Those games you keep going back to.

Lothar Hex

The ones I regularly go back to when I have a couple of days off to do some serious gaming:

Red Dead Redemption

Diablo 2 (probably the most common)

Red Alert 2

Geometry Wars 2

Braid

Oblivion (ES4)

Half Life 2

Super Mario Bros 2 & 3

Super Mario Kart

World of Goo

Grand Theft Auto 4

Portal

System Shock 1 & 2 (tho mainly just 2 now days)

Freespace 1 & 2

Certainly I replay a few things many times, and they're generally my favourite games aside from arcade stuff (I mean, I imagine I'll be firing up Pac-man, or Galaga, or Stargate for as long as I'm alive and playing games).

In terms of anything that takes more than 20 minutes to finish, I play through Dungeon Master at least once every year (Chaos Strikes Back a little less often, as it's so incredibly confusing and brutal). Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Vagrant Story, Monkey Island 2... all games that I have the same enthusiasm for as the first time I went through them, and ones that I've cleared more times than I can remember. In fact I'm in the midst of MGS and VS replays right now, and it only proves to me that I never had a better time with console gaming than the PS1 days.

Oddly enough I'm much less inclined to play through a relatively short platformer or arcade adventure than I am something that's heavy on story and characters. I think I've only played through Super Mario World once for example.

Every few years I like to go through the two Shenmue games. And each time is followed by a few days of nerd-sadness knowing that I can not move seamlessly onto Shenmue 3 to continue or complete the story. But it is still worth it. And pretty soon I will do it again.

That reminds me, did anyone see some black cars around on the day of the incident?

I get mildly obsessed with Ikaruga every now and again before being forced to admit I'll never be as good as I was at my mediocre best five years ago on the US GameCube version.

San Andreas too, my favourite game world for pissing about in. So epic.

I've never replayed any games. Anything story driven I'll play through once, or until I'm bored. The likes of driving games and sports games I'll constantly dip in and out of playing, but that's really not replaying.

I never have the time or inclination to look at half the good new stuff about, never mind replaying games I've already polished off.

Two of mine are Eternal Darkness and the original Project Zero. I never tire of playing and replaying those games.

There's something both nostalgic and delightful about their first few hours in particular, it takes me back to the pleasure of playing them for the first time, except I know every inch of their contents, and can play expertly from the off - it's complete indulgence and a different sort of enjoyment to playing a new game.

It's rare that I don't replay any of the games I own. Quite often I'll do the first go rather casually, take in the story etc, then move onto a 2nd, harder run where I just collect and do everything I can.

There are a few titles that I do return to year in, year out though for pure pleasure. The Metal Gears are probably the most played, with Snake Eater leading the pack. After that your looking at Half-Life 2, Shadow of the Colossus, God Hand & Wind Waker.

Ridge Racer 6... Think I'm on a third playthrough of the map. After completion, I eventually delete the save and start again... LOL. Just a race or two at a time, it's a brilliant time filler, if you like RR, of course.

I'm the same. Well, RR7. I completed all the GPs and loads of events when I first got a PS3, then I sold it for some reason. Then I bought it back and started all over again.

Also Sid Meier's Pirates, the PSP version is just perfect for a bit of time-killing. I think I've had about 4 or 5 games and still haven't completed the 'Path To Revenge' or whatever because I get too distracted fucking up the Spanish or looking for buried treasure. Absolutely timeless game.

I'm a bit shark-like when it comes to gaming and rarely stop, but I make special exception for two PSP games: Lumines and Ridge Racers which are both un-put-downable.

I always return to Rock Band as well, and have replayed Resident Evil 4 more times than I care to count (it's going through it in your RCPD outfit with the souped-up guns that make it so alluring). Oh, and Half-Life 2.

But the one game (series, really) I go back to is Super Street Fighter 4. Can't resist cracking the old TE out for a whirl every few weeks at the most.

Has no one mentioned Halo yet? Best game ever?!

Surely you'd expect the 10/10 games feature? Where are your Halos, Burnout 3s, LBP (lol) et all?

Civilisation 2. I really enjoy that one, tis ace. Although id still play the first one again...

Nah, it's shit.

Surely you'd expect the 10/10 games feature? Where are your Halos, Burnout 3s, LBP (lol) et all?

Nah, they're shit.

Civilisation 2. I really enjoy that one, tis ace. Although id still play the first one again...

Yeah, it's excellent!

(Just in case it wasn't clear: I'm joking about Halo. I'm surprised it hasn't featured too. Not really the sort of game to pull me back in again and again: FPS multiplayer modes just frustrate me, and the story isn't strong enough to draw me back for another playthrough, but I did enjoy playing through the single player when it came out.)

The original Resident Evil trilogy is one series of games I re-play at one point every so often. The games take between 5 - 10 hours to complete and are so atmospheric, engaging and paced, that I never have to find an excuse to play them. Also as they're survival horror, they're still fairly unique and they really don't make them like that anymore.

Aside from Resi, I revist parts of Half Life 2, Oblivion, the original Sonic the Hedgehog Mega Drive games, Mario 64, Ridge Racer Type 4, Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider and whatever racing game is to hand on my shelf.

Although games are just as great as they were when I was a kid, it has to be fairly special for me to hold onto them and re-play them.

Have anyone else got a game or selection of games that they keep going back to again and again, that just never stop being fun for you. I have three from the original Xbox. Halo, which has had enough coverage to not need anymore words devoted to it, but the other two don't get enough love.

(Just in case it wasn't clear: I'm joking about Halo. I'm surprised it hasn't featured too. Not really the sort of game to pull me back in again and again: FPS multiplayer modes just frustrate me, and the story isn't strong enough to draw me back for another playthrough, but I did enjoy playing through the single player when it came out.)

:quote:

Look, Matt, you can't expect me to read every post. I'm OLD. Didn't you see the games I go back to every year?

Someone certainly did. It earned me a few negs, for some reason, even though I was being entirely reasonable. Someone can't handle me not enjoying their beloved Spanish-killing game. Poor softheaded fools. Neg away! Won't stop me from disliking the game.

Look, Matt, you can't expect me to read every post. I'm OLD. Didn't you see the games I go back to every year?

Someone certainly did. It earned me a few negs, for some reason, even though I was being entirely reasonable. Someone can't handle me not enjoying their beloved Spanish-killing game. Poor softheaded fools. Neg away! Won't stop me from disliking the game.

Maybe not every post but I thought it was generally accepted that you read the first one? Or is that exempt once you reach a certain age?

As for the Spanish-killing game, I don't share your opinion but I'll fight to the death for your right to have an opinion. Well maybe not the fight to the death bit.