rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace

There's a new Adam Curtis documentary! It's called "All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace"! It will be on TV "quite soon"! It will feature Twitter in some capacity!

This is all the information available, as announced through that most esteemed of organs, Charlie Brooker's Twitter feed:

While I'm here, may as well sick up a few enigmatic blurts about the new Adam Curtis series which is coming soon...

http://twitter.com/#!/charltonbrooker/status/53212352539136000

1) It is called 'All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace'. 2) Twitter shows up in it. 3) It'll be on the TV quite soon.

http://twitter.com/#!/charltonbrooker/status/53212626532040704

I'm sure he'll post more about it on his special page soon: http://bbc.in/CMORI -- lots of good stuff on there at the moment, btw the way.

http://twitter.com/#!/charltonbrooker/status/53213071233134592

So. I'm looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

This is the Richard Brautigan poem Curtis has pinched the title from:

All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace

I like to think (and

the sooner the better!)

of a cybernetic meadow

where mammals and computers

live together in mutually

programming harmony

like pure water

touching clear sky.

I like to think

(right now, please!)

of a cybernetic forest

filled with pines and electronics

where deer stroll peacefully

past computers

as if they were flowers

with spinning blossoms.

I like to think

(it has to be!)

of a cybernetic ecology

where we are free of our labors

and joined back to nature,

returned to our mammal

brothers and sisters,

and all watched over

by machines of loving grace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace

Iiiiiiiinteresting. I read Brautigan's The Hawkline Monster a few months back and found it rather strange, but quite brilliant. I'll have to get me some more of his books.

Ah great news indeed!

Here's hoping they show some of his older films in the run-up, or release them on dvd. Yes, that would be nice.

They're never going to release them on DVD because the licencing costs and wrangling required for all the clips and music would be immense.

They're never going to release them on DVD because the licencing costs and wrangling required for all the clips and music would be immense.

Ah yeah, Curtis is the archive master. Any.... *ahem* other ways to get them?

Fantastic news. Adam Curtis is pretty much the greatest person that has anything to do with TV. Lots of his older stuff available on torrent sites, thebox.bz especially. I have invites for thebox if anyone's looking and can keep up a decent ratio.

Fantastic news. Adam Curtis is pretty much the greatest person that has anything to do with TV. Lots of his older stuff available on torrent sites, thebox.bz especially. I have invites for thebox if anyone's looking and can keep up a decent ratio.

The Power Of Nightmares is available on archive.org for free.

Four minute clip on the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/video/2011/may/06/documentary-internet-adam-curtis

It starts on Monday May 23rd at 9pm on BBC2, and appears to be narrated in captions à la It Felt Like a Kiss.

I hope that it's not. It worked in It Felt Like A Kiss, but to be honest it got a bit annoying by the end, and I really don't think it could sustain a three or whatever part series.

Fucking hell, that was a convincing narrative of corruption and ineptitude. Has the IMF ever actually successfully helped anyone?

Themselves.

That programme was amazing. I hadn't tied together the cheap Chinese money and the property boom until now. Editing was astounding.

That was quite brilliant. Sat spell-bound for the duration and am really looking forward to next week's.

Fucking hell, that was a convincing narrative of corruption and ineptitude. Has the IMF ever actually successfully helped anyone?

Themselves?

Edit: I see Palo Alto beat me to it. :lol:

Brilliant and educational as always, but he always leaves me feeling depressed that we are just crushed in some machine we cannot comprehend. Loved the pong experiment.

Yeah, I wanted to know what that song was, dreamy guitars, woman singing about a monkey. I don't know best coast but for some reason I think its them or someone like them. Nice to hear the moon soundtrack throughout.

Just got newsnight on in the background, someone has mentioned building a new political economy....

Yeah, I wanted to know what that song was, dreamy guitars, woman singing about a monkey. I don't know best coast but for some reason I think its them or someone like them. Nice to hear the moon soundtrack throughout.

Monkey 23 by The Kills.