Shock! Someone who dislikes Sonic The Hedgehog

NEG

.. I now can recognise them as very good alternatives to the Mario games.

Well that's what I don't think they are at all! Which is why there's so much rivalry perhaps.

Sonic games are nothing like Mario games except that they are platform games. They are nice and simple, they test reflexes, and they get you from A to B. No maps or overworlds, or unlockable doors, or collecting things. They're more 'arcade-y' I think.

And Sonic Advance 2 for the GBA seems to have taken Sonic to its logical conclusion in the speed department - ie. it's shit fast! (not shit, I like it, yes.)

Sonic Advance 2 really REALLY is a step forward at last in the 2D sonic games department. It should really be re-named Sonic The Hedgehog 4

First of all, the speed is taken to the limits. But not uncontrollable. Downside is, you can literally finish the first 4 levels by just pushing the right direction on the d-pad.

Ah, but thats where the emeralds come in. Each stage has 8 special rings, only then you can go to the special stage. For the first time you really are forced to search every part of sonic levels, which adds another good element.

The special stages themselves are great also, in a sonic 3 kind of way, cept your collecting rings while running from the amy boss from SA.

Music really really suits sonic also.

Even Robotnik has a change of approch! You have to chase him now. Yet another excellent idea.

And getting all 7 emeralds with each character gives you alot of unlockables too, another first.

Oh and don't forget the new character Cream ( The Rabbit ).

Sonic Advance 2 then....really should be Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

And Sonic Advance 2 for the GBA seems to have taken Sonic to its logical conclusion in the speed department - ie. it's shit fast! (not shit, I like it, yes.)

Sonic Advance 2 really REALLY is a step forward at last in the 2D sonic games department. It should really be re-named Sonic The Hedgehog 4

First of all, the speed is taken to the limits. But not uncontrollable. Downside is, you can literally finish the first 4 levels by just pushing the right direction on the d-pad.

Ah, but thats where the emeralds come in. Each stage has 8 special rings, only then you can go to the special stage. For the first time you really are forced to search every part of sonic levels, which adds another good element.

The special stages themselves are great also, in a sonic 3 kind of way, cept your collecting rings while running from the amy boss from SA.

Even Robotnik has a change of approch! You have to chase him now. Yet another excellent idea.

And getting all 7 emeralds with each character gives you alot of unlockables too, another first.

My review says it better.

http://www.gamestyle.net/gba.php?action=review&id=57

Also, I wouldn't mind a port of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&Knuckles onto the GBA.

Anything stopping that hardware-wise? (I'd want a save function, mind).

My review says it better.

http://www.gamestyle.net/gba.php?action=review&id=57

Also, I wouldn't mind a port of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&Knuckles onto the GBA.

Anything stopping that hardware-wise? (I'd want a save function, mind).

Get Sonic Mega Collection :D

And yes..I believe I read somewhere that putting the sonic games on gba would be like....::thinks::...well..not good.

I think the main problem is the sprites for the sonic games,since the MD didn't work all that much the same to the snes, which is what the GBA is really, but what do I know.

Get Sonic Mega Collection  :D

I have it!! 8)

But I want it portable now! 8)

Sonic Spinball was ported in Sega Smash Pack ( alongside Ecco 1 and golden axe ).

You could try getting a GP32..er...I think I may have named it wrong. Looks like a GBA anyhow, but using PC wires and such you can use your emus and roms on it. And then around 20 consoles are now IN YOUR HANDS!

But of course...I have no idea how well it works. And don't expect anything past the 16bit era of course. Although I heard PC Doom 2 was do-able.

Sonic Spinball was ported in Sega Smash Pack ( alongside Ecco 1 and golden axe ).

Oh yeah, you're right.

Wasn't it a shit port though? Or so I hear. No save function... on a handheld?! Bah!

You could try getting a GP32..er...I think I may have named it wrong. Looks like a GBA anyhow, but using PC wires and such you can use your emus and roms on it.

Ah yeah, I think Megadrive emus run pretty well on the GP32. Can't be arsed with all the trouble of setting it up though.

And don't expect anything past the 16bit era of course. Although I heard PC Doom 2 was do-able.

As 'do-able' as Doom 2 for GBA is 'playable' I'd imagine. (ie. Slightly) :D

Oh yeah, you're right.

Wasn't it a shit port though? Or so I hear. No save function... on a handheld?! Bah!

You could try getting a GP32..er...I think I may have named it wrong. Looks like a GBA anyhow, but using PC wires and such you can use your emus and roms on it.

Ah yeah, I think Megadrive emus run pretty well on the GP32. Can't be arsed with all the trouble of setting it up though.

And don't expect anything past the 16bit era of course. Although I heard PC Doom 2 was do-able.

As 'do-able' as Doom 2 for GBA is 'playable' I'd imagine. (ie. Slightly) 8)

Well...golden axe was dumbed down in the duel mode. Ecco lost most of its music but the save function is there. Sonic Spinball had no save function to begin with. Although the level select cheat should still work and SP actually is a good port.

Which funnyly, only 1 man ported them all.

Can't bother setting it all up? Then no sonic ports for you then har har!

Or you could wait till another sonic compilation in 2011. Which would be Sonic's 20th anaversery.

One other option would be to hunt down a Sega Nomad. Which was a portable Mega drive. Whoo hoo! ( Think of the batteries tohugh :D )

As for doom, no idea.

Nope, I guess not.

I'm just lazy.

(And I'd need to actually buy a GP32.)

A new Sonic Advance game wouldn't go amiss though.

Or you could wait till another sonic compilation in 2011. Which would be Sonic's 20th anaversery.

I just want a compilation (a la Mega Collection) that has the 'leftovers'.

SMC2 needs Sonic CD, Sonic-R, Sonic Fighters, Segasonic, Chaotix, and erm... something else too I think.

Nice to see Neg still flying the Sonic banner high and proud. The Sonic games always excited me, and were as much an excellent platforming experience as a thrill ride to play. Fingers crossed that Sonic Heroes delivers the above in spades.

Sonone was great, so fresh and new, the angular flowers which looked 3D, the falling edges of cliffs, the spinning through walls. Sonic 2 took this, upped it by X10 and was brilliant. Sonic 3 was alright, the istage in particular was good especially the music, Sonic and knuckles just continued this on (seeing as Sonic 3 was one game split into sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles) but had the better levels and bosses, even if the final boss is VERY VERY hard. Sonic 3 and knuckles is so great!

Nope, I guess not.

I'm just lazy.

(And I'd need to actually buy a GP32.)

A new Sonic Advance game wouldn't go amiss though.

I just want a compilation (a la Mega Collection) that has the 'leftovers'.

SMC2 needs Sonic CD, Sonic-R, Sonic Fighters, Segasonic, Chaotix, and erm... something else too I think.

Well your in for a treat. Sonic Advance 3 HAS been announced, but no screenshots yet. Sonic Heroes is out in a month, which looks to be in the right direction after the adventure series. Oh and Sonic Battle/Blast ( forgot the name ) has JUST been released in japan. A friend says its great. I don't even know how its supposed to be played.

Sonic Pinball ( not spinball ) was released a month back. Played the rom and its fun but it seems almost impossible to beat a single stage. Alot of tunes on there from NiGHTS, Samba and PSO also.

And whats mario got? kart? golf? pah, rubbish.

Sonic and knuckles just continued this on ... even if the final boss is VERY VERY hard.

Would that be the epic Doomsday Zone boss, or the giant robot on the Death St-..*ahem* Egg?

I loved that whole final Death Egg zone. Smashing the main computer system up was uber-fun! And then the upside-down giant ball with the deflectors and the spiker things... ahhh, top stuff!

Also forgot to mention, Naka really wants to add Sonic CD somehow. Beta screens of Mega Collection show that SCD was planned to be put in, but emu problems led to it being scraped. Sounds more like being lazy.

Anyhow, a rumor is Naka might add SCD as an unlockable on Heroes. But..eh...don't get your hopes up. Sonic Team can be pretty lazy of late.

An little snippit of info prehaps, both sonic advance games were done out of house, by some other development team. With only some advice from S-TEAM themselves. Good job I'd say.

And whats mario got? kart? golf? pah, rubbish.

Sonic tried karting once.

No-one spoke to him for a couple of years after that. :D

Sonic Drift came out before mario kart:FACT

And playing it recently on SADX, its not a bad attempt at all. The sequal is better slightly though.

And the reason sonic went all silent for..well...actually he didn't. But one of Sega's stupidest mistakes was not to launch Saturn with a new sonic game ( Sonic 3D was made prettyier but that don't count, and sonic jam came too late ).

Mind you. Sonic R was one of the only sonic games I havn't played besides the arcade sonic games. Any good then?

I actually didn't know that. Which is quite strange if true. Maybe I'm thinking of Sonic Drift 2 (which was for the Game Gear, right?) which - when it came out - I thought "hmm, a Mariokart rip-off" or something along those lines. :D

Mind you. Sonic R was one of the only sonic games I havn't played besides the arcade sonic games. Any good then?

Dunno, not played it.

Wouldn't mind it in a collection sort of thing, mind. 8)

I actually didn't know that. Which is quite strange if true. Maybe I'm thinking of Sonic Drift 2 (which was for the Game Gear, right?) which - when it came out - I thought "hmm, a Mariokart rip-off" or something along those lines. :D

Indeed, 92 it was released, mk in 93. And drift 2 in...oohh...94?

Oh yes...of course I forgot to mention the first sonic drift never left japan.

Tails Adventure on GG is suprisingly good too. Side-scrolling in an unusual way. But you need to get all 130 emblems and at least 40 missions in order to play it in DX. I guess the framerate would kill most of you by then 8)

Sonic and knuckles just continued this on ... even if the final boss is VERY VERY hard.

Would that be the epic Doomsday Zone boss, or the giant robot on the Death St-..*ahem* Egg?

I loved that whole final Death Egg zone. Smashing the main computer system up was uber-fun! And then the upside-down giant ball with the deflectors and the spiker things... ahhh, top stuff!

Its the one where your super sonic going through space, collecing trings whilst trying to hit Dr Robotnik. Ive forgotten a lot of it, but that bit was damn hard, and i was using an emu as well!

Its the one where your super sonic going through space, collecing trings whilst trying to hit Dr Robotnik. Ive forgotten a lot of it, but that bit was damn hard, and i was using an emu as well!

Ah yeah! Damned hard with a keyboard!

----------------------------------------------

My crowning achievement, however, would have to be Sonic 2's Death Egg Zone in under a minute and twenty.

sonic_score2.gif

As well as finishing all of Sonic 2 with Knuckles on one life.

Go me!

Well that's what I don't think they are at all! Which is why there's so much rivalry perhaps.

Sonic games are nothing like Mario games except that they are platform games. They are nice and simple, they test reflexes, and they get you from A to B. No maps or overworlds, or unlockable doors, or collecting things. They're more 'arcade-y' I think.

What you mean like the orginal Super Mario Bros then :D ?

What you mean like the orginal Super Mario Bros then ;) ?

Nah... more dynamic. ^_^

Ah yeah! Damned hard with a keyboard!

----------------------------------------------

My crowning achievement, however, would have to be Sonic 2's Death Egg Zone in under a minute and twenty.

sonic_score2.gif

As well as finishing all of Sonic 2 with Knuckles on one life.

Go me!

Green hill under 30secs

S3&K ALL FILES FULL.4 with sonic, sonic and tails, tails, knuckles super emeralds. An the other 4 with just normal emeralds. ALL with max lives and continues.

Must try doing s2 & k with one life heh.

Oh and I've been downloading the whole 10th anaversery cd from here..

http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/sonicroms/music/

All great, with Sonic CD Jap version tunes too. Which is oddly rappy, but in a good way.

wouldn't it be easier to buy it with DC SA2 from play-asia for $6?

They still sell it? At that small a price?

I dunno...I dislike ordering ANYTHING from the net. I keep thinking someones gonna take my credit card stuffs.

But...the whole 10th birthday set? As in CD, SA2, Gold sonic coin, sonic history booklet?

Well..thats damn tempting.... ^_^

Great isnt it, was selling for 40 quid on ebay, then lik-sang etc found millions of them and sold them for a tenner each. Bit werid, got my one though and it is loverly, so glad ive got it ;)

Gimmie a link or something ^_^

I dunno...I dislike ordering ANYTHING from the net. I keep thinking someones gonna take my credit card stuffs.

But...the whole 10th birthday set? As in CD, SA2, Gold sonic coin, sonic history booklet?

Well..thats damn tempting.... ;)

yep, www.play-asia.com

$6 or somesuch paltry fee, iirc

edit: it's $9.90, or £5.79. full set as your describe it.

may as well get Border Down or Ikaruga while you're on there ^_^

I haven't got it yet, just ordered GC Star Soldier and a NTSC Zelda special edition disc from them - I'm not going to order it on its own; I'll wait till I order Psyvariar 2 probably, and I already have GC SA2: Battle (which IS a good port :D )

Well..thats damn tempting.... ;)

yep, www.play-asia.com

$6 or somesuch paltry fee, iirc

edit: it's $9.90, or £5.79. full set as your describe it.

may as well get Border Down or Ikaruga while you're on there ^_^

I haven't got it yet, just ordered GC Star Soldier and a NTSC Zelda special edition disc from them - I'm not going to order it on its own; I'll wait till I order Psyvariar 2 probably, and I already have GC SA2: Battle (which IS a good port :D )

The fact its the japanese edition will make it even more rare someday.

I'M GONNA BUY 2

I was going to get this on the actual date, but lacked net access for a while at the time. Did get SA2 on dc on the birthday though...sweet day that was, along with conkers bad fur day, gba, pokemon gold. Ah....a day to remember indeed.

Anyhow. I'll be getting 2 just so I can have one sealed when I'm old and wrinkled and one so I can look at the book and music and eat the gold coin.

Now then, how many days for delivery? Is it coming from america or japan? credit cards I assume? Trustable?

And I've already got Ikaruga on GC....but thats a story for another time... ( tomorow ::wink:: )

So damn excited...I think I'll go try that 1 life knuckles run. With all emeralds too.

Now then, how many days for delivery? Is it coming from america or japan? credit cards I assume? Trustable?

all my play-asia packages have arrived less than a week after ordering, even when I order on Sat/Sun.

from Japan I think.

credit cards; but they take PayPal too ^_^

I've ordered 4 lots of stuff (I think) in the last year. all came promptly, usually 3 days after the 'order shipped email', well packaged and in perfect condition.

in other words, recommended.