for the rest of Europe. That's weak.

Apart from Madworld, which other PAL Wii games are 50hz? Retail/disc games?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, my copy of this has just been shipped by shopto, after me preordering it ages ago and then forgetting it existed until today. Which begs the question, is it any good? And is this the last big release for the Wii?

Mine arrived this morning :D

Well, my copy of this has just been shipped by shopto, after me preordering it ages ago and then forgetting it existed until today. Which begs the question, is it any good? And is this the last big release for the Wii?

There is still Project Zero II and Rhythm Heaven to come for Wii, then that is it.